Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stitching Baffle Seals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philperry9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Stitching Baffle Seals Reply with quote

I've got a couple of baffle seals that don't cooperate around my prop gov.  And since I just removed and replaced by MT gov, I'd like to go ahead and clean up the baffle seals.

Where two of my seals intersect, I'd like to bond them together.  I've tried pro-sealing them, but it didn't hold.   So I need a mechanical bond and I'm considering stitching them.

Has anyone tried stitching them and if so, what material did you use for thread?

Thanks,
Phil

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
gengrumpy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Stitching Baffle Seals Reply with quote

Just stitch them together with some lacing materiel….can get that thru Spruce if you don’t have any, and big needles from a sewing supply place.

grumpy

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, at 9:27 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a couple of baffle seals that don't cooperate around my prop gov. And since I just removed and replaced by MT gov, I'd like to go ahead and clean up the baffle seals.

Where two of my seals intersect, I'd like to bond them together. I've tried pro-sealing them, but it didn't hold. So I need a mechanical bond and I'm considering stitching them.

Has anyone tried stitching them and if so, what material did you use for thread?

Thanks,
Phil

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jmjones2000(at)mindspring

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Stitching Baffle Seals Reply with quote

Phil,

If you have the Orange baffle seals, they are made of silicone. Get the Red RTV and glue them together. It will hold if the surfaces are cleaned with isopropyl or denatured alcohol prior to application. If you'd like to hold it together mechanically, stitching with Dacron lacing tape or riveting with appropriately sized washers on either side will work. Be sure to put silicone (red RTV looks best) in between the seals before mechanically holding them together for an air tight seal.

Justin

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, at 22:27, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a couple of baffle seals that don't cooperate around my prop gov. And since I just removed and replaced by MT gov, I'd like to go ahead and clean up the baffle seals.

Where two of my seals intersect, I'd like to bond them together. I've tried pro-sealing them, but it didn't hold. So I need a mechanical bond and I'm considering stitching them.

Thanks,
Phil

Ben Meyer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Stitching Baffle Seals Reply with quote

Safety wire worked for me.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, at 7:27 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks,
Phil

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Stitching Baffle Seals Reply with quote

I'd second that on the silicone seals. After 5 years and 700+ hours they
are still almost like new including the high temp red/orange RTV. No
mechanical stiching required.

On 9/30/2016 5:39 AM, Justin Jones wrote:
Quote:

If you have the Orange baffle seals, they are made of silicone. Get the Red RTV and glue them together. It will hold if the surfaces are cleaned with isopropyl or denatured alcohol prior to application. If you'd like to hold it together mechanically, stitching with Dacron lacing tape or riveting with appropriately sized washers on either side will work. Be sure to put silicone (red RTV looks best) in between the seals before mechanically holding them together for an air tight seal.

Justin

> On Sep 29, 2016, at 22:27, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've got a couple of baffle seals that don't cooperate around my prop gov. And since I just removed and replaced by MT gov, I'd like to go ahead and clean up the baffle seals.
>
> Where two of my seals intersect, I'd like to bond them together. I've tried pro-sealing them, but it didn't hold. So I need a mechanical bond and I'm considering stitching them.
>
> Has anyone tried stitching them and if so, what material did you use for thread?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Stitching Baffle Seals Reply with quote

I used safety wire in  one or two of my corners….sealed with Red RTV.

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Phillip Perry
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:27 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Stitching Baffle Seals

Thanks,

Phil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: