Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Two things come to mind .....
1) My advice is to depart the grass strip, fly to adjacent airport for
first few landings to full stop so you are comfortable with the
landings, and have a good idea of how much runway you will use.
Remember that grass length impacts the roll-out .... long grass shorter
roll, short grass longer roll ..... and panic stopping will be non-existent.

2) If you must try your first landings on a short grass strip be
prepared to go around if you are the least bit concerned that anything
on your planned landing profile isn't perfect.

I've been in/out of grass strips a lot over the years and am still
learning to control the pucker factor.
Linn

On 10/7/2016 7:41 AM, Bill Boyd wrote:
Quote:
I appreciate the input, guys. Sorry to drift the thread away from the
original question about recommendations, caveats, and preparations.
This decision is many years away for me at the pace I /have a kitchen
pass to/ work.

As to Lyle's point, I will be making thousands of subsequent flights
from a short grass strip regardless of where the first few were done.
For each of those flights, history still will not be a predictor. I
will be a more experienced RV-10 pilot later on, true. But the engine
and systems will be more worn with each, and any eventual failures
will be more imminent as time builds.

My concerns are more about the piloting challenges (for the
inexperienced) of operating the 10 from a short grass field than about
the remote likelihood of mechanical failure. How hard would it likely
have been for y'all to nail a decent short/soft field landing as a low
time -10 pilot with all the other first-flight things going on and
only a few hours with a transition instructor under your belt? How
similar is 6A fixed pitch performance to 10 CS on landing? How well
can I expect my 900 hours here to translate from the one model to the
other when it's do or die time? Things like that...

-Stormy

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jmjones2000(at)mindspring

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

I think anyone operating in any flight during Phase 1 should read AC 90-89. It offers some great suggestions and pointers.

http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac%2090-89a.pdf

Quote:
On Oct 8, 2016, at 10:35, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

Two things come to mind .....
1) My advice is to depart the grass strip, fly to adjacent airport for first few landings to full stop so you are comfortable with the landings, and have a good idea of how much runway you will use. Remember that grass length impacts the roll-out .... long grass shorter roll, short grass longer roll ..... and panic stopping will be non-existent.

2) If you must try your first landings on a short grass strip be prepared to go around if you are the least bit concerned that anything on your planned landing profile isn't perfect.

I've been in/out of grass strips a lot over the years and am still learning to control the pucker factor.
Linn

> On 10/7/2016 7:41 AM, Bill Boyd wrote:
> I appreciate the input, guys. Sorry to drift the thread away from the original question about recommendations, caveats, and preparations. This decision is many years away for me at the pace I /have a kitchen pass to/ work.
>
> As to Lyle's point, I will be making thousands of subsequent flights from a short grass strip regardless of where the first few were done. For each of those flights, history still will not be a predictor. I will be a more experienced RV-10 pilot later on, true. But the engine and systems will be more worn with each, and any eventual failures will be more imminent as time builds.
>
> My concerns are more about the piloting challenges (for the inexperienced) of operating the 10 from a short grass field than about the remote likelihood of mechanical failure. How hard would it likely have been for y'all to nail a decent short/soft field landing as a low time -10 pilot with all the other first-flight things going on and only a few hours with a transition instructor under your belt? How similar is 6A fixed pitch performance to 10 CS on landing? How well can I expect my 900 hours here to translate from the one model to the other when it's do or die time? Things like that...
>
> -Stormy

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jack(at)bedfordlandings.c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Bill,

Even though I live on a 3075’ paved strip, there are few options if you lose the engine on takeoff.  I’m going to truck mine to Martinsville (KMTV) to do the final assembly and first few test flights.  KMTV has a 5000’ runway with wide open approaches.

When I finished my Pietenpol Air Camper, I was based on a 2,000’ grass strip.  I did my test flights from KTTF with its 6,000’ runway.  Did 4 flights from KTTF then moved it to the grass strip. 

Keep all the options open that are possible.  Taking off from a 2100’ grass strip out in the country is fine once you have all the bugs worked out, but it’s not a good choice for maximizing safety on a first flight.

Worth <

Jack Phillips
#40610 (Fuselage)
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rene
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2016 4:26 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Advice

What altitude?

What off airport options are there?

I am a chicken when it comes to short runways…….so I know I would not do it, but we all have our own comfort zone. I also don’t believe that you want to add any risk factors you don’t have to for your first flight.

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Bill Boyd
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:08 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Advice

Just curious - how many of you would make your first -10 flight off a 2100 foot grass strip?

Been flying my 6A out of the back yard for 900+ hours now, but did my first flights out of LWB with 7001 feet of asphalt and crash trucks available. Daydreaming of the day I finish the 10 and whether I would be foolish not to disassemble it and truck it 40 miles on a roll-back for the big day.

Insurance company might have their own thoughts on the matter.

-Bill Boyd

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)msn.com (jdriggs49(at)msn.com)> wrote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)msn.com (jdriggs49(at)msn.com)>

Yeah, make sure your elevator is centered before take-off. Won't say how I know THAT one! 😜

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Oct 6, 2016, at 9:45 AM, Ron Walker <n520tx(at)gmail.com (n520tx(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

--> RV10-List message posted by: Ron Walker <n520tx(at)gmail.com (n520tx(at)gmail.com)>

Posing the question for any sound advice you may have to offer prior to first flight of my 10 ?

I've been through first flight once already with my 7a. The 10 seems different though. I've already done 6 hrs training in the factory 10 with Mike.

Anything specific to be aware of ? Any recommendations from those that have been through this already ? Anything you would have done differently ?

Thanks !

--Ron

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
====================================
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: