Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FYI December 2014 issue IFR flying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: FYI December 2014 issue IFR flying Reply with quote

Because it is winter, there is a good article on Ice and tail stalls in the referenced issue. I don’t fly ice anymore but should you encounter it flying the 10, the article provides some does and don’ts. Having flown a Cessna Cardinal for about 30 years and built a Glastar in addition to a 10, I have learned a little about tail stalls. I first heard of the problem and considered it back when the C177 did not have the slots in the tail. Pilots were trying to land the Cardinal and in the flare with flaps deployed, they stalled the horizontal stabilator. The result was a rapid pitch downward and a damaged nose gear. This problem can also be demonstrated in the Glastar. It can be built improperly with the wrong horizontal stabilizer angle of incidence and a tail stall can be experienced in the flare even without flaps deployed. Mine was built properly but the pilot who made first flight in my Glastar made the approach at 10-20 knots faster than normally required and no flaps to protect himself from such a potential problem. The referenced article also notes that tail stalls can also be experienced with flaps deployed and ice on the tail. The problem exists both for high and low wing aircraft. My plans are to stay out of ice but should I encounter and experience a tail stall I plan to be prepared.

David McNeill
COM, CFII, A&P
N46007
N48007
And a few numbers reserved

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Lew Gallagher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: FYI December 2014 issue IFR flying Reply with quote

http://www.ifr-magazine.com/issues/1_39/features/Ice-and-Tail-Stalls_478-1.html

Later, – Lew

Sent: Monday, January 02, 2017 9:17 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: FYI December 2014 issue IFR flying

Because it is winter, there is a good article on Ice and tail stalls in the referenced issue. I don’t fly ice anymore but should you encounter it flying the 10, the article provides some does and don’ts. Having flown a Cessna Cardinal for about 30 years and built a Glastar in addition to a 10, I have learned a little about tail stalls. I first heard of the problem and considered it back when the C177 did not have the slots in the tail. Pilots were trying to land the Cardinal and in the flare with flaps deployed, they stalled the horizontal stabilator. The result was a rapid pitch downward and a damaged nose gear. This problem can also be demonstrated in the Glastar. It can be built improperly with the wrong horizontal stabilizer angle of incidence and a tail stall can be experienced in the flare even without flaps deployed. Mine was built properly but the pilot who made first flight in my Glastar made the approach at 10-20 knots faster than normally required and no flaps to protect himself from such a potential problem. The referenced article also notes that tail stalls can also be experienced with flaps deployed and ice on the tail. The problem exists both for high and low wing aircraft. My plans are to stay out of ice but should I encounter and experience a tail stall I plan to be prepared.

David McNeill
COM, CFII, A&P
N46007
N48007
And a few numbers reserved

www.avast.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

NOW OFICIALLY BUILDER #40549
Fly off completed !
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: FYI December 2014 issue IFR flying Reply with quote

Thanks!  Good article there.

FWIW, I've learned to first look for ice on my 10's stabilizer.  It's easiest to see there but I think that's because it is red rather than white like the wing.  Conversely, I've found it very difficult to see ice on the wing.  I once had a very slow degradation in airspeed due to ice was never able to see the ice on the wing.

I've considered painting some kind of dark patch on the wing near the left root so I might be able to detect ice ASAP and get the hell out of there.  Has anyone done that?  Any ice detection pireps for the '10?

www.avast.com

Quote:

www.avast.com

EdKranz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: FYI December 2014 issue IFR flying Reply with quote

Ice detection is one of the big reasons that the leading edges of my wings and stab are black (that and the design looked good!) I've picked up trace in hazy VMC, and the black paint made the ice stand out pretty clearly.

....plus bugs don't show up as much Smile
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks!  Good article there.

FWIW, I've learned to first look for ice on my 10's stabilizer.  It's easiest to see there but I think that's because it is red rather than white like the wing.  Conversely, I've found it very difficult to see ice on the wing.  I once had a very slow degradation in airspeed due to ice was never able to see the ice on the wing.

I've considered painting some kind of dark patch on the wing near the left root so I might be able to detect ice ASAP and get the hell out of there.  Has anyone done that?  Any ice detection pireps for the '10?

www.avast.com

Quote:

www.avast.com

www.edandcolleen.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: