Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: GPS Antenna Reply with quote

I am afraid the antenna will not have a long life under the cowl due to heat.

I am not opposed to it being on the glare shield, just would like it out of site if possible.

Has anyone tried putting the GPS Antenna in the overhead console (I have Geoff's), between the doors?  Will I get signal through the cabin top?

--
Vernon Franklin

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: GPS Antenna Reply with quote

GTN-650 and Dynon GPS antennas on the glare shield, one on each side.  Work perfectly.  I wrap the white GTN-650 antenna with some dark cloth so that it does not reflect on the glass.  No reason for them to not work in an overhead console but I vetoed such a console as an unneeded waste of headroom.  Others may have different opinions.

I share your concern with GPS antennas mounted under the cowl.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Vernon Franklin
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:48 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: GPS Antenna

I am not opposed to it being on the glare shield, just would like it out of site if possible.

Has anyone tried putting the GPS Antenna in the overhead console (I have Geoff's), between the doors? Will I get signal through the cabin top?

--
Vernon Franklin

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: GPS Antenna Reply with quote

I’ve taken considerable data for under cowl temperatures through all phases of flight and shut-down with a data logger. For the upper portion of the low pressure side of the cowling on the RV-10 the temperature is about 10 C rise over ambient for all phases except for shut down. Upon shut down the temperature rises to about +40 C rise for about 8 minutes followed by about a cool down back to ambient. For electronic systems this is not much of a thermal burden.
That said, when I built my –10 I didn’t have the data for under cowl temperatures so instead I investigated GPS signal strength with the antennas mounted under the cabin top and hidden by my overhead console. I have dual garmin 430 W navigators so I took data for satellite received signal strength with one antenna positioned in the cabin looking up through the cabin top and one antenna outside the aircraft with an unobstructed view of the sky. There was absolutely no difference between the two systems. They both had the same number of satellites received and at the same signal level.
After five years of flying I’m totally satisfied that those GPS hockey puck antennas work perfectly well mounted inside the cabin looking up through the fiberglass.

Bob Newman
N541RV
www.tcwtech.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:47 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Has anyone tried putting the GPS Antenna in the overhead console (I have Geoff's), between the doors? Will I get signal through the cabin top?

--
Vernon Franklin

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: GPS Antenna Reply with quote

I logged similar temps under the cowling. Probably not an issue for antennas, but those that decide to install lithium batteries there take note of those numbers. My temps also went up to around the same numbers during runup after a few minutes of taxiing around.

My glareshield is two-component foam between two thin layers of fiberglass wrapped in black ultraleather. I carved out the foam from the bottom and put my WxWorx XM antenna puck there. It's not visible at all and it works great. It would most likely work fine with a GPS antenna too.

Lenny

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com wrote:
I’ve taken considerable data for under cowl temperatures through all phases of flight and shut-down with a data logger. For the upper portion of the low pressure side of the cowling on the RV-10 the temperature is about 10 C rise over ambient for all phases except for shut down. Upon shut down the temperature rises to about +40 C rise for about 8 minutes followed by about a cool down back to ambient. For electronic systems this is not much of a thermal burden.
That said, when I built my –10 I didn’t have the data for under cowl temperatures so instead I investigated GPS signal strength with the antennas mounted under the cabin top and hidden by my overhead console. I have dual garmin 430 W navigators so I took data for satellite received signal strength with one antenna positioned in the cabin looking up through the cabin top and one antenna outside the aircraft with an unobstructed view of the sky. There was absolutely no difference between the two systems. They both had the same number of satellites received and at the same signal level.
After five years of flying I’m totally satisfied that those GPS hockey puck antennas work perfectly well mounted inside the cabin looking up through the fiberglass.

Bob Newman
N541RV
www.tcwtech.com

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

--
Vernon Franklin

rvdave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: GPS Antenna Reply with quote

I have an under cowl gps antenna mounted on a bracket from engine mount to firewall on my rv6 with 550 hours and still going with no dropouts ever had.

On the 10 I'm building I've put two gps antennae in the overhead one in each bay-- expecting similar results.

fgcobble(at)roadrunner.co

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: GPS Antenna Reply with quote

just getting around to installing my G3X system in RV10 - given your study where do you recommend installing? 1) Mounted under fiberglass canopy - i assume over pilot and copilots heads or 2) under engine cowling? My understanding is the typical installation is outside on roof of canopy near the front. Thx for feedback
---- Bob-tcw <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com> wrote:
Quote:

Bob Newman
N541RV
www.tcwtech.com

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com

--

Vernon Franklin

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Antenna Reply with quote

The antenna for my 420W is external, on top of the tailcone, about 2 feet behind the baggage area bulkhead. Partly because, at the time, Garmin specified a certain minimum insertion loss (they had a mismatch in designed and actual antenna sensitivities after outsourcing the antenna). The loss could be introduced with an attenuator, or just a specified length of coax.
Two things that have never been clear to me: (1) Do these antennas require a ground plane?, and (2) are they technically illegal for IFR use if not installed per the TSO'd documentation (which always shows them external)?

dan(at)syz.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: GPS Antenna Reply with quote

Quote:
On 2017-Feb-21, at 9:47 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have two GPS antennas - one for a GTN 650 mounted externally above the cabin, and a backup "hockey puck" style antenna exactly where you mentioned (in the Aerosport Products console) that gets its signal through the cabin top fibreglass. Both work great - actually, the hockey puck antenna usually gets a signal quicker than the external GTN 650 antenna (though that's quite possibly because it isn't as critical as to how reliable a signal it gets, as long as it gets something within reason - the GTN 650 needs to have a reliable signal before it will even begin to deliver a position).

If you have the overhead console anyway, as I do, I really can't see a reason not to put it there - it can't be seen, and at least in my case, works great.

Dan
---
Dan Charrois
President, Syzygy Research & Technology
Phone: 780-961-2213

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: