Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Falcon pitot tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Falcon pitot tube Reply with quote

In many years of flying I have never encountered a pitot tube failure until now. When I built the aircraft and made first flight in 2008, the Falcon tube worked correctly. After 1100 hours it failed; the business end of the tube actually broke the aluminum tube and an air leak occurred. I began to suspect something amiss after observing almost constant tail wind conditions on breakfast flights, both out and return. I had it checked by an avionics tech and the main piece came off in his hand. The internal tube through the heating element had severed. I thought of two possible reasons; (1) 1100 hours of flight vibration or possibility the encounter with the hangar door (the tube was not struck by anything). At any rate be cautious about this since the high side airspeed (IAS) was indicating low by 15-25 knots and the low side was indicating low by 10-15 knots. Consider the high speed descents (in the yellow arc) and you can easily exceed the TAS red line without knowing it. Fortunately I descend at Va (125 KIAS) so an airspeed error just puts me in the bottom of the yellow arc. BTW the Falcon tubes are now manufactured in China with a two month lead time and no stock; I opted using the Garmin GAP 26 which has both pitot and AOA lines and works fine with a 14V system.

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rv10flyer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Falcon pitot tube Reply with quote

I also have a Falcon from 2011. Will keep an eye on it.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dlm34077(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Falcon pitot tube Reply with quote

After my Falcon broke internally(?) I found a much better solution from Garmin , the GAP 26 includes heated pitot and AOA , approximately $300-500.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: