Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator Push Rod Issue

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dfritz(at)bpgsim.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Elevator Push Rod Issue Reply with quote

I have fabricated the F-1089 elevator push rod, drilled the ends, and
deburred and smoothed out the inside of the tube. When I try to insert
VA-111 into the push rod it does not fit. I have used a Scotch brite
pad on the inside of the tube to try to expand the opening enough for
VA-111 to fit, but after quite a bit of circling the pad on the inside
do not seem to be making much headway. Anyone else had this problem and
if so how did you solve it.

Dave

Working again on 40813 fuselage


- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Elevator Push Rod Issue Reply with quote

Don't remember any problems .....
If you take your deburring tool to the inside edge of the tube and
outside edge of the VA-111 to create a 'ramp' you may have better
results. Just thinking out loud ....
Linn

On 1/28/2017 8:44 PM, David J. Fritzsche wrote:
Quote:

I have fabricated the F-1089 elevator push rod, drilled the ends, and
deburred and smoothed out the inside of the tube. When I try to
insert VA-111 into the push rod it does not fit. I have used a
Scotch brite pad on the inside of the tube to try to expand the
opening enough for VA-111 to fit, but after quite a bit of circling
the pad on the inside do not seem to be making much headway. Anyone
else had this problem and if so how did you solve it.

Dave

Working again on 40813 fuselage



- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rjones560xl@gmail.com



Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 4
Location: Las Vegas, NV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Elevator Push Rod Issue Reply with quote

I made the push rods quite a while ago and I do remember that it was a tight fit. I sanded the threaded end pieces a little and made sure the tube was really smooth on the inside. I still had to screw a grade 8 bolt in the end to extract them after drilling to debut and prime them on the inside.

Robert Jones
702-521-1840

Quote:
On Jan 28, 2017, at 20:00, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:



Don't remember any problems .....
If you take your deburring tool to the inside edge of the tube and outside edge of the VA-111 to create a 'ramp' you may have better results. Just thinking out loud ....
Linn

> On 1/28/2017 8:44 PM, David J. Fritzsche wrote:
>
>
>
> I have fabricated the F-1089 elevator push rod, drilled the ends, and deburred and smoothed out the inside of the tube. When I try to insert VA-111 into the push rod it does not fit. I have used a Scotch brite pad on the inside of the tube to try to expand the opening enough for VA-111 to fit, but after quite a bit of circling the pad on the inside do not seem to be making much headway. Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it.
>
> Dave
>
> Working again on 40813 fuselage
>
>
>
>
>






- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Robert J Jones
702-521-1840
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dave Saylor



Joined: 11 Jan 2015
Posts: 102
Location: GILROY, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Elevator Push Rod Issue Reply with quote

You might try just double checking the OD and ID to make sure they're close.  I'd guess they should be within two or three thousandths.  If they're close, try heating the tube with a heat gun--not too hot--and putting the plug in a freezer for a while.  For a close interference fit, that usually helps a lot.

--Dave
On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 5:44 PM, David J. Fritzsche <dfritz(at)bpgsim.com (dfritz(at)bpgsim.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "David J. Fritzsche" <dfritz(at)bpgsim.com (dfritz(at)bpgsim.com)>


I have fabricated the F-1089 elevator push rod, drilled the ends, and deburred and smoothed out the inside of the tube.  When I try to insert VA-111 into the push rod it does not fit.   I have used a Scotch brite pad on the inside of the tube to try to expand  the opening enough for VA-111 to fit, but after quite a bit of circling the pad on the inside do not seem to be making much headway.  Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it.

Dave

Working again on 40813 fuselage

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
====================================
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
====================================
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================





- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
--Dave
KWVI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
glastar(at)gmx.net
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Elevator Push Rod Issue Reply with quote

That's what I did, after drilling them refitting was a pain, but the
cold/warm trick made it possible with little effort.

Cheers Werner

On 29.01.2017 06:21, David Saylor wrote:
Quote:
they're close, try heating the tube with a heat gun--not too hot--and
putting the plug in a freezer for a while. For a close interference
fit, that usually helps a lot.

--Dave



- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
hokie737



Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Elevator Push Rod Issue Reply with quote

I had the same issue. It makes a difference on how you cut the aluminum tube. I used a pipe cutter instead of a hack saw or band saw. It slightly reduced the diameter of the cut end. Won’t do that again if id is critical.
There are at least 3 ways to insert the VA-111 that I found.
First method: gently sand/file the inner edge of the tube forming a ramp like Linn suggested. Then with a mallet or block of wood on the floor gently tap the VA-111 into place. Gently because once it is started it will move quickly beyond your drilled holes. (ask me how I know this)
Second: Sand/file the VA-111 to form a ramp and proceed as above.
Third: Use an exhaust pipe expander to slightly increase the inside diameter.
I used the first method and it worked great. You will notice the widened part extends beyond the VA-111 and is no factor.

Bill


Sent from Mail for Windows 10


- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
I would rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group