Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Landing in New Zealand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob.Steele(at)kzf.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Landing in New Zealand Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LANDING IN NEW ZEALAND..

Known as the land of the long white cloud, if you fly into New Zealand you could well encounter this scenario. Hold on to your seat. This is spectacular. One wonders why the airline industry doesn't have a live video feed from the aircraft's nose streamed into the cabin in order to amuse and bedazzle their weary travellers. Most of the new Generation Aircraft , in the last 10 yrs or so Do have Cameras, connected to feed Cabin, for PTVs ( Personal TVs on Seats )or the cabin Supervisor does put it on the Main screens during Takeoff and Landings ! ! Its been there for some Time ! This is the descent into Queenstown, New Zealand . Notice the mountain range he is flying toward. It must take great faith in your instruments to pilot an approach like this but the rush must be amazing.

Cockpit view landing through thick cloud

(Please open to Full Screen)

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Landing in New Zealand Reply with quote

Folks,
This is an example of the capability of modern GPS based navigation systems.
The aircraft (for NZ CAA approval to be gained) must be certified to Required Navigational Performance (RNP) 0.1, meaning track keeping to +/- 0.1 NM., plus the necessary precision vertical guidance, to accuracy close to a G/S.
Qantas Airways Ltd and Air New Zealand separately developed their proprietary procedures and crew training necessary for their operations, and it had been hugely beneficial both for arrival and departure reliability, for departure it has also enabled a B737-800 to lift a considerably greater payload, making Queenstown direct to a greater range of Australian destinations possible.
Queenstown is the main entry point to the NZ ski-fields.
The whole of the south island of NZ has some truly  spectacular flying, but if you go there, get well briefed by the locals, there are always some equally spectacular turbulence and mountain waves.
Coming from Wanaka to Wellington on one occasion, with a good friend of mine who has spent his flying life in these mountains, in the 500A, we sat in the upside of a rotor for over an hour, FL 130, cruising "top of the green", with only a trickle of power on to keep the CHT up --- great way to keep the NAMP down --- particularly at NZ avgas prices.
Commonly coming over the hills into Christchurch (B747-400) I have found myself with approach flap, gear down, engines at idle, and climbing 2000 fpm.
In the B767, there were days when I would overfly NZCH and descend over the sea, such was the turbulence in the lee-waves.
Their are  number of airfields in China  where RNP (Lhasa, Tibet, for one) has made the previously impossible, possible. Have a look on YouTube.
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton
[quote]
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Vormbaum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Landing in New Zealand Reply with quote

Bill, you’ve done the kind of flying I NEVER aspire to do Smile. I’m plenty happy swimming around in the shallows of the mini-mountain-waves of the Sierra Nevada mountains here in California, and getting my 1-3 hours of actual IMC time each year…
That being said, there was more than one occasion when I was a young 500B owner that I might have ended up in a bad spot were it not for the tutelage of Morris.

Cheers,

/J
[quote]On Apr 20, 2016, at 3:30 PM, William J Hamilton <wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.com.au (wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.com.au)> wrote:
Folks,This is an example of the capability of modern GPS based navigation systems.The aircraft (for NZ CAA approval to be gained) must be certified to Required Navigational Performance (RNP) 0.1, meaning track keeping to +/- 0.1 NM., plus the necessary precision vertical guidance, to accuracy close to a G/S.Qantas Airways Ltd and Air New Zealand separately developed their proprietary procedures and crew training necessary for their operations, and it had been hugely beneficial both for arrival and departure reliability, for departure it has also enabled a B737-800 to lift a considerably greater payload, making Queenstown direct to a greater range of Australian destinations possible.Queenstown is the main entry point to the NZ ski-fields.The whole of the south island of NZ has some truly spectacular flying, but if you go there, get well briefed by the locals, there are always some equally spectacular turbulence and mountain waves.Coming from Wanaka to Wellington on one occasion, with a good friend of mine who has spent his flying life in these mountains, in the 500A, we sat in the upside of a rotor for over an hour, FL 130, cruising "top of the green", with only a trickle of power on to keep the CHT up --- great way to keep the NAMP down --- particularly at NZ avgas prices.Commonly coming over the hills into Christchurch (B747-400) I have found myself with approach flap, gear down, engines at idle, and climbing 2000 fpm.In the B767, there were days when I would overfly NZCH and descend over the sea, such was the turbulence in the lee-waves.Their are number of airfields in China where RNP (Lhasa, Tibet, for one) has made the previously impossible, possible. Have a look on YouTube.Cheers,Bill Hamilton[quote]---

wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Landing in New Zealand Reply with quote

John
Over the years, I have had "some interesting experiences" over the Sierra Nevadas, but only at high level, I am glad my first experiences of same were with more senior colleagues, to whom it came as no surprise -- all in a day's work.
It is quite startling how far east of Denver the lee-waves from the front range can extend, it's a matter of "strap in and hang on".
Same thing happens over the Andes --- or almost anywhere the mountains are around 90 degrees to the prevailing winds.
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton
[quote]
---

kerry(at)kvelectric.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Landing in New Zealand Reply with quote

That's an awesome video and the music it perfect! 

Reminds me of a flight I made in my B60 Duke back in 94-95 from Lake Tahoe to Monterey. It was severe clear until we got to Monterey where the marine layer had the field right at minimums, we broke out at 250' AGL right on centerline.. It's one of those memories I will always have...
On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 9:12 PM, William J Hamilton <wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.com.au (wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.com.au)> wrote:
[quote]John
Over the years, I have had "some interesting experiences" over the Sierra Nevadas, but only at high level, I am glad my first experiences of same were with more senior colleagues, to whom it came as no surprise -- all in a day's work.
It is quite startling how far east of Denver the lee-waves from the front range can extend, it's a matter of "strap in and hang on".
Same thing happens over the Andes --- or almost anywhere the mountains are around 90 degrees to the prevailing winds.
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton
[quote]
---

tfisher(at)commandergroup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Landing in New Zealand Reply with quote

In Whistler British Columbia when I was flying helicopter medevac we had to fly below the mountain tops at night from Vancouver to Whistler.

We used 3 GPS for assurance we were in the middle of the valley.

Tom

former 680FLP (Mr.RPM)

ATP helicopter

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 3:42 PM, John Vormbaum <john(at)vormbaum.com (john(at)vormbaum.com)> wrote:
[quote]Bill, you’ve done the kind of flying I NEVER aspire to do Smile. I’m plenty happy swimming around in the shallows of the mini-mountain-waves of the Sierra Nevada mountains here in California, and getting my 1-3 hours of actual IMC time each year…

That being said, there was more than one occasion when I was a young 500B owner that I might have ended up in a bad spot were it not for the tutelage of Morris.
Cheers,
/J

[quote]On Apr 20, 2016, at 3:30 PM, William J Hamilton <wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.com.au (wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.com.au)> wrote:

Folks,
This is an example of the capability of modern GPS based navigation systems.
The aircraft (for NZ CAA approval to be gained) must be certified to Required Navigational Performance (RNP) 0.1, meaning track keeping to +/- 0.1 NM., plus the necessary precision vertical guidance, to accuracy close to a G/S.
Qantas Airways Ltd and Air New Zealand separately developed their proprietary procedures and crew training necessary for their operations, and it had been hugely beneficial both for arrival and departure reliability, for departure it has also enabled a B737-800 to lift a considerably greater payload, making Queenstown direct to a greater range of Australian destinations possible.
Queenstown is the main entry point to the NZ ski-fields.
The whole of the south island of NZ has some truly  spectacular flying, but if you go there, get well briefed by the locals, there are always some equally spectacular turbulence and mountain waves.
Coming from Wanaka to Wellington on one occasion, with a good friend of mine who has spent his flying life in these mountains, in the 500A, we sat in the upside of a rotor for over an hour, FL 130, cruising "top of the green", with only a trickle of power on to keep the CHT up --- great way to keep the NAMP down --- particularly at NZ avgas prices.
Commonly coming over the hills into Christchurch (B747-400) I have found myself with approach flap, gear down, engines at idle, and climbing 2000 fpm.
In the B767, there were days when I would overfly NZCH and descend over the sea, such was the turbulence in the lee-waves.
Their are  number of airfields in China  where RNP (Lhasa, Tibet, for one) has made the previously impossible, possible. Have a look on YouTube.
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton
[quote]
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: