Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eclipse travel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan(at)syz.com

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Eclipse travel Reply with quote

Hey everyone.

I've recently completed my RV-10 (I'm located just north of Edmonton, Alberta), and have just finished the required 25 hour fly-off period so my passenger-carrying restrictions and requirement to stay within 25 miles of my home base are removed. And it's about time - that plane sure seems designed to go places!

One of the trips my family is planning in the short term is to head down to the US to see the solar eclipse on August 21st. One of the big benefits (hopefully) of flying down is to be able to relocate relatively quickly if the weather isn't panning out for wherever we are.

Does anyone have any advice on where to stay the night before with regards to accommodating airports? Here on the west side of the continent, the eclipse track passes through north Oregon, Idaho, central Wyoming and Nebraska with best long range weather forecasts at the moment in the east Oregon/west Idaho areas. Thanks to the RV-10, we could be a few hundred miles away from the centreline of the eclipse. Our needs are relatively few - just the ability to pitch a tent somewhere with preferably a bathroom nearby Smile

So I'm looking for advice on any airports you may be familiar with that would allow "under the wing" camping, or perhaps camping (even informally) nearby.

Thanks! And maybe this will be the chance to meet some other RV owners out there!

Dan
---
Dan Charrois
President, Syzygy Research & Technology
Phone: 780-961-2213

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse travel Reply with quote

Are you ready for price shock? If you can stay some distance away, get up early (eclipse starts around 9 am in OR, total near 10:20 PDT), you may find cheaper lodging. I've reserved a tent site (just a place in a field next to the airport, water, port-a-potty, no showers) for $165 (one night or a week, same price) adjacent to the John Day, OR runway. Last time I checked tent and RV sites were still available. I also reserved a tie down space ($100). This is critical, as they only have a dozen or so. I do not know if any are left. Airport manager told me that due to their aerial fire-fighting contract they may not block any runways or taxiways; no aircraft will be allowed to land without a tie down reservation. John Day historically has good weather; is close to the eclipse centerline.
Good luck with your search. One option, of course, is to view from the air. But IMHO that is not as good as ground viewing. For one thing, if you're looking at the eclipse, who's watching for the other airplanes?

BTW, I believe one reason that this will be a spectacular eclipse is that the moon will be near syzygy!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bigginsking

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Eclipse travel Reply with quote

My wife and I are planning on staying around Boise and then flying up to Stanlely Idaho to see the eclipse, it's at 11:30 AM, so that leaves plenty of time to get up and get there before the main event.
Stanley is also a nice open valley so there aren't any issues with the sun being blocked.
Bill
N84WJ, RV-8, 1275 hrs.
rv-8.blogspot.com

nukeflyboy

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse travel Reply with quote

You need to check out Johnson Creek, 3U2, near Yellowpine, ID. One of the nicest grass runways around with free camping next to your plane, it is a great place to visit. The only challenge is that it lies in a north-south running valley and I am unsure of the orientation relative to the eclipse.

Another consideration is Smiley Creek, U87, another free campsite. It is more open and near the headwaters of the Snake River.

Both of these sites, and there are others, are courtesy of the Idaho Dept. of Aeronautics.

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse travel Reply with quote

Update to my post, above. Grant County airport (John Day, OR) has sold out all its parking spaces. The airport will be closed around the eclipse to all but those with a reserved tie down spot.

dmasys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Eclipse travel Reply with quote

Yet another reason that some of us who live within an hour or so of RV-10 flying time from the path of totality are planning to lift off about 1.5 hrs before the event and loiter on the totality centerline at 13.5k or 15.5k for the event. Unless there is one of those pesky 25,000 ft. overcasts in which case we save the fuel bucks and watch it on TV.

Good to have ADS-B out and in installed; expecting a lot of traffic on the display that day, but hopefully not too much in the mid-teen altitudes.

-Dan Masys
Sequim, WA

Quote:
Time: 02:22:20 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Eclipse travel
Update to my post, above. Grant County airport (John Day, OR) has sold out all
its parking spaces. The airport will be closed around the eclipse to all but those
with a reserved tie down spot.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: