Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue Bird Flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Blue Bird Flight Reply with quote

Late this evening I pushed the MKIII out of the hanger. Not an easy job loaded down with 25 gal, 150 lbs, of 91 oct mogas. This was fuel to get me halfway to Lakeland.
The MKIII performed well. Great flying weather, no wind and cool.
I checked out stall speed, idle power, with this load:
35-36 mph clean.
32 mph 20 deg flaps.
30 mph 40 deg flaps.
Shot a dozen landings in all configurations without blowing any of them. I can't take credit for that. I think the VGs are working.
Not sure if I have lost any cruise speed or not. If I have, it is very close, if at all.
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Titus, Alabama
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Blue Bird Flight Reply with quote

John, it's good to hear you're up there having some fun. I finished the new breakaway tailwheel project today. Now I just need some warm weather up here in northern Michigan so I can finish painting the left wing on the old Firestar MK1, so I can try it out.
[img]cid:F186078C-007D-4456-AFCB-78E23C394470[/img]

George H.
Firestar MK1, #FS100
14GDH
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)
Mesick, Michigan

Have a great day!

On Apr 8, 2017, at 10:56 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Blue Bird Flight
Late this evening I pushed the MKIII out of the hanger. Not an easy job loaded down with 25 gal, 150 lbs, of 91 oct mogas.  This was fuel to get me halfway to Lakeland.
35-36 mph clean.
32 mph 20 deg flaps.
30 mph 40 deg flaps.
Shot a dozen landings in all configurations without blowing any of them. I can't take credit for that. I think the VGs are working.
Not sure if I have lost any cruise speed or not. If I have, it is very close, if at all.
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.56 KB
 Viewed:  2388 Time(s)

image1.JPG

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Blue Bird Flight Reply with quote

Glad that you could get out John. It was a good reward for you, if you
know what I mean.

I have always found the idea that having the "little bitty thingy ma
bobs" on your wing that are designed to reattach the air flow to said
wing, being maligned because "they might" slow your plane down a bit,
to be a bit of a head scratcher. ( I might still be suffering from
inaccurate writing here.) I had always thought that air swirling from
being unattached was the culprit, not the solution. Heck, you could be
going faster.

Just look at it this way. What is the first thing you do when you get
in rough weather? You slow down! It could be an improvement built in.

Still a bit cranky,
Larry

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 8:56 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:
Quote:
Late this evening I pushed the MKIII out of the hanger. Not an easy job
loaded down with 25 gal, 150 lbs, of 91 oct mogas.

Quote:
Not sure if I have lost any cruise speed or not. If I have, it is very
close, if at all.

john h

mkIII

Titus, Alabama

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email
address before sending.

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Blue Bird Flight Reply with quote

You're right, John. Original is just to much typing every time. I'll just use Firestar 1 in the future. I did build a Twinstar Mk II which was the second variant of original Twinstar. (open to enclosed cockpit)Which lead to the original MkIII.
[img]cid:12C315B3-5FAC-4293-8ED7-48B1185CB2C5[/img]
George H.
Firestar 1,(original) #FS100
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan

Have a great day!

On Apr 9, 2017, at 12:08 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]-->Blue Bird Flight <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I think George H has invented a new model Firestar, the MKI.

If memory serves me correctly these are the Firestar models. Ya'll correct me if I am wrong.

-Firestar
-Firestar KXP
-Firestar II

Don't think there was a MKI, but I know what you are getting at. Folks, not Homer Kolb, decided to call the first FS model the "original" FS, and the "original" MKIII.

BTW: You could cut that tail wheel strut in half and still have more strut than you will ever need. Shortening the strut reduces torsional twist, bouncing, bending, and wiggling. Makes tail wheel steering a little tighter. I use a 6" (exposed length) .120" wall heat treated 4130 strut. Works good on Miss P'fer.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of George Helton
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2017 10:19 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Blue Bird Flight

John, it's good to hear you're up there having some fun. I finished the new breakaway tailwheel project today. Now I just need some warm weather up here in northern Michigan so I can finish painting the left wing on the old Firestar MK1, so I can try it out.

<image001.jpg>

George H.

Firestar MK1, #FS100

14GDH

Mesick, Michigan

Have a great day!
On Apr 8, 2017, at 10:56 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Late this evening I pushed the MKIII out of the hanger. Not an easy job loaded down with 25 gal, 150 lbs, of 91 oct mogas. This was fuel to get me halfway to Lakeland.
35-36 mph clean.
32 mph 20 deg flaps.
30 mph 40 deg flaps.
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.45 KB
 Viewed:  2383 Time(s)

image1.JPG

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Blue Bird Flight Reply with quote

John, I meant to thank you for tailwheel strut info. Makes sense to me. I'll give shortening it up a bit a try. I just left the length the same as the original fiberglass strut.
George H.
Firestar 1, #FS100
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan

Have a great day!

On Apr 9, 2017, at 12:08 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]-->Blue Bird Flight <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

If memory serves me correctly these are the Firestar models. Ya'll correct me if I am wrong.

-Firestar
-Firestar KXP
-Firestar II

Don't think there was a MKI, but I know what you are getting at. Folks, not Homer Kolb, decided to call the first FS model the "original" FS, and the "original" MKIII.

BTW: You could cut that tail wheel strut in half and still have more strut than you will ever need. Shortening the strut reduces torsional twist, bouncing, bending, and wiggling. Makes tail wheel steering a little tighter. I use a 6" (exposed length) .120" wall heat treated 4130 strut. Works good on Miss P'fer.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of George Helton

<image001.jpg>

George H.

Firestar MK1, #FS100

14GDH

Mesick, Michigan

Have a great day!
Quote:

35-36 mph clean.
32 mph 20 deg flaps.
30 mph 40 deg flaps.
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Blue Bird Flight Reply with quote

George H/Kolbers:

The two photos will give you an idea what mine looks like.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of George Helton
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2017 3:45 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

John, I meant to thank you for tailwheel strut info. Makes sense to me. I'll give shortening it up a bit a try. I just left the length the same as the original fiberglass strut.

George H.

Firestar 1, #FS100

14GDH

Mesick, Michigan

Have a great day!
Quote:

-Firestar
-Firestar KXP
-Firestar II

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

<image001.jpg>

George H.

Firestar MK1, #FS100

14GDH

Mesick, Michigan

Have a great day!
Quote:

35-36 mph clean.
32 mph 20 deg flaps.
30 mph 40 deg flaps.
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

DSCF2395_resize.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.99 KB
 Viewed:  2371 Time(s)

DSCF2395_resize.JPG

DSCF2396_resize.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  303 KB
 Viewed:  2371 Time(s)

DSCF2396_resize.JPG

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: