Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking In

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisherflyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Checking In Reply with quote

Fairly new member here (only a couple years, and never posted before). I
bought my KitFox lll
about three years ago. Did a complete paint job and lots of other little
maint. and creature comfort
mods. I'm running a 912UL and IVO prop. Down for its operating inspection
and am replacing my panel.
Still a student pilot. Built a PPC back in about 1982, flew it many years
and switched to a weight shift trike.
Then moved on the a Fisher 202 Koala. Still have the trike,but will be
selling it soon. Learned to fly them all
on my own until I got the KF. Flying isn't a problem but learning all the
regs, airspace, etc. has proven to be a
large job for an old guy. That and finding an instructor willing to teach in
an experimental taildragger.
Had one who didn't want top fly behind a Rotax, one ground looped it and
backed out, one died in a trike
accident in AR., 2 that said they would but never could make the time. One
flew with me for a couple hrs.
but is too far away (200 miles) and the one that gave me ALMOST enough hrs.
moved to MS before we got done.
So I'm once again looking for an instructor. And believe me, ND doesn’t have
a whole lot of them. But by hook
of crook I'll get there.
I do have a trailer and would take it out of state if I could find someone
willing to try to get me done in a few days.
Still need my Xcountries and a sign off for the practical.
Cal Anderson
N514RC
Enderlin ND

--

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
peteohms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Checking In Reply with quote

Cal, Why not call Stuck and Rudder in Idaho. Maybe you can work something out.

Pete
Kitfox III, Sn 1000, 912
Leander, Tx

[quote] On Mar 27, 2017, at 10:52 AM, Cal Anderson <calvin(at)mlgc.com> wrote:

Fairly new member here (only a couple years, and never posted before). I bought my KitFox lll
about three years ago. Did a complete paint job and lots of other little maint. and creature comfort
mods. I'm running a 912UL and IVO prop. Down for its operating inspection and am replacing my panel.
Still a student pilot. Built a PPC back in about 1982, flew it many years and switched to a weight shift trike.
Then moved on the a Fisher 202 Koala. Still have the trike,but will be selling it soon. Learned to fly them all
on my own until I got the KF. Flying isn't a problem but learning all the regs, airspace, etc. has proven to be a
large job for an old guy. That and finding an instructor willing to teach in an experimental taildragger.
Had one who didn't want top fly behind a Rotax, one ground looped it and backed out, one died in a trike
accident in AR., 2 that said they would but never could make the time. One flew with me for a couple hrs.
but is too far away (200 miles) and the one that gave me ALMOST enough hrs. moved to MS before we got done.
So I'm once again looking for an instructor. And believe me, ND doesn’t have a whole lot of them. But by hook
of crook I'll get there.
I do have a trailer and would take it out of state if I could find someone willing to try to get me done in a few days.
Cal Anderson
N514RC
Enderlin ND

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

fisherflyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Checking In Reply with quote

Yeah I would love to go fly with them. However they are a little out of my price range. And a bit farther than I would like to go. Great reputation though.

Pat Reilly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Checking In Reply with quote

Cal, Great to hear of another "Old Guy" getting his license. I was 65 when I got mine. I did have an ultra light 20 years previous. Just how old is an old guy, anyway?

I had started taking lessons in a Cessna 172 but wanted to fly a real airplane with a stick between your legs and a wheel on the back. I bought a wrecked Model 3 no panel or engine, needed recovering and a new landing gear installed. It was set up for that Rotax 912 like yours.
I found a club 20 miles away with a Champ. I joined got 10 hrs instruction and soloed in the champ. My instructor said he'd sign my log book next time after he showed me how to tie the plane down to prop it. I didn't know it at the time. One of his previous students started the plane without tying it down. The plane hit a hanger and totaled the plane out.
Well, to make a long story a little shorter, a student totaled the club's 172 the next week. That was the club's 3rd claim for a totaled airplane in 5 years. They lost their insurance. I started in serious on restoring my mod. III. I found a Rotax 582 complete with prop, mount everything and converted to the 2 stroke. I'm an "old dirt bike rider" and love 2 strokes anyway.
The club got their insurance coverage back, but had sold the Champ. I finished getting my license in a Cessna 152 3 years after I started and completed the Kitfox restoration a few months later. Don't give up. Sounds like you won't anyway. 
I have 200 hours on the Kitfox and am rebuilding a Whitman Tailwind that I will have up this year.
Welcome to the Matronics site. I couldn't have rebuilt my plane without. The newer Kitfox Team site is a pain in the ass. Not user friendly. There are still enough old guys monitoring this site to answer your questions. And, if you are truly an "old guy" you will appreciate the simplicity of this site. Guess I'll have to start contributing to the site again if I'm going to use it.
Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuilt
Rockford, IL

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Pete Christensen <pchristensen10(at)austin.rr.com (pchristensen10(at)austin.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Pete Christensen <pchristensen10(at)austin.rr.com (pchristensen10(at)austin.rr.com)>

Cal, Why not call Stuck and Rudder in Idaho. Maybe you can work something out.

Pete
Kitfox III, Sn 1000, 912
Leander, Tx

> On Mar 27, 2017, at 10:52 AM, Cal Anderson <calvin(at)mlgc.com (calvin(at)mlgc.com)> wrote:
>
> --> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Cal Anderson" <calvin(at)mlgc.com (calvin(at)mlgc.com)>
>
> Fairly new member here (only a couple years, and never posted before). I bought my KitFox lll
> about three years ago. Did a complete paint job and lots of other little maint. and creature comfort
> mods. I'm running a 912UL and IVO prop. Down for its operating inspection and am replacing my panel.
> Still a student pilot. Built a PPC back in about 1982, flew it many years and switched to a weight shift trike.
> Then moved on the a Fisher 202 Koala. Still have the trike,but will be selling it soon. Learned to fly them all
> on my own until I got the KF. Flying isn't a problem but learning all the regs, airspace, etc. has proven to be a
> large job for an old guy. That and finding an instructor willing to teach in an experimental taildragger.
> Had one who didn't want top fly behind a Rotax, one ground looped it and backed out, one died in a trike
> accident in AR., 2 that said they would but never could make the time. One flew with me for a couple hrs.
> but is too far away (200 miles) and the one that gave me ALMOST enough hrs. moved to MS before we got done.
> So I'm once again looking for an instructor. And believe me, ND doesn’t have a whole lot of them. But by hook
> of crook I'll get there.
> I do have a trailer and would take it out of state if I could find someone willing to try to get me done in a few days.
> Still need my Xcountries and a sign off for the practical.
> Cal Anderson
> N514RC
> Enderlin ND
>
> --

MDKitfox(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Checking In Reply with quote

Hi guys. Just checking in. Been flying my Series V since 09. Lots of fun. Be aware; I have a Maule tail wheel and the lock failed. The airplane became Mr. Toads wild ride during landing. No ground loop but as close to out of control as I ever want to be and I have 10k hours and over 50 years of flying. Other than that it's been a great trouble free plane. Just be sure to service those items that require it at the condition inspection.

I found this list and the people on it to be top notch and willing to help whenever possible. Thank you for that. New guys should probably do both lists and take advantage of the vast experience base of both.

Hope to see you all at Oshkosh 2017.

Regards,

Rick Weiss
Series V Speedster S/N 001. Rotax power, Dynon guidance.
Chairman, EAA Homebuilt Aircraft Council and EAA board member.

Cheers and Fly Safe!

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On Mar 27, 2017, at 11:52 AM, Cal Anderson <calvin(at)mlgc.com> wrote:

Fairly new member here (only a couple years, and never posted before). I bought my KitFox lll
about three years ago. Did a complete paint job and lots of other little maint. and creature comfort
mods. I'm running a 912UL and IVO prop. Down for its operating inspection and am replacing my panel.
Still a student pilot. Built a PPC back in about 1982, flew it many years and switched to a weight shift trike.
Then moved on the a Fisher 202 Koala. Still have the trike,but will be selling it soon. Learned to fly them all
on my own until I got the KF. Flying isn't a problem but learning all the regs, airspace, etc. has proven to be a
large job for an old guy. That and finding an instructor willing to teach in an experimental taildragger.
Had one who didn't want top fly behind a Rotax, one ground looped it and backed out, one died in a trike
accident in AR., 2 that said they would but never could make the time. One flew with me for a couple hrs.
but is too far away (200 miles) and the one that gave me ALMOST enough hrs. moved to MS before we got done.
So I'm once again looking for an instructor. And believe me, ND doesn’t have a whole lot of them. But by hook
of crook I'll get there.
I do have a trailer and would take it out of state if I could find someone willing to try to get me done in a few days.
Cal Anderson
N514RC
Enderlin ND

--

poasttown(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Checking In Reply with quote

Cal
I appreciate your situation. Years ago a local airport would pull together a number of local instructors for a day and pilots could schedule their flight reviews. This was a big event and a number pilots participated. One year a number of instructors were willing to go up with me in my Kitfox and a few years later there were no takers.

Back to your issue. If you are close to finishing your training it might be easer to find a local school with a tail dragged and just go with them and get it done. You might also want to contact Skystar to see if they can help.
Good luck.

Mike
1996 Kitfox IV

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On Mar 27, 2017, at 11:52 AM, Cal Anderson <calvin(at)mlgc.com> wrote:

of crook I'll get there.
Cal Anderson
N514RC
Enderlin ND

--

fisherflyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking In Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement.
Just turned 65 in Feb.
I've had my share of 2 strokes also. Actually used 3 different
snowmobile engines on my PPC. 2 Yamahas and 1 Kawasaki.
And a 447 Rotax in my trike and old Koala. Do like the 912 but
its still a pretty high rpm engine. My friends say it sounds like a
4 wheeler flying by.
Cal Anderson
N514RC

Pat Reilly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Checking In Reply with quote

Yes, Those 912's seem to be well liked. They are light weight but still require a reduction box. They are a 
hybrid engine.
Pat Reilly 
On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM, fisherflyer <calvin(at)mlgc.com (calvin(at)mlgc.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "fisherflyer" <calvin(at)mlgc.com (calvin(at)mlgc.com)>

Just turned 65 in Feb.
4 wheeler flying by.
Cal Anderson
N514RC

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=467723#467723

====================================
ox-List" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
FORUMS -
_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
lank" rel="noreferrer">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuilt
W10 0290 Rebuild 
Rockford, IL

fox5flyer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: (also) Checking In Reply with quote

fisherflyer wrote:
Just turned 65 in Feb.
4 wheeler flying by.
Cal Anderson
N514RC

Still flying the Kitfox5 Outback with NSI soob. Engine still as I purchased it except I swapped out the aluminum valve push rods for OEM steel units owing to a broken one that happened fortunately on takeoff roll and never left the ground. With the new push rods I couldn't tell any difference and that was 200 hours ago. Over 600 hours on it since 2000. At 72 I don’t fly as much as I used to or as much as I would like, but still take it up when I have time and wx is nice. Usually I prefer to go someplace and don't spend a lot of time with pattern work. Lots easier getting into/out of my home strip now that I've removed a big obstacle at the east end.

I have always monitored the List and it’s nice to see some action here again. I monitor the TeamKitfox list too, but never could seem to get involved in it.

Deke Morisse

NE Michigan

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Checking In Reply with quote

testing for plain text

Lynn Matteson

On Apr 6, 2017, at 8:48 AM, fox5flyer wrote:

Quote:

fisherflyer wrote:
> Thanks for the encouragement.
> Just turned 65 in Feb.
> I've had my share of 2 strokes also. Actually used 3 different
> snowmobile engines on my PPC. 2 Yamahas and 1 Kawasaki.
> And a 447 Rotax in my trike and old Koala. Do like the 912 but
> its still a pretty high rpm engine. My friends say it sounds like a
> 4 wheeler flying by.
> Cal Anderson
> N514RC

Still flying the Kitfox5 Outback with NSI soob. Engine still as I
purchased it except I swapped out the aluminum valve push rods for
OEM steel units owing to a broken one that happened fortunately on
takeoff roll and never left the ground. With the new push rods I
couldn't tell any difference and that was 200 hours ago. Over 600
hours on it since 2000. At 72 I don’t fly as much as I used to
or as much as I would like, but still take it up when I have time
and wx is nice. Usually I prefer to go someplace and don't spend
a lot of time with pattern work. Lots easier getting into/out of
my home strip now that I've removed a big obstacle at the east end.

I have always monitored the List and it’s nice to see some action
here again. I monitor the TeamKitfox list too, but never could
seem to get involved in it.

Deke Morisse

NE Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: