Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seat Upholstery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfritz(at)bpgsim.com

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Seat Upholstery Reply with quote

I don't ever remember seeing a discussion on upholstery. What are the
pros and cons of fabric vs. leather? I hope I don't start and
upholstery war. Smile

Dave Fritzsche

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Seat Upholstery Reply with quote

Pros and cons either way.

I owned one car with leather and swore I'd never do that again. I got cloth seats from DJ at Cleaveland Tool. The RV-8A seats are 15 years old and look like the day I put them in. The RV-10 seats (also cloth from DJ) are now 5 years old and still look new.

So - decide what you want under your butt and build on.

Carl

Quote:
On May 1, 2017, at 6:56 PM, David J. Fritzsche <dfritz(at)bpgsim.com> wrote:

I don't ever remember seeing a discussion on upholstery. What are the pros and cons of fabric vs. leather? I hope I don't start and upholstery war. Smile

Dave Fritzsche

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

philperry9

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Seat Upholstery Reply with quote

I've never met a man who said, "My airplane is too light!" I weighed mine and it slunk down in my chair.

That being said, I'm going to press on with leather but modifying my plans a bit. I was planning on covering the baggage bulkhead with leather, now I'm not.

My rear seat is a bench and it's heavy! It's designed to be a 60/40 split and I've secured it together as a single bench.

Now I'm going to undo that 100% bench in favor of 60/40, so I can occasionally save weight by keeping one seat in and pulling the other if needed. The 60 and 40 will be covered in leather eventually. (Right now they just have a throw cover in them until I can start the upholstery phase full/on.)

However I still have materials for Vans stock rear seats standing in a corner. I'm going to go ahead and build them with minimal foam and fabric. They will be my ultra light weight rear seats.

Every seat I have has confor foam. Looking back on it, I wish I hadn't used it exclusively and used other lighter foams with it. (I still might). It's comfortable and heavy!

I think there is more to be gained in thinking through the foam than thinking through the covering material. You can very quickly drop 3-5 lbs per seat by being smart with your foam selection and that opens the door to being able to use leather with a tad-less guilt.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 1, 2017, at 5:56 PM, David J. Fritzsche <dfritz(at)bpgsim.com> wrote:

I don't ever remember seeing a discussion on upholstery. What are the pros and cons of fabric vs. leather? I hope I don't start and upholstery war. Smile

Dave Fritzsche

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Seat Upholstery Reply with quote

I'm the opposite. I had only had cloth seats and sofas for my whole life. I figured that's what I wanted when doing my -10. Then I got a truck and a car with leather and a couch with leather, and after that I decided I think I'm for leather forever. My -10 seats are vinyl with cloth centers, my RV14 seats are all leather. I prefer the leather now.
That said, when you fly an RV10 you will end up happy no matter what because hey, you're flying an RV10.
So I would just pick whatever your gut tells you and move on. Both of mine are from Flightline interiors and holding up great.
Tim

Quote:
On May 1, 2017, at 6:15 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Pros and cons either way.

I owned one car with leather and swore I'd never do that again. I got cloth seats from DJ at Cleaveland Tool. The RV-8A seats are 15 years old and look like the day I put them in. The RV-10 seats (also cloth from DJ) are now 5 years old and still look new.

So - decide what you want under your butt and build on.

Carl

> On May 1, 2017, at 6:56 PM, David J. Fritzsche <dfritz(at)bpgsim.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I don't ever remember seeing a discussion on upholstery. What are the pros and cons of fabric vs. leather? I hope I don't start and upholstery war. Smile
>
> Dave Fritzsche
>
>
>
>
>

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Seat Upholstery Reply with quote

I don't think seat weight is a big deal. Is your plane really going to
be significantly faster or climb better if it weighs 1590 vs 1640? Only
if your butt comes in at 160-170. As well as all your pax and you don't
carry baggage. Your typical useful load is going to be between 1050 and
1100 unless you really load up on accessories. Minus 360 for full fuel
gives you around 710-760 for bodies, souls and baggage. So either fuel
or baggage has to give to stay within 2700 at 4 FAA SOB. For extra
performance you need at least one of the rear seats empty, and the front
seat occupants to total well under 400. Of course you can certify it
with higher gross wt. but that also cuts into performance. But expecting
that saving 30-50 lbs in the airframe is going to do much if you are
loading up near gross anyway....whatever is left, the family will
consume whatever you saved. If you use it as a 2 place plane, the weight
won't matter.

On 5/1/2017 4:36 PM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:

I'm the opposite. I had only had cloth seats and sofas for my whole life. I figured that's what I wanted when doing my -10. Then I got a truck and a car with leather and a couch with leather, and after that I decided I think I'm for leather forever. My -10 seats are vinyl with cloth centers, my RV14 seats are all leather. I prefer the leather now.
That said, when you fly an RV10 you will end up happy no matter what because hey, you're flying an RV10.
So I would just pick whatever your gut tells you and move on. Both of mine are from Flightline interiors and holding up great.
Tim

> On May 1, 2017, at 6:15 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> Pros and cons either way.
>
> I owned one car with leather and swore I'd never do that again. I got cloth seats from DJ at Cleaveland Tool. The RV-8A seats are 15 years old and look like the day I put them in. The RV-10 seats (also cloth from DJ) are now 5 years old and still look new.
>
> So - decide what you want under your butt and build on.
>
> Carl
>
>> On May 1, 2017, at 6:56 PM, David J. Fritzsche <dfritz(at)bpgsim.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> I don't ever remember seeing a discussion on upholstery. What are the pros and cons of fabric vs. leather? I hope I don't start and upholstery war. Smile
>>
>> Dave Fritzsche
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Upholstery Reply with quote

I suggested cloth; the boss said leather. We have leather. I think either choice would be fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: