Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyvaccarella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously !! Reply with quote

In completing my MOD70 (Mass Balance arm replacement) I ran the checks that were called for in the MOD instructions. It calls for about 12 - 13 deg UP as measured from the tailplane trailing edge and 4 deg DOWN.

The build manual is more specific when it comes to this part of the construction. It partly says...
The tailplane trailing edge needs to rotate upwards 12 deg and downwards 4 deg to cover the full range.
You will notice (I hope) that as the trailing edge of the tailplane is raised the trailing edge of the tab
raises even further, the ratio being approximately 1.3 to 1. Therefore, when you have raised the
trailing edge of the tailplane by 12°, the tab should have raised 15.6° relative to the tailplane or 27.6°
from the zero start position.
A maximum total movement of 18° and a minimum of 14.4° relative to the tailplane is acceptable.

Similarly, moving the tailplane trailing edge down 4 deg from the zero reference point the tab should
move down 5.2° relative to the tailplane, or 9.2° relative to the zero reference position.
Well my aircraft behaves NOTHING like this. The previous owner (God bless him) decided to build the Trim Tabs inverted. That is to say that the hinges for the trim tabs are located at the BOTTOM of the tailplane, the actuator pins for the trim tabs are located ON TOP of the tailplane, and the pip-pin access recess is located at the BOTTOM of the tailplane.
The result of all this is that I only get about 5 deg up and 3 deg down but you have not heard the worst.....in this configuration when the stabiliser trailing edge is moved UP the trim tab goes DOWN and vice versa.

Can you now see why Im at my wits end? This what I inherited from a partially built project.... Sad

Besides running a bulldozer through the Europa, any ideas on what I should do?

Regards,
Tony

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

IMG_20161005_171022.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.37 MB
 Viewed:  5896 Time(s)

IMG_20161005_171022.jpg

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously !! Reply with quote

From this photo that you have posted the tail plane and trim tab look upside down. The metal pin that goes into the "T" piece should be at the bottom and not on show like that from above.

Regards Frank kit#165

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tonyvaccarella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously !! Reply with quote

Thanks Frank
I realised that was one of the issues earlier today.

Can't believe they did this and thought it was OK.

Thanks for your reply.

Tony.

rowlandcarson(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously !! Reply with quote

On 2016-10-05, at 14:33, tonyvaccarella <tony(at)weimagine.com.au> wrote:

Quote:
The previous owner (God bless him) decided to build the Trim Tabs inverted. That is to say that the hinges for the trim tabs are located at the BOTTOM of the tailplane, the actuator pins for the trim tabs are located ON TOP of the tailplane, and the pip-pin access recess is located at the BOTTOM of the tailplane.
The result of all this is that I only get about 5 deg up and 3 deg down but you have not heard the worst.....in this configuration when the stabiliser trailing edge is moved UP the trim tab goes DOWN and vice versa.

Tony - is it possible that you have put the port tailplane on the starboard side and vice-versa? Reversing their positions thwartwise would appear to cause all the sorts of problems you mention.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

tonyvaccarella

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously !! Reply with quote

Having spoken to a few builders this in fact seems like the most logical thing.
I certainly appear to have egg on my face if this is confirmed. I will swap their position when I get back from the Oz-Kosh airshow in Narromine NSW.
Thanks
Tony.

tonyvaccarella

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously !! Reply with quote

Having spoken to a few builders this in fact seems like the most logical thing.
I certainly appear to have egg on my face if this is confirmed. I will swap their position when I get back from the Oz-Kosh airshow in Narromine NSW.
Thanks
Tony.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: