Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RS-232 GPS Input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Folks,

I am considering an ARTEX ELT 345 which requires a GPS signal to its "Built-in GPS Navigational Interface (NMEA 0183 or RS 232)." If I understand how to do this correctly from a Garmin GNS-430W, I just take the RS-232 signal and a ground and run them to the ELT. Right? 
The last time I did any RS-232 wiring was between DEC VAX computers and VT-100 terminals in the 1980s. Is there anything that I should know with regards to wiring these more modern devices?
Thanks,
    -- Art Z.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Art,
You're pretty much on the money...couple of tricks with the 430W:
The 430W has multiple output ports - if you have one set to "Aviation", you can simply fork that output signal wire.
Make sure that output port on the 430W is set to the correct output type ("Aviation") to match the ARTEX - the default 9600 baud rate should take care of it.
Wiring a different port from the 430W is a PITB unless your panel has real good access. Configure your new port for "Aviation" and you should be good to go.

I just did this to add ADSB and learned the difference between ports and protocols output from the 430W - I needed "ADS-B OUT+" (wasn't in the original manual - found out while troubleshooting with vendor) and had it connected to the "Aviation" port. I needed to run a separate wire just for this!

Good Luck,
Ralph

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Another option is to go to ebay for a $20 gps puck with serial output, & have an independent source.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

Art,
The 430W has multiple output ports - if you have one set to "Aviation", you can simply fork that output signal wire.
Make sure that output port on the 430W is set to the correct output type ("Aviation") to match the ARTEX - the default 9600 baud rate should take care of it.
Wiring a different port from the 430W is a PITB unless your panel has real good access.  Configure your new port for "Aviation" and you should be good to go.

I just did this to add ADSB and learned the difference between ports and protocols output from the 430W - I needed "ADS-B OUT+" (wasn't in the original manual - found out while troubleshooting with vendor) and had it connected to the "Aviation" port.  I needed to run a separate wire just for this!

Good Luck,
Ralph

--

donvansanten(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Another option is to go to ebay for a $20 gps puck with serial output, & have an independent source.

Charlie,

The 2020 rules for ADS-B out require an approved WAAS GPS source. I do not know of ant "puck" GPS that meets this requirement. If you know of one please let me know.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Another option is to go to ebay for a $20 gps puck with serial output, & have an independent source.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

Art,
Wiring a different port from the 430W is a PITB unless your panel has real good access.  Configure your new port for "Aviation" and you should be good to go.

I just did this to add ADSB and learned the difference between ports and protocols output from the 430W - I needed "ADS-B OUT+" (wasn't in the original manual - found out while troubleshooting with vendor) and had it connected to the "Aviation" port.  I needed to run a separate wire just for this!

Good Luck,
Ralph

--

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

1. He was using the GPS for ELT, not ADS-B. Does not need to meet any
approval.
2. The Dynon 2020 GPS puck meets the requirement, but it isn't cheap, at
$590. May not work with other brands.

On 4/12/2017 1:01 PM, don van santen wrote:
[quote] Another option is to go to ebay for a $20 gps puck with serial output, &
have an independent source.

Charlie,
The 2020 rules for ADS-B out require an approved WAAS GPS source. I do
not know of ant "puck" GPS that meets this requirement. If you know of
one please let me know.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com
<mailto:ceengland7(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

Another option is to go to ebay for a $20 gps puck with serial
output, & have an independent source.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Ralph E. Capen
<recapen(at)earthlink.net <mailto:recapen(at)earthlink.net>> wrote:

<recapen(at)earthlink.net <mailto:recapen(at)earthlink.net>>

Art,
The 430W has multiple output ports - if you have one set to
"Aviation", you can simply fork that output signal wire.
Make sure that output port on the 430W is set to the correct
output type ("Aviation") to match the ARTEX - the default 9600
baud rate should take care of it.
Wiring a different port from the 430W is a PITB unless your
panel has real good access. Configure your new port for
"Aviation" and you should be good to go.

I just did this to add ADSB and learned the difference between
ports and protocols output from the 430W - I needed "ADS-B OUT+"
(wasn't in the original manual - found out while troubleshooting
with vendor) and had it connected to the "Aviation" port. I
needed to run a separate wire just for this!

Good Luck,
Ralph

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

This is for an ELT, not ADS-B.

On Apr 12, 2017, at 3:01 PM, don van santen <donvansanten(at)gmail.com (donvansanten(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Another option is to go to ebay for a $20 gps puck with serial output, & have an independent source.

Charlie,

The 2020 rules for ADS-B out require an approved WAAS GPS source. I do not know of ant "puck" GPS that meets this requirement. If you know of one please let me know.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Art,
Wiring a different port from the 430W is a PITB unless your panel has real good access. Configure your new port for "Aviation" and you should be good to go.

I just did this to add ADSB and learned the difference between ports and protocols output from the 430W - I needed "ADS-B OUT+" (wasn't in the original manual - found out while troubleshooting with vendor) and had it connected to the "Aviation" port. I needed to run a separate wire just for this!

Good Luck,
Ralph

--

ARGOLDMAN(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

The new Dynon GPS antenna/device is approved it may only talk to dynon, however.
Rich

In a message dated 4/12/2017 3:44:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time, Tim(at)MyRV10.com writes:
[quote]

On Apr 12, 2017, at 3:01 PM, don van santen <donvansanten(at)gmail.com (donvansanten(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Another option is to go to ebay for a $20 gps puck with serial output, & have an independent source.

Charlie,

[quote] Another option is to go to ebay for a $20 gps puck with serial output, & have an independent source.

Art,

Good Luck,
Ralph

--

donvansanten(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Sorry. I guess I need to get my eyes checked. DDon
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
[quote]

Charlie,

Art,

Good Luck,
Ralph

--

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Ralph,

Thanks for confirming. I do intend to feed both the ADS-B and the ELT from the 430W. I read of lots of people just splitting the signal to feed two devices, which seems odd to me but then this is one-way communication so I guess it ought to work. And I will check my ADS-B documentation carefully to be sure that I get the right signal from the 430W.
So... just a single twisted pair for these RS-232 devices? I don't need any of the other pins besides + and - ???
Should I shield it and, if so, where do I ground the shield?
    -- Art Z.

Art,

Good Luck,
Ralph

--

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Art,

I may not have been clear enough...

Quote:
From my reading of the ARTEX ELT manual, it needs "Aviation" from the 430W. It looks like you can use a single pin shielded wire (grounded at the 430W end) for the TX (at the 430W end) to the RX (at the ARTEX end - pin 9). If you have something else that already uses "Aviation", you can do a take-off from that port/wire - otherwise, see the next paragraph.

Depending on the ADSB box, it will most likely need "ADS-B OUT+" from the 430W - mine did. This required me to use a different port on the 430W for the ADSB box. I used a single pin shielded wire (grounded at the 430W end) for the TX (at the 430W end) to the RX (at the ADSB end) for mine. It was a different port!

I have already 'wasted' the troubleshooting hours figuring out why it wasn't working (install manual didn't call out "ADS-B OUT+" - I had to get that from tech support after I had already wired it the other way.

I've got a picture of the 430W config if you want it - let me know and I'll send it direct!

Hope this clears the mud I stirred up!

Ralph
--

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

That clears it up. Thank you, Ralph. When I get to actually making wires, I'll be back in touch if I am confused.

-- Art Z.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:

Art,

>From my reading of the ARTEX ELT manual, it needs "Aviation" from the 430W.  It looks like you can use a single pin shielded wire (grounded at the 430W end) for the TX (at the 430W end) to the RX (at the ARTEX end - pin 9).  If you have something else that already uses "Aviation", you can do a take-off from that port/wire - otherwise, see the next paragraph.

Depending on the ADSB box, it will most likely need "ADS-B OUT+" from the 430W - mine did.  This required me to use a different port on the 430W for the ADSB box.  I used a single pin shielded wire (grounded at the 430W end) for the TX (at the 430W end) to the RX (at the ADSB end) for mine.  It was a different port!

I have already 'wasted' the troubleshooting hours figuring out why it wasn't working (install manual didn't call out "ADS-B OUT+" - I had to get that from tech support after I had already wired it the other way.

I've got a picture of the 430W config if you want it - let me know and I'll send it direct!

Ralph

--

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Happy to help!
--

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

It might be worth mentioning that the electrons have to get back home, even if it's only signal data. If you float the shield on one end, then the return path is the airframe. *If* it's a metal airplane, and both of the devices are grounded to the airframe.

So that idea may work fine in an aluminum or steel tube a/c, but in a Velocity/Lancair/etc, not so much. And even in a metal a/c, it *could* leave the signal vulnerable to noise on the ground side of the circuit.

There's a lot of myth & metaphysics parading as universal truth around shields and grounding. (Pardon the pun...)

Charlie

On 4/12/2017 6:19 PM, Art Zemon wrote:

[quote] That clears it up. Thank you, Ralph. When I get to actually making wires, I'll be back in touch if I am confused.

-- Art Z.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:

Art,

>From my reading of the ARTEX ELT manual, it needs "Aviation" from the 430W.  It looks like you can use a single pin shielded wire (grounded at the 430W end) for the TX (at the 430W end) to the RX (at the ARTEX end - pin 9).  If you have something else that already uses "Aviation", you can do a take-off from that port/wire - otherwise, see the next paragraph.

Depending on the ADSB box, it will most likely need "ADS-B OUT+" from the 430W - mine did.  This required me to use a different port on the 430W for the ADSB box.  I used a single pin shielded wire (grounded at the 430W end) for the TX (at the 430W end) to the RX (at the ADSB end) for mine.  It was a different port!

Ralph

--

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: RS-232 GPS Input Reply with quote

Good point - I was only considering a metal frame! If bonding is a part of the builder scenario, the return path becomes an actual requirement - which can be satisfied in a number of ways!

The documents for the ARTEX make a similar consideration as well.....

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: