Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spare parts box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: spare parts box Reply with quote

As my friends have joked, I carry a “machine shop” in the baggage area; one item is a small (less than ten pounds) box of spare parts that include a spare tube for each size of wheel, several extra circuit breakers, brake pads on shoes, alternator diodes, fuel and oil transducers, etc. Remember you are always your own mechanic; carry some tools, spare parts and extra fasteners. Also in this case, if it is truly a pinhole, it may have been possible to air the tire and check time to deflate. Then you know how much time in the air you have to land at a more suitable maintenance location.

N46007

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: spare parts box Reply with quote

The brakes on shoes aren't a bad idea. Finding those in the field
would be tough. I do carry some fuses as required, but breakers I
don't. I think by swapping less critical stuff around I could
probably juggle breakers OK and not worry about them.
I do carry alternator diodes, mag points, and a mag brush if that's
what it's called, and condenser. I don't have fuel and oil transducers
though.

I should probably add the o-ring kit for the brakes and prop. I do
have a few spare prop o-rings but haven't added them to my travel
kit yet. Good idea. The brake o-rings I should definitely do
too. They would be light.

For the leaking tank drain I'd suggest a 1/8" NPT plug instead.
If it's gonna leak, just yank the sucker out and plug it to get
home.

So all good ideas there.

I swapped out the tire and tube today...went to a used tire and tube
from my last tire change...still had a bunch of life left on it anyway.
There was no major damage to the tube. I haven't yet looked for the
leak but it held a couple PSI with no issue overnight, so it's almost
definitely a pinhole leak like the other tube I bought at the same
time suffered. Maybe it was a bad run of tubes. I could have easily
patched that leak with the patch kit that I carry. The only
tough part was being way up in the boonies where nobody had any
real tools or jacks. If I could have located even one RV builder
up there, I probably would have been fine. As it was, i'd have had an
easier time if I was stuck in the bahamas. Once I got my tools there
and started today though, it was quick work and I was ready to
go. So my biggest lesson learned on this one is to buy one of those
1-1/8" saddle clamps so I can jack the thing up easy, and be
prepared for that. I may also try to see if I can come up with some
sort of lever lifter that I can weld up. Then if I am flying to
remote places I'll throw it in...not for normal trips. I can't
take the kitchen sink on every trip. But, I can prepare better
when I know I'm going to nowheresville.

Tim
On 9/5/2016 10:00 AM, David wrote:
Quote:
As my friends have joked, I carry a “machine shop” in the baggage area;
one item is a small (less than ten pounds) box of spare parts that
include a spare tube for each size of wheel, several extra circuit
breakers, brake pads on shoes, alternator diodes, fuel and oil
transducers, etc. Remember you are always your own mechanic; carry some
tools, spare parts and extra fasteners. Also in this case, if it is
truly a pinhole, it may have been possible to air the tire and check
time to deflate. Then you know how much time in the air you have to land
at a more suitable maintenance location.

N46007

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

amekler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: spare parts box Reply with quote

Linen,
What size is the pipe?
Is it threaded?
Very practical

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Sep 5, 2016, at 7:56 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

Here's a picture of what I've done to remove the wheels ......

<WHEEL JACK 02.JPG>
The pipe doesn't have to be that long ..... it just needs to be long enough to pull the wheel off the axle. Almost every car now comes with scissors jacks to borrow so you don't have to lug one around.
Linn

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: spare parts box Reply with quote

I was tempted to try that this weekend. One of the big things that stopped me was the fact that then I would not know the cause of the failure or how bad it was. In my case it may have worked. Also, I didn't have the ability to roll the tire to distribute it easily...unless i taxied the plane around for a while.  The tube held air for about 5-10 minutes before deflating. I just figure the real prudent thing to do is never depart with a known issue.  If you fix it or even just do a field fix that you know will work, you can leave feeling much better about it.
Tim

On Sep 5, 2016, at 8:21 PM, William Greenley <wgreenley(at)gmail.com (wgreenley(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I wish that were true, but as I have been car shopping, I have found many cars no longer have a spare, just a pressure can that sprays goop in the tire and inflates it.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Here's a picture of what I've done to remove the wheels ......

<WHEEL JACK 02.JPG>
The pipe doesn't have to be that long ..... it just needs to be long enough to pull the wheel off the axle. Almost every car now comes with scissors jacks to borrow so you don't have to lug one around.
Linn

cooprv7(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: spare parts box Reply with quote

I’ve not tried the pipe trick yet as I’ve always been able to jack up the wing. But it just occurred to me a tire iron would probably also work and since folks are probably needing to borrow the scissor jack if an off base repair is needed, you can probably find a tire iron as well.
Cheers,
Marcus

On Sep 5, 2016, at 10:56 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:

I was tempted to try that this weekend. One of the big things that stopped me was the fact that then I would not know the cause of the failure or how bad it was. In my case it may have worked. Also, I didn't have the ability to roll the tire to distribute it easily...unless i taxied the plane around for a while. The tube held air for about 5-10 minutes before deflating. I just figure the real prudent thing to do is never depart with a known issue. If you fix it or even just do a field fix that you know will work, you can leave feeling much better about it.
Tim
On Sep 5, 2016, at 8:21 PM, William Greenley <wgreenley(at)gmail.com (wgreenley(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I wish that were true, but as I have been car shopping, I have found many cars no longer have a spare, just a pressure can that sprays goop in the tire and inflates it.
On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Here's a picture of what I've done to remove the wheels ...... <WHEEL JACK 02.JPG> The pipe doesn't have to be that long ..... it just needs to be long enough to pull the wheel off the axle. Almost every car now comes with scissors jacks to borrow so you don't have to lug one around. Linn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: