Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N17VF Flys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: N17VF Flys Reply with quote

After a long, almost 8 year build, I finally took flight!!  

My first flight was actually on May 1st, but it has been an adventurous month trying to chase down issues.
As some of you recall, around the end of April I was having trouble with my Dynon EMS with getting the RPM dialed in correctly.  After I configured the EMS with the correct P-Lead frequency, everything seemed ok.  Or so I thought.
I took off from T56 early on 5/1, a calm, cool, beautiful day.  She leaped off the ground so fast, it was as if she was waiting for this day as much as me.  I left DFW Class B as quickly as possible and scooted south, climbing to around 6,000.  Of course breaking in the engine, I was full open.  The whole time during the climb, I was watching EGT and CHT like a hawk.  Every EGT report 325, every CHT reported 450, Oil Temp about 180.  At this point, I figured I was a baffle god.  After the temperatures stayed exactly the same once I hit cruise, my baffle achievement theory started to fade.  I figured I had something wrong.  All of a sudden, the EMS goes offline.  Dynon keeps running, but I get some big red X's across the screen where the engine display is.  Welp, time to put her down.
Send the EMS back to Dynon, a week later they send me a new one.  They have no idea what happened it was just fried.
Put it immediately into the plane , and switch over to the input sensor debug screen in Dynon.  I start running through everything I have direct control over that is feeding the EMS.  Volts, Flaps, Rudder Trim, Aileron Trim, Elevator Trim....  When I pushed the elevator trim everything sensor just starts going crazy on the EMS debug screen.  What is going on???  So starts the elevator trim debug adventure...
I swap out the elevator trim for the aileron trim, flip on master, and switch to the debug screen.  I hit elevator up and pop, EMS goes offline. DAMNIT!  Blew another EMS.
A couple of conclusions come out of this.
1) The trim motor is fine, there is no way that both elevator and aileron are both bad motors.
2) This must be a wiring issue, somewhere between nose and toes I have a bad elevator trim wire
Proceed to send it back to Dynon, Dynon not to happy with me at this point.  Not covered under warranty, but only $100 to fix it.  So not to bad.

I pull out the continuity meter, start looking at each wire in the bundle.  Each wire is solid and shows continuity all the way through.  WTF!  I am confused at this point, and call it a day.  I go out the next day, pull out the meter again, and by accident I touch green on one side and orange on the other, continuity.  I touch a motor wire, continuity.  At this point I am starting to see what is going on, there is a short in the line somewhere.  I have wires touching in inappropriate ways.  It was both a relief and rage at the same time, a difficult emotion to describe.  For one, I was upset that something so simple could cause so many problems, and the other, I knew how much of a pain in the ass this was going to be to try and figure out where the wire was bad.
I decided to just replace the whole wire, and not try to chase down where the actual short was.  
I got the wire out, and there was no visible damage anywhere.  It looked as clean as the day I pulled it out of the Ray Allen box.
Once I got the new wire run, I was bound and determined to figure out where the old wire was bad.  
So I took the divide and conquer approach, cutting it in half and testing each half for the bad half.  Doing this until I got to about a foot of bad wire left.  Then proceeded to strip that bad foot of wire.  I must have pinched this section of wire at some point, because the internal individual wires had visible damage and exposed copper that was touching each other.  It was so small, that if I hadn't been looking for this, I never would have even seen it as a problem.
I got the new EMS in, check the sensors, everything looks good, and decide to go for a flight this weekend.  Finally, good reading!  Nothing burned up in flight!  
Been flying ever since Smile

Some initial comments on the plane:
  1. She is fast, faster than I thought she would be.  Granted I am running full throttle right now to break it in.  Cruising straight and level I am hitting over 200 mph TAS.
  2. The left wing is heavy, I have used all right trim I have and the left wing still drops, anyone seen this?
  3. Cylinder #1 was hitting 450 while #2 was hitting 425, so I removed the dam on #1.  All cylinders are under 400 now, I am very happy with this.
  4. The temperatures seem to be best when climbing out at 140 mph, which still gives me around 1200 - 1500 fpm

This is truly an amazing plane, and it has been an amazing journey to get here.
Not sure I would do it again... Although, I do have all of these tools now, that would just go to waste if I didn't Smile

[img]cid:ii_15c42a09ed905db7[/img]

--
Vernon Franklin

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.5 MB
 Viewed:  2883 Time(s)

image.png

bill.peyton

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: N17VF Flys Reply with quote

Great job on the debugging effort! Congratulations on the first flight!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: N17VF Flys Reply with quote

Great effort Vernon
Congratulations from downunder on your first flight, I hope to be there soon!
Wishing you great enjoyment and safe skies always my friend.

Warm regards

Patrick Pulis
Adelaide, South Australia
On 26 May 2017, at 12:12, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
After a long, almost 8 year build, I finally took flight!!

My first flight was actually on May 1st, but it has been an adventurous month trying to chase down issues.
As some of you recall, around the end of April I was having trouble with my Dynon EMS with getting the RPM dialed in correctly.  After I configured the EMS with the correct P-Lead frequency, everything seemed ok. Or so I thought.
I took off from T56 early on 5/1, a calm, cool, beautiful day. She leaped off the ground so fast, it was as if she was waiting for this day as much as me. I left DFW Class B as quickly as possible and scooted south, climbing to around 6,000. Of course breaking in the engine, I was full open. The whole time during the climb, I was watching EGT and CHT like a hawk.  Every EGT report 325, every CHT reported 450, Oil Temp about 180. At this point, I figured I was a baffle god. After the temperatures stayed exactly the same once I hit cruise, my baffle achievement theory started to fade. I figured I had something wrong. All of a sudden, the EMS goes offline. Dynon keeps running, but I get some big red X's across the screen where the engine display is. Welp, time to put her down.
Send the EMS back to Dynon, a week later they send me a new one. They have no idea what happened it was just fried.
Put it immediately into the plane , and switch over to the input sensor debug screen in Dynon. I start running through everything I have direct control over that is feeding the EMS. Volts, Flaps, Rudder Trim, Aileron Trim, Elevator Trim.... When I pushed the elevator trim everything sensor just starts going crazy on the EMS debug screen. What is going on??? So starts the elevator trim debug adventure..
I swap out the elevator trim for the aileron trim, flip on master, and switch to the debug screen. I hit elevator up and pop, EMS goes offline. DAMNIT! Blew another EMS.
A couple of conclusions come out of this.
1) The trim motor is fine, there is no way that both elevator and aileron are both bad motors.
2) This must be a wiring issue, somewhere between nose and toes I have a bad elevator trim wire
Proceed to send it back to Dynon, Dynon not to happy with me at this point. Not covered under warranty, but only $100 to fix it. So not to bad.

I pull out the continuity meter, start looking at each wire in the bundle. Each wire is solid and shows continuity all the way through. WTF! I am confused at this point, and call it a day. I go out the next day, pull out the meter again, and by accident I touch green on one side and orange on the other, continuity. I touch a motor wire, continuity. At this point I am starting to see what is going on, there is a short in the line somewhere. I have wires touching in inappropriate ways. It was both a relief and rage at the same time, a difficult emotion to describe. For one, I was upset that something so simple could cause so many problems, and the other, I knew how much of a pain in the ass this was going to be to try and figure out where the wire was bad.
I decided to just replace the whole wire, and not try to chase down where the actual short was.
I got the wire out, and there was no visible damage anywhere. It looked as clean as the day I pulled it out of the Ray Allen box.
Once I got the new wire run, I was bound and determined to figure out where the old wire was bad.
So I took the divide and conquer approach, cutting it in half and testing each half for the bad half. Doing this until I got to about a foot of bad wire left. Then proceeded to strip that bad foot of wire. I must have pinched this section of wire at some point, because the internal individual wires had visible damage and exposed copper that was touching each other. It was so small, that if I hadn't been looking for this, I never would have even seen it as a problem.
I got the new EMS in, check the sensors, everything looks good, and decide to go for a flight this weekend. Finally, good reading!  Nothing burned up in flight!
Been flying ever since Smile

Some initial comments on the plane:
  1. She is fast, faster than I thought she would be. Granted I am running full throttle right now to break it in. Cruising straight and level I am hitting over 200 mph TAS.
  2. The left wing is heavy, I have used all right trim I have and the left wing still drops, anyone seen this?
  3. Cylinder #1 was hitting 450 while #2 was hitting 425, so I removed the dam on #1. All cylinders are under 400 now, I am very happy with this.
  4. The temperatures seem to be best when climbing out at 140 mph, which still gives me around 1200 - 1500 fpm

This is truly an amazing plane, and it has been an amazing journey to get here.
Not sure I would do it again... Although, I do have all of these tools now, that would just go to waste if I didn't Smile

<image.png>

--
Vernon Franklin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: