Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spark Plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philperry9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

I was doing a run up the other day and noticed that I had a dead cylinder on #2 when running on the mags.   Further checking showed a bad plug...  I'm still not completely happy with what I'm seeing as I've seen suspect signs that other cylinders are dropping off intermittently on the mag too.  We can get into the trouble shooting in another thread at a future time if this doesn't resolve the issues.

At this point, after having found one bad plug and having questions of the others, I'm going to go ahead and replace all 6 (Mag) and then re-test.   I suspect the box was dropped in one of the many freight trips they've made over their lifetime.  
What seems to be the spark plug of choice?   I have 9:1 pistons with a Lightspeed Ignition (Top) and a Slick Impulse Mag (Bottom).
I've heard mixed reviews on Champion plugs.  I've heard great reviews on the Tempest.   But I haven't heard any reviews on Tempest Iridium (assuming they exist?) plugs.
What seems to be the plug of choice?  I'd really like to get to an iridium plug if possible.  Currently have Tempest UREM38E.
Thanks,
Phil

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
civengpe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Phil,
I am running Tempest fine wire in all 12 spots on my engine. I have just over 200 hours with zero issues so far. In fact, they looked brand new when I pulled them at my condition inspection (150ish hrs). The downside is they are insanely expensive. 
Shannon

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I was doing a run up the other day and noticed that I had a dead cylinder on #2 when running on the mags.   Further checking showed a bad plug...  I'm still not completely happy with what I'm seeing as I've seen suspect signs that other cylinders are dropping off intermittently on the mag too.  We can get into the trouble shooting in another thread at a future time if this doesn't resolve the issues.
At this point, after having found one bad plug and having questions of the others, I'm going to go ahead and replace all 6 (Mag) and then re-test.   I suspect the box was dropped in one of the many freight trips they've made over their lifetime.  

What seems to be the spark plug of choice?   I have 9:1 pistons with a Lightspeed Ignition (Top) and a Slick Impulse Mag (Bottom).

I've heard mixed reviews on Champion plugs.  I've heard great reviews on the Tempest.   But I haven't heard any reviews on Tempest Iridium (assuming they exist?) plugs.

What seems to be the plug of choice?  I'd really like to get to an iridium plug if possible.  Currently have Tempest UREM38E.

Thanks,
Phil

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

I only go iridium. I just had mine out after 100 hours on the RV14. It came with standard plugs which I replaced before I ran the engine with iridium. I had absolutely no lead fouling on the plugs at 100 hours.
Tim

Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, at 9:51 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I was doing a run up the other day and noticed that I had a dead cylinder on #2 when running on the mags. Further checking showed a bad plug... I'm still not completely happy with what I'm seeing as I've seen suspect signs that other cylinders are dropping off intermittently on the mag too. We can get into the trouble shooting in another thread at a future time if this doesn't resolve the issues.

At this point, after having found one bad plug and having questions of the others, I'm going to go ahead and replace all 6 (Mag) and then re-test. I suspect the box was dropped in one of the many freight trips they've made over their lifetime.

What seems to be the spark plug of choice? I have 9:1 pistons with a Lightspeed Ignition (Top) and a Slick Impulse Mag (Bottom).

I've heard mixed reviews on Champion plugs. I've heard great reviews on the Tempest. But I haven't heard any reviews on Tempest Iridium (assuming they exist?) plugs.

What seems to be the plug of choice? I'd really like to get to an iridium plug if possible. Currently have Tempest UREM38E.

Thanks,
Phil

philperry9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Do you know if the Tempest fine wire plugs have iridium electrodes, or are they something different?
I've checked their site and can't seem to find it mentioned. You'd think that would be something they'd mention to justify the cost.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Shannon Hicks <civeng123(at)gmail.com (civeng123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Phil,
I am running Tempest fine wire in all 12 spots on my engine. I have just over 200 hours with zero issues so far. In fact, they looked brand new when I pulled them at my condition inspection (150ish hrs). The downside is they are insanely expensive. 
Shannon

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I was doing a run up the other day and noticed that I had a dead cylinder on #2 when running on the mags. Further checking showed a bad plug... I'm still not completely happy with what I'm seeing as I've seen suspect signs that other cylinders are dropping off intermittently on the mag too. We can get into the trouble shooting in another thread at a future time if this doesn't resolve the issues.
At this point, after having found one bad plug and having questions of the others, I'm going to go ahead and replace all 6 (Mag) and then re-test. I suspect the box was dropped in one of the many freight trips they've made over their lifetime.

What seems to be the spark plug of choice? I have 9:1 pistons with a Lightspeed Ignition (Top) and a Slick Impulse Mag (Bottom).

I've heard mixed reviews on Champion plugs. I've heard great reviews on the Tempest. But I haven't heard any reviews on Tempest Iridium (assuming they exist?) plugs.

What seems to be the plug of choice? I'd really like to get to an iridium plug if possible. Currently have Tempest UREM38E.

Thanks,
Phil

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Yes, the fine wire are iridium. Just be careful to never bend the wire, as it is very fine and somewhat fragile. At least that's what tempest says, although I've never had an issue with them.
Tim

On Apr 9, 2017, at 10:27 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Do you know if the Tempest fine wire plugs have iridium electrodes, or are they something different?
I've checked their site and can't seem to find it mentioned. You'd think that would be something they'd mention to justify the cost.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Shannon Hicks <civeng123(at)gmail.com (civeng123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Phil,
Shannon

Quote:
I was doing a run up the other day and noticed that I had a dead cylinder on #2 when running on the mags.   Further checking showed a bad plug... I'm still not completely happy with what I'm seeing as I've seen suspect signs that other cylinders are dropping off intermittently on the mag too. We can get into the trouble shooting in another thread at a future time if this doesn't resolve the issues.

Thanks,
Phil

civengpe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

I really don't think so, but I'm not sure. 
Shannon

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 10:31 AM Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

I've checked their site and can't seem to find it mentioned.  You'd think that would be something they'd mention to justify the cost. 

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
Phil,

Shannon

Quote:

Thanks,
Phil

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

I have around 200 hours on the Tempest UREM38S finewire plugs. They always look clean and the engine is idling much smoother. I was concerned at first seeing how those center iridium electrodes were welded in. I was told by Tempest and a bunch of others who were running these for hundreds of hours that they never come apart. Ordered 12 of them. One of them had a really bad weld. Called them up and they overnighted me a new one. Tempest is awesome!

Yes, they are expensive but long therm these are the cheaper ones.

Be very careful trying to gap these plugs, when you bend the iridium electrode it can pop off the weld...

Lenny

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Hm, looks like a missed marketing opportunity for them:)

It's mentioned here:

http://www.tempestplus.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Tempest%20Spark%20Plugs%20-%20Where%20its%20made.pdf

and here:

http://www.tempestplus.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Temepst%20OilFilter-SparkPlug%204page.pdf

and here (page 6) they talk about not bending the iridium electrodes:

http://www.tempestplus.com/Portals/0/PDFs/TechTips/Light%20My%20Fire%200813.pdf

Lenny

philperry9 wrote:

Kellym

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Well, in spite of my requesting Tempest plugs, my overhaul shop
installed new Champions. Later, I acquired at low cost 8 champion
iridium plugs. I installed 6 of the iridium as soon as I got them on the
top positions.So I have a mixed bag. I pulled the plugs for my condition
inspection at 90 hours. All looked good. One massive tested high
resistance (about 7.5K) so it was replaced. I have never seen more than
120 rpm drop on runups, mostly 100-110. I have no lead balls at all, no
issues. I will eventually get some Tempest, but I'm not going to go drop
$900 on fine wires that are not needed. I know the resistors in the
Champions are likely to fail before the electrodes do.
I may go to some electronic system for one side eventually, but my
Bendix S-1200 have performed flawlessly.

On 4/9/2017 8:55 AM, Lenny Iszak wrote:
Quote:

I have around 200 hours on the Tempest UREM38S finewire plugs. They always look clean and the engine is idling much smoother. I was concerned at first seeing how those center iridium electrodes were welded in. I was told by Tempest and a bunch of others who were running these for hundreds of hours that they never come apart. Ordered 12 of them. One of them had a really bad weld. Called them up and they overnighted me a new one. Tempest is awesome!

Yes, they are expensive but long therm these are the cheaper ones.

Be very careful trying to gap these plugs, when you bend the iridium electrode it can pop off the weld...

Lenny

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=468191#468191

philperry9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

So I'm guessing they come pre-gapped?

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2017, at 10:39 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)MyRV10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Yes, the fine wire are iridium. Just be careful to never bend the wire, as it is very fine and somewhat fragile. At least that's what tempest says, although I've never had an issue with them.
Tim

On Apr 9, 2017, at 10:27 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
Phil,
Shannon

Quote:

Thanks,
Phil

civengpe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

They do. 

Shannon
On Apr 9, 2017 12:08 PM, "Phillip Perry" <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2017, at 10:39 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)MyRV10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Yes, the fine wire are iridium.  Just be careful to never bend the wire, as it is very fine and somewhat fragile.  At least that's what tempest says, although I've never had an issue with them.
Tim

Quote:
I've checked their site and can't seem to find it mentioned.  You'd think that would be something they'd mention to justify the cost. 

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
Phil,
Shannon

Quote:

Thanks,
Phil

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

That is basically what I found in all of the ones that I have purchased. I did not need to gap them at all as they were already in spec. As Lenny just proved, yes they are iridium for sure. All of the fine wire plugs would be, because the regular steel would erode too quickly.
For all practical purposes, the Arabian plugs will not grown at all. That is why they last so long. The extra open area around the electrode only enhances the ability or the plug to fire the fuel. So that is why people report better performance or better idling.
Tim

On Apr 9, 2017, at 12:03 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Tim

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
Phil,
Shannon

Quote:

Thanks,
Phil

philperry9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Got them ordered and they should be here next week.  I'll tell the kids they're just going to have to work harder in school and get a scholarship.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

That is basically what I found in all of the ones that I have purchased. I did not need to gap them at all as they were already in spec.  As Lenny just proved, yes they are iridium for sure. All of the fine wire plugs would be, because the regular steel  would erode too quickly.
For all practical purposes, the Arabian plugs will not grown at all. That is why they last so long. The extra open area around the electrode only enhances the ability or the plug to fire the fuel.  So that is why people report better performance or better idling.
Tim

On Apr 9, 2017, at 12:03 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Yes, the fine wire are iridium.  Just be careful to never bend the wire, as it is very fine and somewhat fragile.  At least that's what tempest says, although I've never had an issue with them.
Tim

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
Phil,
Shannon

Quote:

Thanks,
Phil

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Wink. Look at it this way, you are protecting your ability to pay for college. Because you will replace spark plugs far less often, and they are less less likely to fail.
These may go to TBO.
Tim

On Apr 9, 2017, at 1:11 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Got them ordered and they should be here next week. I'll tell the kids they're just going to have to work harder in school and get a scholarship.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

That is basically what I found in all of the ones that I have purchased. I did not need to gap them at all as they were already in spec. As Lenny just proved, yes they are iridium for sure. All of the fine wire plugs would be, because the regular steel would erode too quickly.
For all practical purposes, the Arabian plugs will not grown at all. That is why they last so long. The extra open area around the electrode only enhances the ability or the plug to fire the fuel. So that is why people report better performance or better idling.
Tim

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Tim

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
Phil,
Shannon

Quote:

What seems to be the plug of choice? I'd really like to get to an iridium pl8979519211651296671gmail_msg">
Thanks,
Phil

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Spark Plugs Reply with quote

I went through a period of intermittent ignition problems: first on the lightspeed and later on the mag. Major cause of both turned out to be the wires.
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Phillip Perry
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2017 7:52 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Spark Plugs

Thanks,

Phil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: