Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slick Ignition Harness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

Quote:

I need to replace the ignition wires on my slick magneto. When I called Skytronics to get one they said they only did goverment work now. I initially had a custom harness made so I don't know if off the shelf wire lengths will be ok. Anybody know of a source for harnesses? Or how to find out the lead lengths of standard harnesses?
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

I called that harness/mag seller...blanking on the name right now. They were able to have a custom one made for me. Both slick and Kelly I think will do it. Anyway, I was able to get one for the IO-390.
Tim

On Sep 11, 2016, at 11:37 AM, Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Quote:

I need to replace the ignition wires on my slick magneto. When I called Skytronics to get one they said they only did goverment work now. I initially had a custom harness made so I don't know if off the shelf wire lengths will be ok. Anybody know of a source for harnesses? Or how to find out the lead lengths of standard harnesses?
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

If you send your harness to Herber Aircraft in SoCal they can duplicate it for you.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I need to replace the ignition wires on my slick magneto. When I called Skytronics to get one they said they only did goverment work now. I initially had a custom harness made so I don't know if off the shelf wire lengths will be ok. Anybody know of a source  for harnesses? Or how to find out the lead lengths of standard harnesses?
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

I should mention that one option is a complete build it yourself harness. There are some tools to buy but I think that will be the route I go next time. With the proper tools it would be easy.
Tim

On Sep 11, 2016, at 11:37 AM, Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

neal.george(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

Continental offers individual repair wire kits in 48" and 72" lengths.

Neal GeorgeSent from my iPhone
On Sep 12, 2016, at 2:21 AM, David Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
If you send your harness to Herber Aircraft in SoCal they can duplicate it for you.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

I have a set of stock Slick harnesses on the shelf, I can measure them for you if you still need the lengths.

Lenny

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

Lenny: I have a Lightspeed electronic ignition on the right so I have only 1
Slick mag 6351) on the left. Plugs are large barrells 3/4"). When I set
this up I combined wires from a Skytronics set to get proper wire lengths
since some of the wires were too short. So I have 6 unused wires left over.
3 of them are too short to be of any use but the other 3 would work to start
a new harness. sing those wires as a start what I need at a minimum is 3
wires at least 60", 50" and 41" long. If someone has a harness that they
would be willing to sell I am very interested because every place I have
looked has 2-3 week lead times. So far haven't found any on the shelf at
local suppliers. Spruce list harnesses only by engine type/suffix so I don't
know how long the wires are.

Lenny, if you could measure your harnesses I would appreciate it. Do you
know what suffix they were made for? I have found it very easy to
move/replace wires around in the caps so that is not a problem. I wonder if
somebody just makes up wires to order. I'd just order what I need and
install them myself.
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

Before I start this emailYou builders may want to grab this
and save it as it was hard for me to find and obtain.

http://www.myrv10.com/files/engines/Slick_Mags/Slick_Mag_L-1499B.pdf
You can buy the Skytronics type individual repair leads
as a single lead from Spruce and other places. That would
probably be a good way to go. They come nice and long
so then you can just chop them to the best length for
your routing. On my RV-10 I was able to use my
standard Left side harness. I wish I had the part number
but I don't have it handy. But, that would rely on
routing the wires the same way I did. With so much
variation in the way people do things, I would think that
your best bet is just making it custom yourself.
That also helps get rid of long lead times waiting for
a specific harness. I found the same thing when I needed
my IO-390 Harness. I don't know what's going on in the
industry but people don't seem to be stocking things
very much. My plan for harness replacement time is
to just buy the tools and build my own length replacement
leads as needed.

Oh, and I did work with a guy named Justin Phillips
at Quality Aircraft Accessories who was the person
who was able to get me a custom harness made.

Try him once. His email is jphillips and it's at
the domain of qaa.com. It was cheaper than buying
all 4 of the individual repair leads that I needed if
I wanted to do all 4 wires and make them look
identical.

I guess while I'm documenting it here, there was a guy
named Joe Logie at champion who also can get custom
slick stuff. joelogie is his email and it's at
champaero dot com.

Slick also makes a repair lead, just like Kelly
(Skytronics) does.

There are 2 part numbers I have:

M7502-72 3/4 SLICK SINGLE LEAD KIT 72" RED 08-13617 $156.75

M7502-60 3/4 SLICK SINGLE LEAD KIT 08-13619 $149.75

Also, to repair leads, here are some part numbers:

SLICK M7503 3/4 20 HARDWARE KIT 08-05870 $38.50

SLICK K3300 INSL SLV&WSHR KIT 08-01374 $13.50

SLICK M1498 ELECTRODE SCREW 08-02003 $4.75

M2929 SPRING 07-03363 $3.35
Here is part number info on the Kelly lead:
Kelly repair lead

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/harness08-13222-5.php?clickkey=68292

KELLY S100-72 72" 3/4 LEAD ASSY STRAIGHT 08-13224 $84.75
And I have this note on the tools:

The Slick Assembly Tool Kit is required to install all Slick Ignition
Harness Leads on all magneto harness caps and spark plug termination ends.

The complete kit includes: Pressing Tool, #72 Drill Bit, Pin Vise,
Stripping Tool, Spring Assembly Tool, and Shield Stripper.

Complete instructions for the use of this kit can be found in the Unison
Industries L-1178 Service Manual.

Tim
On 9/12/2016 10:49 AM, Albert wrote:
[quote]

install them myself.
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

--

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

Albert,

Skytronics Right side
Part# A18-11AS-II / 4F14
T1 39.5
T3 35.5
T5 31.25
B2 48.25
B4 42.5
B6 39.75
Slick M-2956 RH

T1 38.5
T3 30.5
T5 22.75
B2 51
B4 44.75
B6 42

Slick M6027 LH

T2 42
T4 34
T6 28
B1 54.5
B3 48.75
B5 41.5

They all have about 100 hours on them. You are welcome to borrow the left side Slick until you get yours sorted out. Looks like the lengths between the Slick and Skytronics are all over the place, some leads are longer some are shorter. When I ordered the Skytronics harnesses from QAA I just gave them the harness number off the Slicks, looks like they just eyeballed the lengths.
Lenny

Albert Gardner wrote:

install them myself.
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

--

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. Since I had 3 unused but new leads long enough I bought 3 more
from Spruce plus the tool. Skygeek had it cheaper but Spruce3 matched the
price.
Albert

--

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

I made repairs to my Slick harness and have some things to share. I understand there are various mag models and this may not apply to them but mine is a 6351. The pdf document that Tim Olsen shared (Champion L-1499B Ignition Lead Assembly & Maintenance Manual) is what I referred to. I bought the T-200 Slick Ignition Harness Tool Kit from Spruce and three 72" lead assemblies (Kelley S100-72) . The maintenance manual is somewhat inadequate in that it referes to Slick Ignition wires that apparently differ from either Skytronics or Kelley. The Slick wires referred to in the maintenance manual have a coiled center conductor whereas Skytronics and Kelley have a stranded conductor. On Slick wire you have to insert the little screw (that holds the spring) into the coiled conductor but on stranded wire it is crimped on. I just happened to have a crimper that works which I got from SteirAir to crimp the pins for my intercom connectors.

Since the spark plug ends are already on the Kelley leads, cutting them to the right length, crimping the little screw on and then pressing them into the mag cap went well.  The Kelley 72" leads are somewhat expensive, for me about $85 each so to build a complete 6 or 12 wire harness would be out of the question. Better to buy one. My problem was I couldn't find out how long the leads were in any specific kit without pulling one off the shelf and measuring them plus I had 3 leads that were long enough so only needed 3. Also lead time to have a custom harness made were way too long.

I see big problems in trying to make your own harness: where to get lead wire and where to get the various parts at the mag end (drive ferrule, insulator sleeve, crimp on connector and spring). Plus you will have to make up the plug end also and get those parts.

Repairing mine using Kelleys leads worked OK for me but next time I'm going to look for someone else to make me a complete harness.
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

I'd agree with everything you said.
FIXING a harness would be affordable but these days the prices of harness components is just too high and so are the harnesses. We're all screwed if we want it done cheap. The cheapest option would be to find a harness that we can use 1/2 of. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to buy a 1/2 harness now. So you buy a complete system and only use 1/2. If you're lucky and can use a stock part number then it's not totally unaffordable.
But finding a consistent proper length stock harness is tough as slick vs Kelly/skytronics don't seem to follow the same lengths.
Having a custom harness done is not that much more expensive if you go Kelly/Skytronics, but, the process is painful and long. It took me many emails and phone calls to get the guy to get an order set up for what I wanted on the RV14. Then it took a good couple weeks or more to get the harness. I don't remember if it was 2 or 4'weeks but it was long enough to Irritate me a little. Still, it worked out...and if you need every lead to be custom
Length it's still the cheapest way to go because buying all 4 or 6 leads is more expensive than custom. What also would be maybe even more affordable and possibly quicker is to buy a new stock complete harness and then tear it all apart and transplant the cables from one harness to another to make a custom one DIY. That is my likely plan I guess next time. One benefit is that then you will have a spare harness cap as well.
Sadly they make it so expensive and tough to keep these mags in service that it gets tempting to remove both but I am
Philosophically not ready to trust 2 electronic ignitions and I definitely won't be trusting the P-Mag, if it EVER comes out, for at least 8-10 years. If there weren't issues we would have seen it years ago and I know fears were issues. And the talk about impulse coupler problems has me wondering if harmonics aren't their big problem.
Anyone know if the engine gear needs to be changed if I pull an impulse coupled mag and put on a non-impulse mag? Next time I need an Overhaul I think I'll go non impulse.
Anyway, harnesses are a pain so my advice is to care for them well, monitor them for issues, and then come up with your plan or a replacement harness BEFORE you need one because it may take a while to get what you want.
Tim

On Sep 16, 2016, at 1:16 AM, Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I made repairs to my Slick harness and have some things to share. I understand there are various mag models and this may not apply to them but mine is a 6351. The pdf document that Tim Olsen shared (Champion L-1499B Ignition Lead Assembly & Maintenance Manual) is what I referred to. I bought the T-200 Slick Ignition Harness Tool Kit from Spruce and three 72" lead assemblies (Kelley S100-72) . The maintenance manual is somewhat inadequate in that it referes to Slick Ignition wires that apparently differ from either Skytronics or Kelley. The Slick wires referred to in the maintenance manual have a coiled center conductor whereas Skytronics and Kelley have a stranded conductor. On Slick wire you have to insert the little screw (that holds the spring) into the coiled conductor but on stranded wire it is crimped on. I just happened to have a crimper that works which I got from SteirAir to crimp the pins for my intercom connectors.

Since the spark plug ends are already on the Kelley leads, cutting them to the right length, crimping the little screw on and then pressing them into the mag cap went well. The Kelley 72" leads are somewhat expensive, for me about $85 each so to build a complete 6 or 12 wire harness would be out of the question. Better to buy one. My problem was I couldn't find out how long the leads were in any specific kit without pulling one off the shelf and measuring them plus I had 3 leads that were long enough so only needed 3. Also lead time to have a custom harness made were way too long.

I see big problems in trying to make your own harness: where to get lead wire and where to get the various parts at the mag end (drive ferrule, insulator sleeve, crimp on connector and spring). Plus you will have to make up the plug end also and get those parts.

Repairing mine using Kelleys leads worked OK for me but next time I'm going to look for someone else to make me a complete harness.
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

Tim,

I note your comment, “Philosophically not ready to trust 2 electronic ignitions and I definitely won't be trusting the P-Mag, if it EVER comes out, for at least 8-10 years. If there weren't issues we would have seen it years ago and I know fears were issues. And the talk about impulse coupler problems has me wondering if harmonics aren't their big problem.”

The RV-10 is the first airplane I’ve owned with mags (the RV-8A now has 900 hours on dual pMags).  I’m now pushing 400 hours on the RV-10 and the mags are in need of overhaul.  I’m also on my second set of overpriced aircraft plugs.  After careful cylinder balancing I can fly LOP, but above 11k’ the fixed 25 degrees of advance clearly shows it’s limitations.  

I have some sympathy for eMag on their extended road to produce a TSO ignition.  While the experimental market is ready, they see the prize being all those spam cans out there with owners wanting something better than a 1930 era magneto.

Considering my personal operational experience with eMag, I will be installing dual six cylinder pMags on the RV-10 as soon as they mail them to me.

Carl 

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Olson
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 8:03 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Slick Ignition Harness

FIXING a harness would be affordable but these days the prices of harness components is just too high and so are the harnesses. We're all screwed if we want it done cheap. The cheapest option would be to find a harness that we can use 1/2 of. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to buy a 1/2 harness now. So you buy a complete system and only use 1/2. If you're lucky and can use a stock part number then it's not totally unaffordable.

But finding a consistent proper length stock harness is tough as slick vs Kelly/skytronics don't seem to follow the same lengths.

Having a custom harness done is not that much more expensive if you go Kelly/Skytronics, but, the process is painful and long. It took me many emails and phone calls to get the guy to get an order set up for what I wanted on the RV14. Then it took a good couple weeks or more to get the harness. I don't remember if it was 2 or 4'weeks but it was long enough to Irritate me a little. Still, it worked out...and if you need every lead to be custom

Length it's still the cheapest way to go because buying all 4 or 6 leads is more expensive than custom. What also would be maybe even more affordable and possibly quicker is to buy a new stock complete harness and then tear it all apart and transplant the cables from one harness to another to make a custom one DIY. That is my likely plan I guess next time. One benefit is that then you will have a spare harness cap as well.

Sadly they make it so expensive and tough to keep these mags in service that it gets tempting to remove both but I am

Philosophically not ready to trust 2 electronic ignitions and I definitely won't be trusting the P-Mag, if it EVER comes out, for at least 8-10 years. If there weren't issues we would have seen it years ago and I know fears were issues. And the talk about impulse coupler problems has me wondering if harmonics aren't their big problem.

Anyone know if the engine gear needs to be changed if I pull an impulse coupled mag and put on a non-impulse mag? Next time I need an Overhaul I think I'll go non impulse.

Anyway, harnesses are a pain so my advice is to care for them well, monitor them for issues, and then come up with your plan or a replacement harness BEFORE you need one because it may take a while to get what you want.

Tim
On Sep 16, 2016, at 1:16 AM, Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Since the spark plug ends are already on the Kelley leads, cutting them to the right length, crimping the little screw on and then pressing them into the mag cap went well. The Kelley 72" leads are somewhat expensive, for me about $85 each so to build a complete 6 or 12 wire harness would be out of the question. Better to buy one. My problem was I couldn't find out how long the leads were in any specific kit without pulling one off the shelf and measuring them plus I had 3 leads that were long enough so only needed 3. Also lead time to have a custom harness made were way too long.

Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Slick Ignition Harness Reply with quote

That's fine, to each his own. I know on the 4 cylinders they haven't
been bad, and I'd even be willing to use them on a 4 cylinder engine.
But with previous gearing issues they've had and knowing that the
6 cylinder has different issues in relation to the mag drive,
I personally am not willing to stick something on that gear case
until there are a few years and maybe 1,000 units in the field that
haven't had an issue for a good while. I'm not willing to be
THAT experimental in my ignition.

I have lightspeed and it's been good, but, it's the granddaddy of
electronic ignition systems at this point. Yes, there are newer,
but I want to see more track record on them.

For those who like that Gen3 or whatever it is, that attaches
to a mag, before you go that route, you may want to talk to
my buddy Lenny. He was sold on them from the beginning but
when he finally pulled them off, he actually destroyed them
just so they wouldn't get into anyone elses hands. He
now has a Lightspeed on his plane too.

But that all does not discount your experience on your RV-8A.
I think the pMags have pretty much proven themselves on that
platform, and I have no issues with them there. And, if you
choose to put them on your RV-10, I can applaud that as well.
SOMEONE has to be the one to take the leap, and if you're
willing, go for it. We'll all benefit from the knowledge.
It's just something that I'm not willing to stick my neck out
on either. I would also say it's too early to say "hey everyone,
jump on this bandwagon and try them out!" because without
a track record, it could just lead people into something
that could increase our insurance rate. If it goes well
though, no big deal.

Tim

On 9/16/2016 8:51 AM, Carl Froehlich wrote:
Quote:
Tim,

I note your comment, “Philosophically not ready to trust 2 electronic
ignitions and I definitely won't be trusting the P-Mag, if it EVER comes
out, for at least 8-10 years. If there weren't issues we would have
seen it years ago and I know fears were issues. And the talk about
impulse coupler problems has me wondering if harmonics aren't their big
problem.”

The RV-10 is the first airplane I’ve owned with mags (the RV-8A now has
900 hours on dual pMags). I’m now pushing 400 hours on the RV-10 and
the mags are in need of overhaul. I’m also on my second set of
overpriced aircraft plugs. After careful cylinder balancing I can fly
LOP, but above 11k’ the fixed 25 degrees of advance clearly shows it’s
limitations.

I have some sympathy for eMag on their extended road to produce a TSO
ignition. While the experimental market is ready, they see the prize
being all those spam cans out there with owners wanting something better
than a 1930 era magneto.

Considering my personal operational experience with eMag, I will be
installing dual six cylinder pMags on the RV-10 as soon as they mail
them to me.

Carl

[mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Tim Olson
*Sent:* Friday, September 16, 2016 8:03 AM
*To:* rv10-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Re: Slick Ignition Harness

FIXING a harness would be affordable but these days the prices of
harness components is just too high and so are the harnesses. We're all
screwed if we want it done cheap. The cheapest option would be to find
a harness that we can use 1/2 of. Unfortunately it's almost impossible
to buy a 1/2 harness now. So you buy a complete system and only use
1/2. If you're lucky and can use a stock part number then it's not
totally unaffordable.

But finding a consistent proper length stock harness is tough as slick
vs Kelly/skytronics don't seem to follow the same lengths.

Having a custom harness done is not that much more expensive if you go
Kelly/Skytronics, but, the process is painful and long. It took me many
emails and phone calls to get the guy to get an order set up for what I
wanted on the RV14. Then it took a good couple weeks or more to get the
harness. I don't remember if it was 2 or 4'weeks but it was long enough
to Irritate me a little. Still, it worked out...and if you need every
lead to be custom

Length it's still the cheapest way to go because buying all 4 or 6 leads
is more expensive than custom. What also would be maybe even more
affordable and possibly quicker is to buy a new stock complete harness
and then tear it all apart and transplant the cables from one harness to
another to make a custom one DIY. That is my likely plan I guess next
time. One benefit is that then you will have a spare harness cap as well.

Sadly they make it so expensive and tough to keep these mags in service
that it gets tempting to remove both but I am

Philosophically not ready to trust 2 electronic ignitions and I
definitely won't be trusting the P-Mag, if it EVER comes out, for at
least 8-10 years. If there weren't issues we would have seen it years
ago and I know fears were issues. And the talk about impulse coupler
problems has me wondering if harmonics aren't their big problem.

Anyone know if the engine gear needs to be changed if I pull an impulse
coupled mag and put on a non-impulse mag? Next time I need an Overhaul I
think I'll go non impulse.

Anyway, harnesses are a pain so my advice is to care for them well,
monitor them for issues, and then come up with your plan or a
replacement harness BEFORE you need one because it may take a while to
get what you want.

Tim
On Sep 16, 2016, at 1:16 AM, Albert <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com
<mailto:ibspud(at)roadrunner.com>> wrote:

I made repairs to my Slick harness and have some things to share. I
understand there are various mag models and this may not apply to
them but mine is a 6351. The pdf document that Tim Olsen shared
(Champion L-1499B Ignition Lead Assembly & Maintenance Manual) is
what I referred to. I bought the T-200 Slick Ignition Harness Tool
Kit from Spruce and three 72" lead assemblies (Kelley S100-72) . The
maintenance manual is somewhat inadequate in that it referes to
Slick Ignition wires that apparently differ from either Skytronics
or Kelley. The Slick wires referred to in the maintenance manual
have a coiled center conductor whereas Skytronics and Kelley have a
stranded conductor. On Slick wire you have to insert the little
screw (that holds the spring) into the coiled conductor but on
stranded wire it is crimped on. I just happened to have a crimper
that works which I got from SteirAir to crimp the pins for my
intercom connectors.

Since the spark plug ends are already on the Kelley leads, cutting
them to the right length, crimping the little screw on and then
pressing them into the mag cap went well. The Kelley 72" leads are
somewhat expensive, for me about $85 each so to build a complete 6
or 12 wire harness would be out of the question. Better to buy one.
My problem was I couldn't find out how long the leads were in any
specific kit without pulling one off the shelf and measuring them
plus I had 3 leads that were long enough so only needed 3. Also lead
time to have a custom harness made were way too long.

I see big problems in trying to make your own harness: where to get
lead wire and where to get the various parts at the mag end (drive
ferrule, insulator sleeve, crimp on connector and spring). Plus you
will have to make up the plug end also and get those parts.

Repairing mine using Kelleys leads worked OK for me but next time
I'm going to look for someone else to make me a complete harness.

Albert Gardner

RV-10 N991RV

Yuma, AZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: