Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flour Bombing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markdavis(at)wbsnet.org

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

Phil,
     It all depends on the shape/weight of the "bomb" and whatever course rules they set up for the bombing, such as minimum altitude, airspeed, dive angle (if any allowed).  So the best chance is to find out those parameters, make your own practice "bombs" and go see what works.  Chucking them over the side works fine particularly if you have a GIB, but they have to be consistent on how they throw it over the side and make sure it's thrown out the same side every time to be able to predict the effect of prop wash.  For YAKs if prefer the left side so the prop wash is pushing down to lessen the chance of hitting the horizontal stab.  The pilot has to be very consistent with altitude/airspeed and then look for clues as to wind direction/velocity to make corrections.   With a little practice at YAK/CJ speeds you can get pretty accurate.  I also suggest taking a roll of masking tape along to reinforce whatever bombs you're given so you don't have to clean flour out of the aft cockpit when one "explodes" prematurely as it enters the slipstream.

Fly Navy,
Mark Davis
N44YK

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Philip Nicholson
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 7:37 AM
To: Yak-List
Subject: Flour Bombing

Hi guys,
There’s a flour bombing competition at the local strip next weekend.
Does anyone have any clever ideas on releasing the bag of flour? Surely there’s a better way than simply heaving it over the side onto the wing and having it slide of. Secondly, does anyone have any tactics they wish to share? i.e., how many feet in front of the target to release… whether to ‘toss’ it or approach level etc? Any formulas? J
Never done it before so any input welcome.

Phil N.
Nanchang – CJ6A
C-FEPN - Ottawa

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
jblake207(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

Phil, constants are the key... level altitude and constant ground speed. Having someone on the ground giving you a battle damage assessment is vital. Pick a speed (110) and altitude (200) and as the target disappears under the leading edge wing if releasing from back seat or the nose if from front seat toss down and aft... then adjust azimuth and release point based on BDA report from the ground guy.  Another technique is to dive towards a point just beyond the target...maybe 20-30 feet and try to maintain a constant speed in the dive and release at 250 feet or just as you're pulling out. CAUTION... TARGET FIXATION IS A REAL DANGER AND YOU'LL BUST THE HARD DECK OR YOUR ASS. This dive bomb technique is less accurate and higher risk in my opinion. And finally the best technique for a winning score is to bribe the judge... Good luck. Saber

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Philip Nicholson <pednicholson(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi guys,
Does anyone have any clever ideas on releasing the bag of flour? Surely there’s a better way than simply heaving it over the side onto the wing and having it slide of. Secondly, does anyone have any tactics they wish to share? i.e., how many feet in front of the target to release… whether to ‘toss’ it or approach level etc? Any formulas? J

Phil N.
Nanchang – CJ6A
C-FEPN - Ottawa

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

If we tell you how to do it then you become competition!
However being a good sport what you want to do is line the airplane up (your Center Line with the target) when you can see it, pick-up a point out on one side of the airplane even with the target far enough out so that you can see it when you go directly over the target .   Toss the bag of flour out the back or out the front.   Do so as the reference point you picked even with the target, is about a foot in front of the Leading Edge of the wing.  This is good for a 200-foot altitude at cruise speed.  
Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/19/2016 9:36 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Yak-List <Yak-List(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Yak-List: Flour Bombing

Hi guys,

Phil N.
Nanchang – CJ6A
C-FEPN - Ottawa

billlang(at)live.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

The Australian contingent of Yak/Chang operators, Red Radials Air Brigade (light expeditionary) or RRABLE, has been doing flour bombing as part of our 6 monthly fly away competitions for several years now. Fully risk assessed, with SOP for that and other exercises including streamer cutting, we have CASA approval (ozFAA). If you don't want to reinvent the wheel, contact me off list and I can email all you need.
Bill

Sent from my iPad

On 20 Aug 2016, at 01:52, Jon Blake <jblake207(at)comcast.net (jblake207(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Phil, constants are the key... level altitude and constant ground speed. Having someone on the ground giving you a battle damage assessment is vital. Pick a speed (110) and altitude (200) and as the target disappears under the leading edge wing if releasing from back seat or the nose if from front seat toss down and aft... then adjust azimuth and release point based on BDA report from the ground guy.  Another technique is to dive towards a point just beyond the target...maybe 20-30 feet and try to maintain a constant speed in the dive and release at 250 feet or just as you're pulling out. CAUTION... TARGET FIXATION IS A REAL DANGER AND YOU'LL BUST THE HARD DECK OR YOUR ASS. This dive bomb technique is less accurate and higher risk in my opinion. And finally the best technique for a winning score is to bribe the judge... Good luck. Saber

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Philip Nicholson <pednicholson(at)gmail.com (pednicholson(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Hi guys,

Phil N.
Nanchang – CJ6A
C-FEPN - Ottawa

pnicholson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Flour bombing Reply with quote

Gents,
thanks very much for the input and the entertaining stories. Will let you know how it goes!
Phil
C-FEPN
CJ6A

McFly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Flour bombing Reply with quote

Best advice I can give is:
- set a hard deck; don't let anyone go below and ensure that there is someone on the ground that can call them off/abort the run. 300' is the normal. That's bottom of dive, not release height.
- don't let them get slow. Low and slow is no place to be. Guys think flying at stall speed with everything hanging out helps; it doesn't.
- limit dive angles. 10 degrees should be the max. Again; have someone that can abort the run of they see something hinky.

Todd McCutchanT-34A & Yak-50
Cell: (260) 402-1740
E-mail: todd(at)fastaircraft.com (todd(at)fastaircraft.com)
www.fastaircraft.com
On Aug 22, 2016, at 9:43 AM, Philip Nicholson <pednicholson(at)gmail.com (pednicholson(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Gents,
thanks very much for the input and the entertaining stories. Will let you know how it goes!
Phil
C-FEPN
CJ6A

KDVT Hangar 33-13

Cell - 260.402.1740

Email: todd@fastaircraft.com
Web: www.fastaircraft.com & www.flyams.com
pnicholson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Flour Bombing Reply with quote

Gents,
Just wanted to say thank you for all of the advice.  I did what was recommended: 300 AGL at 100kts, release 100ft prior, and came first place Smile
Some initial thoughts (for newbies):
1.  You cant see the target on the final approach. You have to line up some ways back and watch it disappear under your nose.
2.  The key for me was the 100ft early release.  I paced it back from the center of the target. Because you cant see the 'target -100 spot' on the ground, you have to select points right and left as bomb release indicators.  Make sure they are far enough away from the target (left and right) so you can see them.
3.  Almost all competition bombs went long.
4. Some pilots take it very seriously, cheating on altitude, removing doors so the bombardier can hang out over the target etc and lose sorely Smile
All in all a great day.
Thanks,
Phil
C-FEPN
(CJ6A)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: