Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

transition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Bob,

Hey Bob, I just wanted to give you a big thanks on something.
Both your encouragement, and the encouragement of the CFI at my local
Airport who did my BFR were instrumental in swaying me. I had always wanted to
Do my commercial and CFI, but saw no purpose because we can't operate our
RV's commercially. But the teaching my Daughter changed that significantly.
The fact that it would be fun to be a CFI among other many good things,
Made it a worthwhile goal.

So, I set out in November to start and finish my commercial which I did
On 11/21/16.

I then dove right in to the CFI and by 11/26 and 12/6 I passed the
FOI, FIA, and AGI for my Instructor course.

I then headed to the FSDO and got my AGI which I immediately used to endorse my daughters written prep. (She had studied for her private while I did my commercial). She headed over
To the testing facility (at 15 years old) and got a 92% on her private. Makes a father proud that's for sure! So dad got to sign her off.

I took a break for Christmas, but last week I came down here to Florida for weather more conducive to finishing the CFI.

Yesterday, I failed my CFI oral. I'll admit it. Failed. Why? Because I was asked to not just describe how a constant speed propeller works, but to diagram and draw the whole propeller and governor system I detail enough to illustrate the functional parts of the governor and propeller and how it all works and moves, and talk about the differences between a single and a twin. It was a bit crushing...but I took my lumps and learned it and within an hour I had it drawn twice. Not to mention I woke up at 3:30 on 3.5 hours sleep with regs and crap on my mind, it was a stressful day. Got signed off for the re-training and re-applied for the CFI.

Today I woke up at 4, and decided I had probably re-learn my E6B just in case. (Digitals are way cooler, but the E6B is like artwork.)

Then I headed to the airport for my re-take.

I'm sitting here now, ready for an evening of whiskey shots...holding a paper CFI certificate in my folder.

It was one of the harder things I've done, but today it feels worth while! Thanks again because you should know that the email you sent....the one that I'm replying to, played a role in this.

Today I am a CFI. My next fight will NOT be without my daughter in the left seat. And *I* will be the poor CFI who gives up his Memorial Day weekend to solo his student on her 16th birthday....in an airplane that she helped build...N14YT. Damn...teared up writing that.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:47 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

Tim,
Ever consider getting your com/cfi? You'd have to rent an RG for some of it, but, given your daughter needs 20 hrs dual, the net cost might not be that great.
Bob

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=461500#461500

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
adam.bezanson(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Congrats, Tim!

Sounds like a lot of stuff to accomplish in such a short time. 
Well done! 
I bet the feeling you'll have when you're able to sign her off for her solo and checkride will be even more fulfilling. 
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com>

Bob,

Airport who did my BFR were instrumental in swaying me.   I had always wanted to
RV's commercially.  But the teaching my Daughter changed that significantly.

On 11/21/16.

I then headed to the FSDO and got my AGI which I immediately used to endorse my daughters written prep. (She had studied for her private while I did my commercial).  She headed over
To the testing facility (at 15 years old) and got a 92% on her private.  Makes a father proud that's for sure!  So dad got to sign her off.

I took a break for Christmas, but last week I came down here to Florida for weather more conducive to finishing the CFI.

Yesterday, I failed my CFI oral.  I'll admit it.  Failed.  Why?  Because I was asked to not just describe how a constant speed propeller works, but to diagram and draw the whole propeller and governor system I detail enough to illustrate the functional parts of the governor and propeller and how it all works and moves, and talk about the differences between a single and a twin.  It was a bit crushing...but I took my lumps and learned it and within an hour I had it drawn twice.   Not to mention I woke up at 3:30 on 3.5 hours sleep with regs and crap on my mind, it was a stressful day.  Got signed off for the re-training and re-applied for the CFI.

Today I woke up at 4, and decided I had probably re-learn my E6B just in case. (Digitals are way cooler, but the E6B is like artwork.)

I'm sitting here now, ready for an evening of whiskey shots...holding a paper CFI certificate in my folder.

It was one of the harder things I've done, but today it feels worth while!  Thanks again because you should know that the email you sent....the one that I'm replying to, played a role in this.

Today I am a CFI.  My next fight will NOT be without my daughter in the left seat.  And *I* will be the poor CFI who gives up his Memorial Day weekend to solo his student on her 16th birthday....in an airplane that she helped build...N14YT.  Damn...teared up writing that.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:47 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>
>
> Tim,
> Ever consider getting your com/cfi? You'd have to rent an RG for some of it, but, given your daughter needs 20 hrs dual, the net cost might not be that great.
> Bob
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=461500#461500
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bcondrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Congratulations Tim!!!
Bob

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:23 PM Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Bob,

Airport who did my BFR were instrumental in swaying me.   I had always wanted to

On 11/21/16.

I then headed to the FSDO and got my AGI which I immediately used to endorse my daughters written prep. (She had studied for her private while I did my commercial).  She headed over
To the testing facility (at 15 years old) and got a 92% on her private.  Makes a father proud that's for sure!  So dad got to sign her off.

Yesterday, I failed my CFI oral.  I'll admit it.  Failed.  Why?  Because I was asked to not just describe how a constant speed propeller works, but to diagram and draw the whole propeller and governor system I detail enough to illustrate the functional parts of the governor and propeller and how it all works and moves, and talk about the differences between a single and a twin.  It was a bit crushing...but I took my lumps and learned it and within an hour I had it drawn twice.   Not to mention I woke up at 3:30 on 3.5 hours sleep with regs and crap on my mind, it was a stressful day.  Got signed off for the re-training and re-applied for the CFI.

It was one of the harder things I've done, but today it feels worth while!  Thanks again because you should know that the email you sent....the one that I'm replying to, played a role in this.

Today I am a CFI.  My next fight will NOT be without my daughter in the left seat.  And *I* will be the poor CFI who gives up his Memorial Day weekend to solo his student on her 16th birthday....in an airplane that she helped build...N14YT.  Damn...teared up writing that.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:47 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:

--> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>

Tim,
Ever consider getting your com/cfi? You'd have to rent an RG for some of it, but, given your daughter needs 20 hrs dual, the net cost might not be that great.
Bob

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

======================http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listhttp://forums.matronics.com

_======================http://www.matronics.com/contribution

flyboy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Quote:

Congratulations!  That's excellent.  
The CFI can be brutal.  First time pass rate nationwide is very, very low.  I flunked my CFI ride in about 3 minutes the first time.  We started in the pattern, and the first landing requested: "Demonstrate a power-off 180 approach landing."  Sure, no problem.  I demonstrated it, aiming for the 1,000 foot markers.  I was 50 feet short.  PTS is +200/-0.  And that was that.  "You've failed to complete a task within the required standards, would you like to continue?"   Nope.  I pulled the power, taxiied in and collected my pink slip.
As you go through this, I'd love to see you blog tips for teaching family/friends.  I've taught a lot of folks to fly, but I know that teaching family can be tough.

dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Congrats Tim! You won't regret getting that CFI! CFII next?

David Maib
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, at 2:20 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

Bob,

On 11/21/16.

I then headed to the FSDO and got my AGI which I immediately used to endorse my daughters written prep. (She had studied for her private while I did my commercial). She headed over
To the testing facility (at 15 years old) and got a 92% on her private. Makes a father proud that's for sure! So dad got to sign her off.

Yesterday, I failed my CFI oral. I'll admit it. Failed. Why? Because I was asked to not just describe how a constant speed propeller works, but to diagram and draw the whole propeller and governor system I detail enough to illustrate the functional parts of the governor and propeller and how it all works and moves, and talk about the differences between a single and a twin. It was a bit crushing...but I took my lumps and learned it and within an hour I had it drawn twice. Not to mention I woke up at 3:30 on 3.5 hours sleep with regs and crap on my mind, it was a stressful day. Got signed off for the re-training and re-applied for the CFI.

It was one of the harder things I've done, but today it feels worth while! Thanks again because you should know that the email you sent....the one that I'm replying to, played a role in this.

Today I am a CFI. My next fight will NOT be without my daughter in the left seat. And *I* will be the poor CFI who gives up his Memorial Day weekend to solo his student on her 16th birthday....in an airplane that she helped build...N14YT. Damn...teared up writing that.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:47 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
>
>
>
> Tim,
> Ever consider getting your com/cfi? You'd have to rent an RG for some of it, but, given your daughter needs 20 hrs dual, the net cost might not be that great.
> Bob
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL
EdKranz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Congrats Tim!!!

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM, David Maib <dmaib(at)me.com (dmaib(at)me.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: David Maib <dmaib(at)me.com (dmaib(at)me.com)>

Congrats Tim! You won't regret getting that CFI! CFII next?

David Maib

> On Jan 11, 2017, at 2:20 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com>
>
> Bob,
>
> Hey Bob, I just wanted to give you a big thanks on something.
> Both your encouragement, and the encouragement of the CFI at my local
> Airport who did my BFR were instrumental in swaying me.   I had always wanted to
> Do my commercial and CFI, but saw no purpose because we can't operate our
> RV's commercially.  But the teaching my Daughter changed that significantly.
> The fact that it would be fun to be a CFI among other many good things,
> Made it a worthwhile goal.
>
> So, I set out in November to start and finish my commercial which I did
> On 11/21/16.
>
> I then dove right in to the CFI and by 11/26 and 12/6 I passed the
> FOI, FIA, and AGI for my Instructor course.
>
> I then headed to the FSDO and got my AGI which I immediately used to endorse my daughters written prep. (She had studied for her private while I did my commercial).  She headed over
> To the testing facility (at 15 years old) and got a 92% on her private.  Makes a father proud that's for sure!  So dad got to sign her off.
>
> I took a break for Christmas, but last week I came down here to Florida for weather more conducive to finishing the CFI.
>
> Yesterday, I failed my CFI oral.  I'll admit it.  Failed.  Why?  Because I was asked to not just describe how a constant speed propeller works, but to diagram and draw the whole propeller and governor system I detail enough to illustrate the functional parts of the governor and propeller and how it all works and moves, and talk about the differences between a single and a twin.  It was a bit crushing...but I took my lumps and learned it and within an hour I had it drawn twice.   Not to mention I woke up at 3:30 on 3.5 hours sleep with regs and crap on my mind, it was a stressful day.  Got signed off for the re-training and re-applied for the CFI.
>
> Today I woke up at 4, and decided I had probably re-learn my E6B just in case. (Digitals are way cooler, but the E6B is like artwork.)
>
> Then I headed to the airport for my re-take.
>
> I'm sitting here now, ready for an evening of whiskey shots...holding a paper CFI certificate in my folder.
>
> It was one of the harder things I've done, but today it feels worth while!  Thanks again because you should know that the email you sent...the one that I'm replying to, played a role in this.
>
> Today I am a CFI.  My next fight will NOT be without my daughter in the left seat.  And *I* will be the poor CFI who gives up his Memorial Day weekend to solo his student on her 16th birthday....in an airplane that she helped build...N14YT.  Damn...teared up writing that.
>
> Tim Olson
> CFI ASEL
>
>
>
>
>
>
>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:47 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>
>>
>> Tim,
>> Ever consider getting your com/cfi? You'd have to rent an RG for some of it, but, given your daughter needs 20 hrs dual, the net cost might not be that great.
>> Bob
>>
>> --------
>> Bob Turner
>> RV-10 QB
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=461500#461500
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
WIKI -
b Site -

www.edandcolleen.com
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

That's awesome, Tim! That just got me rethinking of doing that. I had put the idea away, but now I might just go ahead with it. I've got a bunch of people to solo as they come of age. Smile

First training flight up to X35 sounds like a good idea to me if you are still in FL.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, at 1:20 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

Bob,

On 11/21/16.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL

>
>
>
> Tim,
> Bob
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Don't feel like you have to reply
to the thread just to say thanks. I know, it's a given. I hate to
clutter your inboxes with my drivel. Smile
This one was too juicy to not reply to though.....the failure rate.
After failing, I started googling, I guess the fail rate down here
is something like 40-80%, and I've read that some FSDO areas are even
higher. My examiner actually failed his way back when, too.
So it's pretty common, but pretty heartbreaking too. I actually was
OK with it because my daughter was very frustrated with her 92%
written, and seeing me fail something is good...it shows her that
you don't always have to hit the top mark. I have a bit of a problem
with that in my family, as the grades are consistent A's...and always
have been, with them. And I think it's time that they begin to
accept that they will not always perform to that level. I certainly
don't expect that of myself. So for that, I'm glad it happened the
way it did.

I really can't believe how much some of these professional CFI's have
to know and keep track of. I thought it was impossible to be as
good on the stick AND the books, and know that much, but one of
my 2 CFI's that signed me off proved me wrong. He could fly
5X more accurately and consistently than me. He could also
repeat back systems and regs 10x better. So apparently if you
do it for 5000 hours (he's way over that), you can get pretty
smart. I'm not there yet. Wink

I don't have any idea what path I'll take. I'm sure some day I'm
going to do CFI-I. I actually think I'd like to finish that
within about 1.5 years so that I can get my daughter going
on Instrument training.

There's a small chance maybe that I'll get into
transition training on the RV-10/14 just for fun. I don't
know the costs for that sort of thing, nor the effort it would take.
Whatever it is, I can't do it if it costs ME money...I'm way past
broke right now.

I may not use the CFI a ton, but I would eventually forsee doing it
as a retirement gig. Also, one of our local instructors is a
snowbird who travels south every winter...so since I really don't
care to teach when the kids are out for the summer, maybe I can
work opposite him and do things in the winter. I'm sure I'll
take on people here and there, and once the kids are out of the
house (one is out this coming fall...sheesh, where did the time go?)
I will take the time to teach quite a bit.

David, if you get time, shoot me an email offline on how tough it is
to get your LODA to do that transition training. I'm pretty tired
today so it's not yet on my priority list, but I definitely
would like to be beneficial to the RV community.

And for those who like write-ups, yes, I'm sure I'll be filling my
website (probably MyRV14.com, but not sure) with stuff about
teaching my girl. Right now that's about the biggest thing
this old guy has on his mind. Smile

Thanks everyone. Again though, don't feel like you have to
congratulate me. I'm not fishing for it. I just really wanted
to thank Bob. Smile I'm also thrilled to hear from other people
who did the CFI like Berck...either offline or however you want.
I like reading the stories you all have as well.

OH, and before I forget to tell you this:

For the commercial... you have to have 10 hours DUAL in a retract.
I had plenty of retract time, but only 9.3 dual. So I did my first
commercial lesson in an Arrow III for 1.8 hours. It was disgusting.
After flying RV's for over 1300 hours, it really just plain sucked.
Horribly organized panel, and handles like a moving truck. If you
go for the commercial, and don't have dual retract time, you're going
to have to suck it up. But, once I saw how much nicer it was to
fly the RV-10, I did the rest of my practice (only took like 4 more
hours or so) in the RV-10, and then went for my checkride...using
the RV-10. I couldn't believe my 80-something year old examiner
was even willing to. But that was nice. Then, you do have to
fly a retract for them, so I rented their 172RG and went out for
a couple maneuvers and procedures and a landing and that was that.

For the CFI, you can't split it up like that. You have to do the
whole ride in a retract. That was the worst thing about the
flying portion of this. Worse than learning to fly Right seat.
Heck, I'm pretty good at right seat now. Smile But flying the
Arrow II down here was again, not nearly as nice as an RV-10.
Yes, you can get it to be halfway comfortable, but it was probably
a big hinderance for me to have been used to GOOD airplanes.
So, if you think that some day you may want to do your CFI, or
your commercial for that matter, maybe do this to do yourself a
favor. When it's time for your next BFR, do it in a retract.
Get a complex endorsement and log some hours. They won't hurt
you when you want a rating. I may even take my daughter
out and rent the arrow II, just to show her how miserable it is,
but get her complex signed off. It's another open door
once you do.

For that matter, the Dual in the piper Navajo that I did in
Hawaii....sightseeing with Multi-instruction on it, also
added to my time required for dual-complex, for commercial.
So every airplane you fly can help.
Tim

On 1/11/2017 1:00 PM, Berck E. Nash wrote:
Quote:
Today I am a CFI. My next fight will NOT be without my daughter in
the left seat. And *I* will be the poor CFI who gives up his
Memorial Day weekend to solo his student on her 16th birthday....in
an airplane that she helped build...N14YT. Damn...teared up writing
that.
Congratulations! That's excellent.

The CFI can be brutal. First time pass rate nationwide is very, very
low. I flunked my CFI ride in about 3 minutes the first time. We
started in the pattern, and the first landing requested: "Demonstrate a
power-off 180 approach landing." Sure, no problem. I demonstrated it,
aiming for the 1,000 foot markers. I was 50 feet short. PTS is
+200/-0. And that was that. "You've failed to complete a task within
the required standards, would you like to continue?" Nope. I pulled
the power, taxiied in and collected my pink slip.

As you go through this, I'd love to see you blog tips for teaching
family/friends. I've taught a lot of folks to fly, but I know that
teaching family can be tough.

rv10pro(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Congrats Tim!
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Bob,

On 11/21/16.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:47 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>
>
> Tim,
> Bob
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

FORUMS -
WIKI -
b Site -

cooprv7(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Congrats Tim, well done!

Marcus
do not archive

Bob,

On 11/21/16.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:47 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

Tim,
Bob

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

gspecketer(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Congrats

Gary

Quote:

Bob,

On 11/21/16.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL

>
>
>
> Tim,
> Bob
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: transition Reply with quote

Congratulations Tim! And, thanks for the thanks.
Don't feel bad about needing two tries - it's very common. I also took two tries, although I didn't fail anything. After I passed my 5 hour oral, another inspector came in with the (rented, RG) aircraft logbooks. He couldn't find a sign off for a particular AD, so he gave me a 'discontinuance', and a ferry permit, and told me to reschedule the flight test.

The good news is that you can do the cfii in your RV. And it re-sets the two year clock, so a year or year and a half is about right.

I'm pretty sure I have all my paperwork for the transition training LODA in a folder on the home computer. Let me know if you'd like it and I'll email it. The only issue with transition training is insurance. Your regular policy won't cover it, and the cost of one that will is hard to justify. I currently have $1,000,000 CSL plus hull for under $2K, but they don't want the bother of adding other named insureds, so I am currently not doing transition training.

Finally, as I'm sure you know, the trick you need to figure out for each plane you instruct in, is how far wrong you can let a student get before you absolutely have to intervene! It's actually pretty impressive what horrible configurations you can recover a 152 from!

Good Luck,

Bob

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: transition Reply with quote

One more thing: Have you thought about your medical? If you want to use your commercial you'll need a second class. I have previously gotten a second class but only every 2 years, so I had a 50-50 chance of having a valid second class if a commercial opportunity came along. In 30 years it happened just once - I was hired to ferry a 182 from CA to Wisconsin. Now, with medical reform and just needing a physical every 4 years, I probably will let the class two be a thing of the past.

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Congrat Tim!

Another great writeup for inspiring others!

Cheers Werner
On 11.01.2017 19:20, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:

Bob,

On 11/21/16.

Tim Olson
CFI ASEL
>
>
>
> Tim,
> Bob
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
>

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Yeah, I just got a new class 2, but I don't know what I'll do in the future. I probably will just continue with class 2's every 2 years and letting them fall to class 3's as I have been. While the new medical thing is a benefit for some, it's still unclear what that means for insurance companies. And I personally have not seen the medical process as a major issue. The price I have paid is reasonable and it has forced me to get a physical every 2 years which is not a bad idea anyway. Personally I think that while the new process may help a few people, it does nothing worthwhile for me. My AME is friendly, 2 miles from the airport, and always gives me good health advice that I very poorly follow.
And for some under 40 people, just the fact that the medical can be good for 5 years will save them money to go on the regular class 3 plan. The new system doesn't really exempt them from being evaluated to the same standard, and failing to be signed off, as far as I can tell. I may help some people logistically though. Really, the only thing that would have made a huge difference is doing it like a sport pilot is required to today.
The other thing is, from everything I've heard, the second class and 3rd are basically evaluated to the same standard, so why NOT go the second class route? I see no down side so I've done it for years just in case I got my commercial.
Maybe as I age I'll find reason to change, but creeping up on 50 I'm ok with either process today.
My big head scratcher is why the old slippery finger test is required for a flight physical... Who cares if I have prostate cancer if I am otherwise healthy. Wink. But I bend over and take it because it has run in my family in a grandfather so I even now get PSA tests occasionally....it may be good to know.
Anyway, it's a chuckle because the AME always calls it "the complimentary prostate exam". He's always good for a laugh and a few flying stories. His personal view on the new medical reform is that it will actually require MORE cost, paperwork, time, and effort on many applicants because today all I have to do is fill in one form by re-entering the same stuff that was on my last one (which he gives me a pdf of) and adding anything new. Then i just go see him. No webinar to watch and when was under 40 it was only every 5 months. So the only thing the new process does is double my visit interval to 4 years (it was 4 years, right) but requires other effort every 2. And at 48 I should probably see a doctor more regularly than 4 years. Not that the new process is that bad...I just don't see it as a huge leap forward. Time will tell how the physicians and insurance industry take it. One thing for sure....if it reduces the financial situation and people no longer choose to be an AME because the effort isn't worth the reduced number of patients, that could lead to an AME shortage that will jack up prices for commercial pilots and make AME's harder to get to. We don't need that happening either.

Tim

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, at 12:08 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

One more thing: Have you thought about your medical? If you want to use your commercial you'll need a second class. I have previously gotten a second class but only every 2 years, so I had a 50-50 chance of having a valid second class if a commercial opportunity came along. In 30 years it happened just once - I was hired to ferry a 182 from CA to Wisconsin. Now, with medical reform and just needing a physical every 4 years, I probably will let the class two be a thing of the past.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=465000#465000

kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

I've never had a prostate exam from an AME - he must like you....

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2017, at 3:54 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

Yeah, I just got a new class 2, but I don't know what I'll do in the future. I probably will just continue with class 2's every 2 years and letting them fall to class 3's as I have been. While the new medical thing is a benefit for some, it's still unclear what that means for insurance companies. And I personally have not seen the medical process as a major issue. The price I have paid is reasonable and it has forced me to get a physical every 2 years which is not a bad idea anyway. Personally I think that while the new process may help a few people, it does nothing worthwhile for me. My AME is friendly, 2 miles from the airport, and always gives me good health advice that I very poorly follow.
And for some under 40 people, just the fact that the medical can be good for 5 years will save them money to go on the regular class 3 plan. The new system doesn't really exempt them from being evaluated to the same standard, and failing to be signed off, as far as I can tell. I may help some people logistically though. Really, the only thing that would have made a huge difference is doing it like a sport pilot is required to today.
The other thing is, from everything I've heard, the second class and 3rd are basically evaluated to the same standard, so why NOT go the second class route? I see no down side so I've done it for years just in case I got my commercial.
Maybe as I age I'll find reason to change, but creeping up on 50 I'm ok with either process today.
My big head scratcher is why the old slippery finger test is required for a flight physical... Who cares if I have prostate cancer if I am otherwise healthy. Wink. But I bend over and take it because it has run in my family in a grandfather so I even now get PSA tests occasionally....it may be good to know.
Anyway, it's a chuckle because the AME always calls it "the complimentary prostate exam". He's always good for a laugh and a few flying stories. His personal view on the new medical reform is that it will actually require MORE cost, paperwork, time, and effort on many applicants because today all I have to do is fill in one form by re-entering the same stuff that was on my last one (which he gives me a pdf of) and adding anything new. Then i just go see him. No webinar to watch and when was under 40 it was only every 5 months. So the only thing the new process does is double my visit interval to 4 years (it was 4 years, right) but requires other effort every 2. And at 48 I should probably see a doctor more regularly than 4 years. Not that the new process is that bad...I just don't see it as a huge leap forward. Time will tell how the physicians and insurance industry take it. One thing for sure....if it reduces the financial situation and people no longer choose to b!
e an AME because the effort isn't worth the reduced number of patients, that could lead to an AME shortage that will jack up prices for commercial pilots and make AME's harder to get to. We don't need that happening either.

Tim

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 12:08 AM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
>
>
>
> One more thing: Have you thought about your medical? If you want to use your commercial you'll need a second class. I have previously gotten a second class but only every 2 years, so I had a 50-50 chance of having a valid second class if a commercial opportunity came along. In 30 years it happened just once - I was hired to ferry a 182 from CA to Wisconsin. Now, with medical reform and just needing a physical every 4 years, I probably will let the class two be a thing of the past.
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=465000#465000
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Of course there are exceptions to 2nd class medical requirement, specifically certain CFI activities. Some don't even require a valid medical of any kind.

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:08 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=465000#465000

FORUMS -
WIKI -
b Site -

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

The 2nd class standards for some things are significantly different than 3rd. I don't know all of them, but distant vision is correctable to 20/20 while 3rd is only correctable to 20/40. Working as a controller, a 2nd is required, and at the time I was hired (40 years ago) I had to get a SODA for both vision and hearing. Don't need the SODA's for 3rd class at all. I too used to get 2nd every other year. I stopped because I didn't need 2nd and many AMEs do charge more for 2nd. You can refuse the prostate check...it is not required for FAA. Why some AMEs think they should do it, I don't know. I get PSA with annual non-FAA physical and that is all my primary doc feels is needed. I can assure you that after 50 our bodies are more prone to problems, and passing the FAA exam becomes less and less certain. 18 months ago I needed retina surgery that was an age related issue, and threatened my medical. Fortunately, it and the subsequent cataract surgery adequately restored my vision before my medical was due and could submit a required ophthalmologic report with satisfactory figures. Blood pressure is another very common condition as you age, usually quite manageable with proper medication, but just another supplemental report for the AME.

Time will tell, but I do not think the just issued rule will help very many pilots, and is certainly not what was sought by EAA and AOPA in the beginning. The compromises to get the bill passed seriously limited its benefit.
-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:54 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I just got a new class 2, but I don't know what I'll do in the future.
My big head scratcher is why the old slippery finger test is required for a flight physical...  Who cares if I have prostate cancer if I am otherwise healthy. Wink.  But I bend over and take it because it has run in my family in a grandfather so I even now get PSA tests occasionally....it may be good to know.
Anyway, it's a chuckle because the AME always calls it "the complimentary prostate exam". 

===============================
_ ===========================
b Site -

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Tim I agree with what you are saying........for people in perfect health.
But, just have your eye doctor tell you that you have ocular hypertension
and see what happens. The eye doc called me good, but the FAA made me redo
all the testing and then wait three months for my medical based on the
favorable (normal) test results I had submitted. My flight doc is my
regular doc so I did call him about the eyes and he told me what was needed
and that I should start my physical early so I did. 45 days early was not
enough.......the FAA needed 90. And as far as a 1 finger wave, he always
offers and then reminds me that my PSA looks good.

If the underlying standards are not changed and we are still required to
meet them, then we really have gained very little. Remember that if you
wake up today and are not meeting any of those standard you are not to fly.
I was reminded of that by the FAA, the letter, saying I was grounded if any
of my conditions changed.

Rene'
801-721-6080

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: transition Reply with quote

Hey Rene',

See what you are saying informs and confuses me. I see why that
would be nice for you to not have to be restricted by the FAA due
to not being able to get a class 1,2,3 medical. But, like you
also said, if the underlying standards are not changed, you didn't
really gain anything. I really right now think that from what
I've heard from my AME, the standards are such that they really
aren't any different. If that's true, then what we see as a benefit
is really not that much of a benefit. The biggest GAIN is just going
from a 2 year cycle to a 4 year. The effort and paperwork would
be HIGHER with the new system. The cost is variable. I think I still
pay under $200 for a class 3 or 2 and they cost the same as
eachother. Probably a good deal on my part.

To me what we should have really been hoping for is maybe just
a time extension....like make the class 3 under 40 good for
8-10 years, over 40 be for 5 years. That to me would have been
something to cheer about. Then for the class 2, maybe go for
2 years. But the way it is today, with the new system, how many
people do you think are going to remember to do their 2 year
online program? I bet most people forget to do it and
then only do the 4 year doc visit. Then we'll probably see more
people get violated for not having proper medical papers.
You don't know how many times i've been asked for my medical
the past few months. Wink (expected, since I was doing a lot of
training stuff).

It would also be nice to have just a couple of the standards
lowered just a little for class 3. We all know that some
things aren't as unsafe as the FAA thinks, in all cases.
Then again, maybe some people need motivation to do the
right thing to stay healthy. Either way, I'm sure it's
not a universally correct answer. Everyone has a different
circumstance, as some of the replies show. Right now I'm
kind of a freak in a way. 48, don't use any form of medication
of any type, never smoked, don't drink much (although last
night was an exception Smile ), and no real allergies or
other issues. My worst thing is I need reading glasses, but
can still pass the FAA eye chart. People my age that I know
are starting to be on all sorts of pills, and have all
sorts of ills. (man I don't FEEL old) Smile
(Don't laugh, all of you who are older who think....he's NOT old) Smile

Hopefully everything will eventually change to make it more of
a drivers license medical, but I'm not holding my breath.
Tim
On 1/12/2017 9:22 AM, Rene wrote:
[quote]

Tim I agree with what you are saying........for people in perfect health.
But, just have your eye doctor tell you that you have ocular hypertension
and see what happens. The eye doc called me good, but the FAA made me redo
all the testing and then wait three months for my medical based on the
favorable (normal) test results I had submitted. My flight doc is my
regular doc so I did call him about the eyes and he told me what was needed
and that I should start my physical early so I did. 45 days early was not
enough.......the FAA needed 90. And as far as a 1 finger wave, he always
offers and then reminds me that my PSA looks good.

If the underlying standards are not changed and we are still required to
meet them, then we really have gained very little. Remember that if you
wake up today and are not meeting any of those standard you are not to fly.
I was reminded of that by the FAA, the letter, saying I was grounded if any
of my conditions changed.

Rene'
801-721-6080

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: