Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chelton white screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Chelton white screen Reply with quote

I powered up my RV10 the other day and one of the Chelton displays came up with a white screen, which looked liked the backlight was on, but nothing else was working. The other display operated normally. Have any of you seen this before?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
bdgillespie215(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Chelton white screen Reply with quote

I am sure that others will chime in but if you are not aware, Tim O. has an excellent site built http://www.cheltonefispilots.com/ that may help. I had some other issues (hard drive failure) that I panicked over that got resolved fairly easily. If I recall correctly, some folks were able to re-seat the ribbon cables to the screen and help out. There is a lot of good info there on opening up and correcting some of the common problems.
Byron
N253RV

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 6, 2017, at 3:06 PM, Kevin Belue <kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com (kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I powered up my RV10 the other day and one of the Chelton displays came up with a white screen, which looked liked the backlight was on, but nothing else was working. The other display operated normally. Have any of you seen this before?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Chelton white screen Reply with quote

That's correct, thanks Byron.
I would say that at least 50% of the time, people who have issues can fix them by opening the box and pulling some of the sections apart and re-seating them. And, replacing a drive is not all that hard. The hardest part is that some components from that era get more and more scarce as time goes on.
So try some self repair before sending it out. If you send it out you risk shipping damage that may be permanent due to these not being made anymore.
Tim

On Apr 6, 2017, at 2:51 PM, Home <bdgillespie215(at)gmail.com (bdgillespie215(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I am sure that others will chime in but if you are not aware, Tim O. has an excellent site built http://www.cheltonefispilots.com/ that may help. I had some other issues (hard drive failure) that I panicked over that got resolved fairly easily. If I recall correctly, some folks were able to re-seat the ribbon cables to the screen and help out. There is a lot of good info there on opening up and correcting some of the common problems.
Byron
N253RV

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 6, 2017, at 3:06 PM, Kevin Belue <kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com (kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Chelton white screen Reply with quote

I agree with you on possibility of damage from shipping. I plan to take it apart and reseat cables and check it out as you suggest Tim. I design equipment similar to this, so it's not something new to me in general, but I want to collect insight and experience from anyone who has had problems so I don't waste time on something that's already been done. I appreciate the previous comments and suggestions. I have a login for Tim's Chelton website, but forgot my login. Tim - can you tell what my user name is? I don't have enough info to retrieve my password...
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I would say that at least 50% of the time, people who have issues can fix them by opening the box and pulling some of the sections apart and re-seating them.  And, replacing a drive is not all that hard.  The hardest part is that some components from that era get more and more scarce as time goes on.
So try some self repair before sending it out. If you send it out you risk shipping damage that may be permanent due to these not being made anymore.
Tim

On Apr 6, 2017, at 2:51 PM, Home <bdgillespie215(at)gmail.com (bdgillespie215(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I am sure that others will chime in but if you are not aware, Tim O. has an excellent site built http://www.cheltonefispilots.com/ that may help. I had some other issues (hard drive failure) that I panicked over that got resolved fairly easily. If I recall correctly, some folks were able to re-seat the ribbon cables to the screen and help out. There is a lot of good info there on opening up and correcting some of the common problems.
Byron
N253RV

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

gengrumpy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Chelton white screen Reply with quote

Kevin,
When you pull yours apart to re-seat them, I suggest that you (1) use some contact cleaner on the contacts and (2) examine the ribbon connectors very closely. I found that one of mine had a very slight puncture in a single strand from how things got layered during the original build. I chased that gremlin for several years before discovering that puncture….

grumpy
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Kevin Belue <kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com (kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
I agree with you on possibility of damage from shipping. I plan to take it apart and reseat cables and check it out as you suggest Tim. I design equipment similar to this, so it's not something new to me in general, but I want to collect insight and experience from anyone who has had problems so I don't waste time on something that's already been done. I appreciate the previous comments and suggestions. I have a login for Tim's Chelton website, but forgot my login. Tim - can you tell what my user name is? I don't have enough info to retrieve my password...
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I would say that at least 50% of the time, people who have issues can fix them by opening the box and pulling some of the sections apart and re-seating them. And, replacing a drive is not all that hard. The hardest part is that some components from that era get more and more scarce as time goes on.
Tim
Quote:
I am sure that others will chime in but if you are not aware, Tim O. has an excellent site built http://www.cheltonefispilots.com/ that may help. I had some other issues (hard drive failure) that I panicked over that got resolved fairly easily. If I recall correctly, some folks were able to re-seat the ribbon cables to the screen and help out. There is a lot of good info there on opening up and correcting some of the common problems.

Byron
N253RVSent from my iPad
Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: