Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woxofswa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Short version, there have been three in flight failures of the MT prop govs in rapid succession, on three different RV10's, the most recent being mine on Sat the 13th and the previous on the 6th.

I know this is cheeky to say and I apologize to Matt in advance, but full discussion with pictures of all three events are on TOF (the other forum).

Two failed to high pitch and oversped. Mine went to coarse pitch. Two of the three actually breached the side wall of the PG case resulting in massive oil leakage that you wouldn't know about until it is gone.

Several entities working on this. I personally would not fly an aircraft with this PG until this is resolved.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Last edited by woxofswa on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
woxofswa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Mine is the bottom one. I tried to show the damage from same orientation. These happened a week apart.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

woxofswa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Question... After reading the threads and noticing the discussion on a SB from a few years ago, I am wondering... How old or are there any similar dates of manufacture on these 3?
I have one P-860-3 that was installed in 2005 and has 1200 hrs and there are many flying from that era and these are the first failures of this type I've heard of. So either I've been way out of touch (which I don't think it is as I communicate with many on things like this) or there is some other piece of info missing that may be common to the situation. If they were all of newer vintage perhaps that would explain it?
Tim

Quote:
On Aug 15, 2016, at 5:14 PM, woxofswa <woxof(at)aol.com> wrote:

Short version, there have been three in flight failures of the MT prop govs in rapid succession, on three different RV10's, the most recent being mine on Sat the 13th and the previous on the 6th.

I know this is cheeky to say and I apologize to Matt in advance, but full discussion with pictures of all three events are on TOF (the other forum).

Two failed to high pitch and oversped. Mine went to coarse pitch. Two of the three actually breached to wall of PG resulting in massive oil leakage that you wouldn't know about until it is gone.

Several entities working on this. I personally would not fly an aircraft with this PG until this is resolved.

--------
Myron Nelson
Mesa, AZ
Flew May 10 2014

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=459523#459523

jrlark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Tim, my MT governor failed right out of the box. The bushing seized almost
instantly where the drive shaft exited the housing, which caused a prop over
speed, and ruined the crankshaft of my IO-540. My MT governor was listed on
SB#27 which unfortunately I didn't know about. 3 months and $10K later I've
started test flying again. Not happy to say the least.....

Rick
Southampton, Ont

--

woxofswa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Good question Tim.

Mine carries 10/11 on the sticker and 9/11 on the data plate. I don't know the dates on the others other than Van's says they're "similar" as all three came in Van's RV10 finish kits. They are trying to nail down the actual dates as we speak. These were actually manufactured by an entity with an unpronouncable name starting with J that makes for different brands.

According to MT-USA today, the SB only applies to units that carry 2012/2013 dates. They checked mine this afternoon and said it was outside of the SB.

Last edited by woxofswa on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
civengpe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Quote:
From the photos posted, it appears all were manufactured late 2011 to early 2012 and we're all sourced from Van's.  

Mine was manufactured in mid 2012 and purchased directly from MT in Germany. It is currently in route to MT in Florida to have the SB performed as well as thoroughly inspected. 
Shannon

On Monday, August 15, 2016, Sandra & Rick <jrlark(at)bmts.com (jrlark(at)bmts.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: "Sandra & Rick" <[url=javascript:;]jrlark(at)bmts.com[/url]>

Tim, my MT governor failed right out of the box.  The bushing seized almost
SB#27 which unfortunately I didn't know about.  3 months and $10K later I've
started test flying again.  Not happy to say the least.....

Rick
Southampton, Ont

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

That's basically pointing in the direction I was thinking. Yours was a low-time failure and manufactured fairly recently. Rick's was the same. I don't know what Todd's story was on time but I don't think he has as much time as many do. So if these were manufactured more recently maybe that's the common issue. There were many P-860-3's sold... Mine being installed in 2005, but it's only recently that these came up. So there may be a difference in materials for the vintage or something. Very interesting though.
Tim

Quote:
On Aug 15, 2016, at 6:09 PM, woxofswa <woxof(at)aol.com> wrote:

Good question Tim.

Mine carries 10/11 on the sticker and 9/11 on the data plate. These were actually manufactured by an entity with an unpronouncable name starting with J that makes for different brands.

According to MT-USA today, the SB only applies to units that carry 2012/2013 dates. They checked mine this afternoon and said it was outside of the SB.

--------
Myron Nelson
Mesa, AZ
Flew May 10 2014

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=459528#459528

gengrumpy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

I'm in the same manufacturing date for P-860-3 as Tim -- 2005. And so far, nary a glitch with it (knock on wood). Like Tim, flying since 2006, but not as many hours as Tim.

Grumpy
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 15, 2016, at 7:25 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

That's basically pointing in the direction I was thinking. Yours was a low-time failure and manufactured fairly recently. Rick's was the same. I don't know what Todd's story was on time but I don't think he has as much time as many do. So if these were manufactured more recently maybe that's the common issue. There were many P-860-3's sold... Mine being installed in 2005, but it's only recently that these came up. So there may be a difference in materials for the vintage or something. Very interesting though.
Tim

> On Aug 15, 2016, at 6:09 PM, woxofswa <woxof(at)aol.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Good question Tim.
>
> Mine carries 10/11 on the sticker and 9/11 on the data plate. These were actually manufactured by an entity with an unpronouncable name starting with J that makes for different brands.
>
> According to MT-USA today, the SB only applies to units that carry 2012/2013 dates. They checked mine this afternoon and said it was outside of the SB.
>
> --------
> Myron Nelson
> Mesa, AZ
> Flew May 10 2014
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=459528#459528

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Makes me wonder...I am on road with plane right now. My governor came direct ship from Germany and is the -5 variant specified for the wide deck engines, not the -3 that Vans sells. My prop was assembled by MT in FL and shipped direct to me. Have 700 mi flight tomorrow to get home. Guess will have to plan route to avoid over the water and desolate stretches.

-sent from the I-chip implanted in my forearm

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Shannon Hicks <civeng123(at)gmail.com (civeng123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]>From the photos posted, it appears all were manufactured late 2011 to early 2012 and we're all sourced from Van's.  

Mine was manufactured in mid 2012 and purchased directly from MT in Germany. It is currently in route to MT in Florida to have the SB performed as well as thoroughly inspected. 
Shannon

On Monday, August 15, 2016, Sandra & Rick <jrlark(at)bmts.com (jrlark(at)bmts.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: "Sandra & Rick" <jrlark(at)bmts.com>

Rick
Southampton, Ont

--

philperry9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Kelly - The folk who experienced the failure said they felt like 10 min of time before becoming a glider was about what they experienced.
Might be worth carrying a tad bit more oil in the sump while this gets figured out.
Checked my -3 and it's 1/11 date. (9 months before one of the failed gov's) My fingers are crossed that they can get this figured it soon since I should be flying fairly soon.
Phil

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 15, 2016, at 7:46 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Makes me wonder...I am on road with plane right now. My governor came direct ship from Germany and is the -5 variant specified for the wide deck engines, not the -3 that Vans sells. My prop was assembled by MT in FL and shipped direct to me. Have 700 mi flight tomorrow to get home. Guess will have to plan route to avoid over the water and desolate stretches.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Shannon Hicks <civeng123(at)gmail.com (civeng123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]>From the photos posted, it appears all were manufactured late 2011 to early 2012 and we're all sourced from Van's.

Mine was manufactured in mid 2012 and purchased directly from MT in Germany. It is currently in route to MT in Florida to have the SB performed as well as thoroughly inspected.
Shannon

Rick
Southampton, Ont

--

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

I suspect extra oil might only get you and extra minute, and might get on the belly ahead of a failure, via the breather tube.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Kelly - The folk who experienced the failure said they felt like 10 min of time before becoming a glider was about what they experienced.  
Might be worth carrying a tad bit more oil in the sump while this gets figured out.  
Checked my -3 and it's 1/11 date.   (9 months before one of the failed gov's) My fingers are crossed that they can get this figured it soon since I should be flying fairly soon.  
Phil

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 15, 2016, at 7:46 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Makes me wonder...I am on road with plane right now. My governor came direct ship from Germany and is the -5 variant specified for the wide deck engines, not the -3 that Vans sells. My prop was assembled by MT in FL and shipped direct to me. Have 700 mi flight tomorrow to get home. Guess will have to plan route to avoid over the water and desolate stretches.

Shannon

Rick
Southampton, Ont

--

philperry9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Basically I was just saying that I wouldn't knowingly be running it on the lower end.. If carry as much as possible without giving it so much that it would blow out.
I should have mentioned that 90 kts was the limp-along speed reported without over speeding (again).
The over speeding has occurred in 2 of the 3. Both of those props became decorations and the engine cases split for inspection.   (I believe 1 owner found it was cheaper/better to buy a new IO-540 than to repair the existing one. That's 2nd hand knowledge from a reasonably good source though, so don't hold me to it if it's wrong.)
Phil
Do not archive

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 15, 2016, at 9:22 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]I suspect extra oil might only get you and extra minute, and might get on the belly ahead of a failure, via the breather tube.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Kelly - The folk who experienced the failure said they felt like 10 min of time before becoming a glider was about what they experienced.
Checked my -3 and it's 1/11 date. (9 months before one of the failed gov's) My fingers are crossed that they can get this figured it soon since I should be flying fairly soon.
Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Mine was manufactured in mid 2012 and purchased directly from MT in Germany. It is currently in route to MT in Florida to have the SB performed as well as thoroughly inspected.
Shannon

Rick
Southampton, Ont

--

woxofswa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

One thing that I will add is that I get what experimental aviation is all about and that we exist and are successful because we all absorb liability for own misfortunes.

However, this is a now at least a three peat failure of a CERTIFIED part, each one of which sold carried a chunk of liability insurance cost for just these types of failures that we paid for ourselves in the purchase cost.

I'm not looking for anything other than being made whole and for preventing something like this from happening in the future with, God forbid, less fortunate results.

jrlark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Guys my governor chewed itself up internally, the bushing spun on the drive
shaft, which opened up a misshaped hole in the housing, which allowed the
gears inside to scallop and gouge the inside. The unit was tested and had
more than 50% leakage, ie it wasn't putting out enough pressure to operate
the prop blades. Unfortunately from the onset there was no indication of a
problem other than the over speed, which I eventually adjusted out by moving
the arm on the splined shaft. Had I not taken the governor off and tested
it, I would have probably kept flying. Since it happened on the very first
flight of my -10, I had no reason to suspect anything was amiss.
Of course MT is bearing no responsibility from the emails I've seen so
far.......
Rick

--

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

I've checked the plate on my MT860-3 manufactured in 11/10 but it says
made by Avia-Propeller not by Jihostroj.

It looks as well a tad different then the one on the pictures from Myron.

Cheers Werner

woxofswa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Mine actually says AVIA as well.

Big news day. Update to follow

woxofswa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Quick update after today's adventures.

1. There are now four confirmed failures. Details on the fourth are forthcoming, but apparently happened on first flight. My flight time was 235 hours, I believe one other was 140ish and another over 1000.

2. Of the three previously known and described here, all three units were shipped by Van's in a five month span of late 2011/early 2012.

3. Alan Barrett gave me a list of things to do to check my engine. Unfortunately, we found significant metal in the finger filter and the main oil filter media. There was only about 12 hours on the oil since last check which was clean.

4. Hartzell said that since mine over torqued instead of oversped, the prop wasn't necessarily toast but because of metal in oil, the prop would need to be torn down and serviced. Hartzell was already fully aware of the situation when I called them.

5: Obviously all red arrows point to MT, with Van's, Lycoming, Hartzell, and BPE being coincidences. (So far). The MT-USA office keeps pointing to the German office which I have yet to talk to because they close at 8:00 am Pacific time and are on some kind of holiday as well.

6. My insurance is AIG with Gallagher. They were very up to date on the issue before I called and are trying to be helpful. They are working with at least one of the other parties as well. An AIG adjuster is meeting with me at the hangar tomorrow.

tsts4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

philperry9 wrote:
Basically I was just saying that I wouldn't knowingly be running it on the lower end.. If carry as much as possible without giving it so much that it would blow out.
I should have mentioned that 90 kts was the limp-along speed reported without over speeding (again).
The over speeding has occurred in 2 of the 3. Both of those props became decorations and the engine cases split for inspection. � (I believe 1 owner found it was cheaper/better to buy a new IO-540 than to repair the existing one. That's 2nd hand knowledge from a reasonably good source though, so don't hold me to it if it's wrong.)

Oh and to Tim's question my failure occurred at 138 hours. Also even though my gov was manufactured in 2012, it was not affected bu SB 27.

Phil

Sorry about the tardiness of this post as I just became aware of these threads here on Matronics as I don't visit here anymore.

Anyway, Phil is correct that I limped home at 90 knots for about 20 min. I lost about 1/2 to 3/4 of a qt of oil in the process (started the day with 8 ). Of course at the time I had no idea that I was losing oil at all--all I knew was I had no prop control and anything above 14" would run the RPM to redline.

Last edited by tsts4 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
philperry9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: MT P860-3 Prop Gov fail. Reply with quote

Perhaps it's just me, but having MT develop a solution to the gov so quickly makes me uneasy.

To my knowledge, none if the failed gov's have been forensically examined by MT in a lab.

Yet, they're getting ready to publish a solution?

Isn't step #1 to the solution a root cause analysis?

Even with a SB coming out, I'm still uneasy and ultimately skeptical that the solution addresses a problem that isn't fully understood by them.

Or, perhaps they HAVE known the details and fully understood the potential for failure, but failed to address it until the units began failing in the field? I know that's conspiracy theory stuff, but it would be the only way they could develop a solution for failures they haven't researched.

Either way, I'm uneasy with a solution that comes out of MT without having real analysis performed on the failed parts.

Just had to get that off my chest because I feel like others are thinking (or feeling) the same thing. Thanks for letting me rant for just a moment.....

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 18, 2016, at 4:54 PM, tsts4 <tsts4(at)verizon.net> wrote:

philperry9 wrote:
> Basically I was just saying that I wouldn't knowingly be running it on the lower end.. If carry as much as possible without giving it so much that it would blow out.
>
>
> I should have mentioned that 90 kts was the limp-along speed reported without over speeding (again).
>
>
> The over speeding has occurred in 2 of the 3. Both of those props became decorations and the engine cases split for inspection. � (I believe 1 owner found it was cheaper/better to buy a new IO-540 than to repair the existing one. That's 2nd hand knowledge from a reasonably good source though, so don't hold me to it if it's wrong.)
>
>
> Phil

Sorry about the tardiness of this post as I just became aware of these threads here on Matronics as I don't visit here anymore.

Anyway, Phil is correct that I limped home at 90 knots for about 20 min. I lost about 1/2 to 3/4 of a qt of oil in the process (started the day with Cool. Of course at the time I had no idea that I was losing oil at all--all I knew was I had no prop control and anything above 14" would run the RPM to redline.

--------
Todd Stovall
aka Auburntsts on EAA, AOPA, Purple Pilots, VAF, and RVairspace
RV-10 N728TT
Empacone, Wings, Fuse, Finishing
www.mykitlog.com/auburntsts

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=459621#459621

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: