Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New (Free) Aviation App

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: New (Free) Aviation App Reply with quote

Glenn,

I'm interested in the app but am concerned about how much "resources from my
phone" is required and I have to agree to including access to my camera,
microphone, contacts etc. This seems ways too much but since you presumably
designed the app, can you give us some insight as to how/when this ability
is used and why it's even requested?

Bevan

--

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: New (Free) Aviation App Reply with quote

I raised the same concerns when he first started advertising the app. At the time, his answer was basically, 'the guys who wrote it for me said it has to be that way.' (Obviously a crock.)

So, Glenn, what about it? Are you willing to force your developers into writing an app that isn't spyware? You might get more users if you do.
Charlie

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:48 PM, B Tomm <fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net (fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV7-List message posted by: "B Tomm" <fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net (fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net)>

Glenn,

microphone, contacts etc.  This seems ways too much but since you presumably

Bevan

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gbrasch

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: New (Free) Aviation App Reply with quote

Charlie, et al.  I have been fighting this battle with the app host from day one.  They insist, as I stated before, that these "permissions" are for potential future add on's, nothing that I plan on doing.  For example, and again as I said before, if in the future I tried to change the app to allow users to post pictures, that permission would be in effect.  There is no way I can "force them" to change this, I have tried to get them to change this and other issues I have had with them.  You could help me by complaining to them.  They are iBuildapp.com  And again as I have said, this is an Android issue, I am not an Android user but I have been told you can just say no to these, true or not?  I guess it depends on the phone. 

For this and several other issues I have had with them, I recently converted ALL the data from the app to a website, www.airportcourtesycars.com  It has been a pleasure dealing with a company like Go Daddy.  So bottom line, now the app works flawlessly on ANY device, just load the website on your phone, bookmark it to whatever screen you prefer, and your problem is solved.  The only difference is in the maps feature, you click on each state map instead of a button on the main page.  It is optimized for a computer, so it is a little twitchy on a phone, but looks great on a computer.
I hope this clears things up.  Glenn
On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]I raised the same concerns when he first started advertising the app. At the time, his answer was basically, 'the guys who wrote it for me said it has to be that way.' (Obviously a crock.)

So, Glenn, what about it? Are you willing to force your developers into writing an app that isn't spyware? You might get more users if you do.
Charlie

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:48 PM, B Tomm <fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net (fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV7-List message posted by: "B Tomm" <fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net (fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net)>

Glenn,

Bevan

--

Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" Website www.airportcourtesycars.com
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: New (Free) Aviation App Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like you need a different app company. This is most certainly *not* an android issue.

With android, it's hard for the user to selectively disable a lot of the stuff your app has permission to access. You can turn off location services (the one thing that *might* be useful within the app to some people) but the rest of the stuff there's little control except at the app builder's level.

There is no requirement built into android to have access to things the app doesn't actually need to access. Your image issue is a perfect example. If the app doesn't actually use the camera or transmit/receive photos, there is absolutely no reason for that to be included, *except* that the app builder is worthlessly lazy, or more likely, using your app users' personal information for the app builder's personal/business gain.

To see examples of minimal vs everything, just pick almost any function & try a dozen different apps. Some will demand access to everything, while others that perform the same function may only demand access to a couple of areas. Try some digital level/bubble level apps, for example.

Thanks for building the same functions into a web site; it's a good alternative 'til a solution can be found for the app.

Thanks for thinking of the app, and the work,

Charlie

On 5/30/2016 3:29 PM, Glenn Brasch wrote:

[quote] Charlie, et al.  I have been fighting this battle with the app host from day one.  They insist, as I stated before, that these "permissions" are for potential future add on's, nothing that I plan on doing.  For example, and again as I said before, if in the future I tried to change the app to allow users to post pictures, that permission would be in effect.  There is no way I can "force them" to change this, I have tried to get them to change this and other issues I have had with them.  You could help me by complaining to them.  They are iBuildapp.com  And again as I have said, this is an Android issue, I am not an Android user but I have been told you can just say no to these, true or not?  I guess it depends on the phone. 

For this and several other issues I have had with them, I recently converted ALL the data from the app to a website, www.airportcourtesycars.com  It has been a pleasure dealing with a company like Go Daddy.  So bottom line, now the app works flawlessly on ANY device, just load the website on your phone, bookmark it to whatever screen you prefer, and your problem is solved.  The only difference is in the maps feature, you click on each state map instead of a button on the main page.  It is optimized for a computer, so it is a little twitchy on a phone, but looks great on a computer.

I hope this clears things up.  Glenn

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] I raised the same concerns when he first started advertising the app. At the time, his answer was basically, 'the guys who wrote it for me said it has to be that way.' (Obviously a crock.)

Charlie

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:48 PM, B Tomm <[url=mailto:fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net]fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net (fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net)[/url]> wrote:
[quote]--> RV7-List message posted by: "B Tomm" <[url=mailto:fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net]fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net (fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net)[/url]>

Glenn,

Bevan

--

gbrasch

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Free) Aviation App Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie, I don't disagree with what you have said, I just know these are non issues with iPhone apps. That is probably why 9/10th of my downloads are on iPhones. And I understand why people would not want to download an app that asks for all those things. I do wonder however if the people that host the app are really sitting in a back room somewhere looking at pictures.

And your right, I need a new company, but have been unable to find one that does not require doing HTML code, which this one does not for computer dummies like me. I have thought about dumping them and the app altogether and sticking with the website that can be used on any phone, still may do that when my bill comes due, as I have spent over a year working on this and I still hear the same complaints, but at the same time how much people like the app. If I got paid minimum wage for the hours I have put into this I could go out and buy a nice new car. Take care and fly safe. Glenn

Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" Website www.airportcourtesycars.com
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: New (Free) Aviation App Reply with quote

I hope you don't think that it's pictures we're worried about. Most
people have their entire lives on their phones, and the app gives the
author access to the entire phone.

Google's motto is 'don't be evil', but apparently they're happy to allow
app writers to be as evil as they want.

On 5/30/2016 9:05 PM, gbrasch wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Charlie, I don't disagree with what you have said, I just know these are non issues with iPhone apps. That is probably why 9/10th of my downloads are on iPhones. And I understand why people would not want to download an app that asks for all those things. I do wonder however if the people that host the app are really sitting in a back room somewhere looking at pictures.

And your right, I need a new company, but have been unable to find one that does not require doing HTML code, which this one does not for computer dummies like me. I have thought about dumping them and the app altogether and sticking with the website that can be used on any phone, still may do that when my bill comes due, as I have spent over a year working on this and I still hear the same complaints, but at the same time how much people like the app. If I got paid minimum wage for the hours I have put into this I could go out and buy a nice new car. Take care and fly safe. Glenn

--------
Glenn Brasch
RV-9A Flying
Medevac Helicopter Pilot (Ret)
Owner, &quot;Airport Courtesy Cars&quot; Smart Phone App
and www.airportcourtesycars.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: