Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fatal RV-10 accident

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Fatal RV-10 accident Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this crash?
https://www.aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=191188
-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Fatal RV-10 accident Reply with quote

Read about it the they day. From what I've collected.
It was in Phase 1, about 4 hrs in.
On departure a door opened and the pilot was seen wrestling with the door during the takeoff roll, rotation, and climb out.
I think I recall a pilot witness saying it got to around 30 AGL before it descended back into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 19, 2016, at 5:58 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Fatal RV-10 accident Reply with quote

That's what I heard secondhand too. "Fly the airplane" sounds like the primary thing that was not done.
Additionally it doesn't sound like the door was latched all the way....with the handle still pointing up. But this is all second info hand for me. I have no knowledge of it directly.
Tim

On Nov 19, 2016, at 6:22 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
On departure a door opened and the pilot was seen wrestling with the door during the takeoff roll, rotation, and climb out.
I think I recall a pilot witness saying it got to around 30 AGL before it descended back into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 19, 2016, at 5:58 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

EdKranz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Fatal RV-10 accident Reply with quote

It was Bruce Stamper, from Dubois, WY (and summers in Alaska as a salmon fisher). He was on VAF quite a bit (as "Stamper"), but I don't recall seeing him on Matronics. 

Sad deal... 
The NTSB Prelim is out: http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20161105X23019&key=1
NTSB Identification: CEN17FA035
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, November 05, 2016 in Dubois, WY
Aircraft: STAMPER RV-10, registration: N924WY
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.
On November 5, 2016, about 0756 mountain daylight time, an experimental amateur-built Stamper model RV-10 single-engine airplane, N924WY, was destroyed during a postimpact fire following a loss of control shortly after takeoff from Dubois Municipal Airport (DUB), Dubois, Wyoming. The private pilot, the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a test flight. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the presumed local flight.

A witness, who was also a pilot, reported that he saw the accident airplane takeoff from runway 28 (6,100 feet by 60 feet, asphalt). He stated that he saw the right-side gull-wing door open immediately after liftoff. After the door opened, he saw the pilot reach for the fully open door with his right hand and heard a momentary reduction of engine power. He saw the airplane descend momentarily before he heard an increase in engine power and saw the airplane level off over the runway. He reported that the pilot continued to reach for the open cabin door as the airplane overflew the remaining runway about 35 feet above ground level (agl). The witness then observed the airplane's left wing and nose drop suddenly. He surmised that the airplane had entered an aerodynamic stall/spin. The airplane descended below his line-of-sight before he observed a large explosion.

The accident airplane was an experimental amateur-built Stamper model RV-10 single-engine airplane, serial number 40146. An experimental 260-horsepower Aero Sport Power model IO-540-D4A5 reciprocating engine, serial number 1542, powered the airplane through a constant-speed, three blade, Whirl Wind Aviation model 375RV composite propeller, serial number 375-106. The airplane had a fixed tricycle landing gear, was capable of seating four individuals, and had a certified maximum gross weight of 2,700 pounds. The airplane was equipped with two composite gull-wing cabin doors. The airplane was issued a special airworthiness certificate on April 23, 2016. According to available information, the airplane likely had accumulated 10-12 hours since receiving the airworthiness certificate. The last condition inspection of the airplane was completed on April 23, 2016, in conjunction with the issuance of the airworthiness certificate. A postaccident review of available maintenance records found no history of unresolved airworthiness issues. The airplane had a total fuel capacity of 60 gallons distributed between two wing fuel tanks. A review of fueling records established that the airplane fuel tanks were topped-off before the accident flight.

According to FAA records, the pilot, age 44, held a private pilot certificate with airplane single engine land, airplane single engine sea, and instrument airplane ratings. His last aviation medical examination was completed on September 17, 2015, when he was issued a second-class medical certificate with no limitations or restrictions. A pilot logbook was not recovered during the on-scene investigation. According to recent insurance documentation, provided during October 2016, the pilot reported having a total flight experience of 1,500 hours, of which 40 hours were completed in Vans Aircraft RV-6 airplanes, 4 hours in Vans Aircraft model RV-10 airplanes, and 2 hours in the accident airplane.

At 0755, the DUB automated surface observing system reported the following weather conditions: wind 270 degrees true at 6 knots, visibility 10 miles, sky clear, temperature 0 degrees Celsius, dew point -8 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting 30.29 inches of mercury.

The initial point-of-impact was in an open field about 1,675 feet past the runway 28 departure threshold and 183 feet left of the extended runway centerline. A 67-foot-long debris path, oriented on a 210-degree magnetic heading, was observed between the initial point-of-impact and the main wreckage. A ground impact crater, containing propeller fragments, was observed about 44 feet from the initial point-of-impact. The main wreckage consisted of the fuselage, wings, and empennage. The cabin, including the cockpit instrument panel, was destroyed during the postimpact fire. Both wings exhibited damage consistent with ground impact. The empennage was relatively undamaged. A flight control continuity check was not possible due to the extent of damage; however, all observed flight control separations were consistent with fire and impact related damage.

The right-side gull-wing door was located in a ravine about 600 feet northeast of the main wreckage. The door was located about 1,500 feet past the runway 28 departure threshold and 200 feet right of the extended runway centerline. The door had separated from the fuselage hinges. There was no evidence that the door had struck any portion of the airplane after it had separated. The door was equipped with forward and aft door latch pins and a center latch mechanism. The center latch consisted of a rotating semicircular cam that worked in conjunction with the two door latch pins. The door was not equipped with the safety latch mechanism that was provided by the airframe kit manufacturer. Before the door was recovered from the ravine, the door latch handle was observed to be about 20 degrees from a vertical position or about 110 degrees from the fully latched position. The forward and aft door latch pins were found extended about 1/8 inch outside the door. The curved portion of the semicircular center latch was found facing aft. A functional test of the door latch mechanism did not reveal any anomalies. The door latch handle rotated 180-degrees between the open and latched positions. When the handle was in the latched position, the forward and aft door latch pins extended 1-1/4 inches outside the door and the curved portion of the semicircular center latch faced down. The latch pins were equipped with embedded magnets that interfaced with position switches installed in the fuselage door frames. These position switches, which were destroyed during the postimpact fire, were part of a door latch annunciator circuit. A functional test of the door latch annunciator system was not possible due to fire damage sustained after the accident to the fuselage and instrument panel.

The engine remained partially attached to the firewall by its mounts. Internal engine and valve train continuity was confirmed as the engine crankshaft was rotated. Compression and suction were noted on cylinder Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 5 in conjunction with crankshaft rotation. No compression was noted on cylinder Nos. 4 and 6 due to thermal damage to the valve springs. The engine was equipped with a traditional magneto and an electronic ignition system. The traditional magneto exhibited extensive thermal damage and could not be tested. The electronic ignition was not recovered and likely was destroyed during the postimpact fire. The upper spark plugs were removed and exhibited features consistent with normal engine operation. A borescope inspection revealed no anomalies with the cylinders, valves, or pistons. The propeller hub remained attached to the engine crankshaft flange. Two of the three composite blades were destroyed during the impact sequence. The remaining composite blade exhibited thermal damage from the postimpact fire.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

That's what I heard secondhand too.  "Fly the airplane" sounds like the primary thing that was not done.
Additionally it doesn't sound like the door was latched all the way....with the handle still pointing up.  But this is all second info hand for me. I have no knowledge of it directly.
Tim

On Nov 19, 2016, at 6:22 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Read about it the they day.  From what I've collected. 
On departure a door opened and the pilot was seen wrestling with the door  during the takeoff roll, rotation, and climb out.  

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

www.edandcolleen.com
Paul Grimstad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Fatal RV-10 accident Reply with quote

Bruce 
Was one heck of a nice fella. He was a special friend of mine and I'm sure many others in the RV10 community. 
He was a great fisherman, dad, builder, and pilot. He fished Sockeye season in his awesome twin engine bow-picker and then flew a Cub as a spotter for eight fishing boats the rest of the season.
He also spent time practicing real bush landings while scouting for and collecting Elk and Moose antlers. Last year he even flipped the Cub over and messed it up a bit.
Picture of Bruce on the left and a picture of me raising a toast of my favorite beer Alaskan Amber, on this beautiful evening in Bend Or.
Paul Grimstad 
-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/19/2016 6:53 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV10-List: Fatal RV-10 accident

It was Bruce Stamper, from Dubois, WY (and summers in Alaska as a salmon fisher). He was on VAF quite a bit (as "Stamper"), but I don't recall seeing him on Matronics. 

Sad deal... 
The NTSB Prelim is out: http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20161105X23019&key=1
NTSB Identification: CEN17FA035
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, November 05, 2016 in Dubois, WY
Aircraft: STAMPER RV-10, registration: N924WY
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.
On November 5, 2016, about 0756 mountain daylight time, an experimental amateur-built Stamper model RV-10 single-engine airplane, N924WY, was destroyed during a postimpact fire following a loss of control shortly after takeoff from Dubois Municipal Airport (DUB), Dubois, Wyoming. The private pilot, the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a test flight. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the presumed local flight.

A witness, who was also a pilot, reported that he saw the accident airplane takeoff from runway 28 (6,100 feet by 60 feet, asphalt). He stated that he saw the right-side gull-wing door open immediately after liftoff. After the door opened, he saw the pilot reach for the fully open door with his right hand and heard a momentary reduction of engine power. He saw the airplane descend momentarily before he heard an increase in engine power and saw the airplane level off over the runway. He reported that the pilot continued to reach for the open cabin door as the airplane overflew the remaining runway about 35 feet above ground level (agl). The witness then observed the airplane's left wing and nose drop suddenly. He surmised that the airplane had entered an aerodynamic stall/spin. The airplane descended below his line-of-sight before he observed a large explosion.

The accident airplane was an experimental amateur-built Stamper model RV-10 single-engine airplane, serial number 40146. An experimental 260-horsepower Aero Sport Power model IO-540-D4A5 reciprocating engine, serial number 1542, powered the airplane through a constant-speed, three blade, Whirl Wind Aviation model 375RV composite propeller, serial number 375-106. The airplane had a fixed tricycle landing gear, was capable of seating four individuals, and had a certified maximum gross weight of 2,700 pounds. The airplane was equipped with two composite gull-wing cabin doors. The airplane was issued a special airworthiness certificate on April 23, 2016. According to available information, the airplane likely had accumulated 10-12 hours since receiving the airworthiness certificate. The last condition inspection of the airplane was completed on April 23, 2016, in conjunction with the issuance of the airworthiness certificate. A postaccident review of available maintenance records found no history of unresolved airworthiness issues. The airplane had a total fuel capacity of 60 gallons distributed between two wing fuel tanks. A review of fueling records established that the airplane fuel tanks were topped-off before the accident flight.

According to FAA records, the pilot, age 44, held a private pilot certificate with airplane single engine land, airplane single engine sea, and instrument airplane ratings. His last aviation medical examination was completed on September 17, 2015, when he was issued a second-class medical certificate with no limitations or restrictions. A pilot logbook was not recovered during the on-scene investigation. According to recent insurance documentation, provided during October 2016, the pilot reported having a total flight experience of 1,500 hours, of which 40 hours were completed in Vans Aircraft RV-6 airplanes, 4 hours in Vans Aircraft model RV-10 airplanes, and 2 hours in the accident airplane.

At 0755, the DUB automated surface observing system reported the following weather conditions: wind 270 degrees true at 6 knots, visibility 10 miles, sky clear, temperature 0 degrees Celsius, dew point -8 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting 30.29 inches of mercury.

The initial point-of-impact was in an open field about 1,675 feet past the runway 28 departure threshold and 183 feet left of the extended runway centerline. A 67-foot-long debris path, oriented on a 210-degree magnetic heading, was observed between the initial point-of-impact and the main wreckage. A ground impact crater, containing propeller fragments, was observed about 44 feet from the initial point-of-impact. The main wreckage consisted of the fuselage, wings, and empennage. The cabin, including the cockpit instrument panel, was destroyed during the postimpact fire. Both wings exhibited damage consistent with ground impact. The empennage was relatively undamaged. A flight control continuity check was not possible due to the extent of damage; however, all observed flight control separations were consistent with fire and impact related damage.

The right-side gull-wing door was located in a ravine about 600 feet northeast of the main wreckage. The door was located about 1,500 feet past the runway 28 departure threshold and 200 feet right of the extended runway centerline. The door had separated from the fuselage hinges. There was no evidence that the door had struck any portion of the airplane after it had separated. The door was equipped with forward and aft door latch pins and a center latch mechanism. The center latch consisted of a rotating semicircular cam that worked in conjunction with the two door latch pins. The door was not equipped with the safety latch mechanism that was provided by the airframe kit manufacturer. Before the door was recovered from the ravine, the door latch handle was observed to be about 20 degrees from a vertical position or about 110 degrees from the fully latched position. The forward and aft door latch pins were found extended about 1/8 inch outside the door. The curved portion of the semicircular center latch was found facing aft. A functional test of the door latch mechanism did not reveal any anomalies. The door latch handle rotated 180-degrees between the open and latched positions. When the handle was in the latched position, the forward and aft door latch pins extended 1-1/4 inches outside the door and the curved portion of the semicircular center latch faced down. The latch pins were equipped with embedded magnets that interfaced with position switches installed in the fuselage door frames. These position switches, which were destroyed during the postimpact fire, were part of a door latch annunciator circuit. A functional test of the door latch annunciator system was not possible due to fire damage sustained after the accident to the fuselage and instrument panel.

The engine remained partially attached to the firewall by its mounts. Internal engine and valve train continuity was confirmed as the engine crankshaft was rotated. Compression and suction were noted on cylinder Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 5 in conjunction with crankshaft rotation. No compression was noted on cylinder Nos. 4 and 6 due to thermal damage to the valve springs. The engine was equipped with a traditional magneto and an electronic ignition system. The traditional magneto exhibited extensive thermal damage and could not be tested. The electronic ignition was not recovered and likely was destroyed during the postimpact fire. The upper spark plugs were removed and exhibited features consistent with normal engine operation. A borescope inspection revealed no anomalies with the cylinders, valves, or pistons. The propeller hub remained attached to the engine crankshaft flange. Two of the three composite blades were destroyed during the impact sequence. The remaining composite blade exhibited thermal damage from the postimpact fire.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

That's what I heard secondhand too.  "Fly the airplane" sounds like the primary thing that was not done.
Additionally it doesn't sound like the door was latched all the way....with the handle still pointing up.  But this is all second info hand for me. I have no knowledge of it directly.
Tim

Quote:
Read about it the they day.  From what I've collected. 
On departure a door opened and the pilot was seen wrestling with the door  during the takeoff roll, rotation, and climb out.  

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

20161119_185204.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  658.58 KB
 Viewed:  5439 Time(s)

20161119_185204.jpg

20140520_155332.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  408.15 KB
 Viewed:  5439 Time(s)

20140520_155332.jpg

maca2790

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Fatal RV-10 accident Reply with quote

I would think that 30ft AGL wouldn’t result in a loss of the Aircraft if it was a controlled or semi controlled descent.
Anyway it is very sad and sobering to read about a fellow builder passing. Let us learn from the incident and say Vale’  Bruce Stamper.

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Olson
Sent: Sunday, 20 November 2016 11:32 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Fatal RV-10 accident

That's what I heard secondhand too. "Fly the airplane" sounds like the primary thing that was not done.

Additionally it doesn't sound like the door was latched all the way....with the handle still pointing up. But this is all second info hand for me. I have no knowledge of it directly.

Tim
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone
Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: