Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baffling question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Baffling question Reply with quote

You could if you want, but there is no practical reason to do so. This is to reduce turbulent flow coming into the baffle area, not to seal anything.

If memory serves, you may need to trim the sides a little to clear the baffling.

Carl

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Miller John
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2016 9:35 AM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com (rv8-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Baffling question

Please see the attached picture where I have epoxied the airflow smoother to the upper cowling. The question for the list is should I try to fill in the void between the smoother and the cowling to prevent airflow going through this area? If so, what did you use to seal off the area so that there is no airflow underneath the smoother.

The plans are silent on this. The sides of the smoother are close to the metal baffles, but there is a small gap between the edges of the smoother piece and the metal baffles.

Thanks - Grumpy

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Laz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Baffling question Reply with quote

I did my 8 cowl last year and after much research did fill the inside void.  I did it primarily to give the rubber seal an area to sit against .  Sealing the baffle in that area can be challenging, but I thought it was worth the effort. 
I used a piece of blue Dow Blue foam to shape the the area and did a two ply lay up to cover the area.  It adds very little weight.  one important thing to remember is fit the cowl first before epoxying the baffle in place even where you have the clecos.  The cowl should be fitted to the bottom half on the plane as the Epoxy dries.  You can fill the sides after that without fear of warping.
Mike
On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Quote:

You could if you want, but there is no practical reason to do so.  This is to reduce turbulent flow coming into the baffle area, not to seal anything.

If memory serves, you may need to trim the sides a little to clear the baffling.

Carl

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Miller John
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2016 9:35 AM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com (rv8-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Baffling question

Please see the attached picture where I have epoxied the airflow smoother to the upper cowling.  The question for the list is should I try to fill in the void between the smoother and the cowling to prevent airflow going through this area?  If so, what did you use to seal off the area so that there is no airflow underneath the smoother.

The plans are silent on this.  The sides of the smoother are close to the metal baffles, but there is a small gap between the edges of the smoother piece and the metal baffles.

Thanks - Grumpy

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: