Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wrong rivets used

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nealtrombley

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: wrong rivets used Reply with quote

I am building my 9a HS and somehow used 426AD3 3.5 ( skin to ribs)
than 426ad3- 4 (skin to spar )

I only did the left skin before noticing and I bucked riveted this thing fairly well..
they look great, but you can see on the right side with the correct rivet has more meat to it>>

should I start drilling?

Neal Trombley
4520 Randag Dr
North Fort Myers, Fl 33903
Office 239-995-0683
Cell 239-281-6325
Fax 239-995-0753
neal(at)gulfatl.net
www.gulfatl.net

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List

neil(at)rosoff.com

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: wrong rivets used Reply with quote

Get yourself a rivet Guage. If they are close don't worry about it. Vans rivet pitch is over twice what is needed. If they are to far out of guage, than I would replace them.

Neil Rosoff

On May 9, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Neal Trombley <neal(at)gulfatl.net (neal(at)gulfatl.net)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I am building my 9a HS and somehow used 426AD3 3.5 ( skin to ribs)
than 426ad3- 4 (skin to spar )

I only did the left skin before noticing and I bucked riveted this thing fairly well..
they look great, but you can see on the right side with the correct rivet has more meat to it>>

should I start drilling?

Neal Trombley
4520 Randag Dr
North Fort Myers, Fl 33903
Office 239-995-0683
Cell 239-281-6325
Fax 239-995-0753
neal(at)gulfatl.net (neal(at)gulfatl.net)
www.gulfatl.net

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gbrasch

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: wrong rivets used Reply with quote

I agree, but a picture would help.

Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" Website www.airportcourtesycars.com
nealtrombley

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: wrong rivets used Reply with quote

image2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  971.5 KB
 Viewed:  10081 Time(s)

image2.JPG

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  912.23 KB

image1.JPG

ATT00001.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ATT00001.txt
 Filesize:  1.69 KB
 Downloaded:  521 Time(s)

nealtrombley

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: wrong rivets used Reply with quote

Correct rivet used here

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  984.96 KB

image1.JPG

ATT00001.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ATT00001.txt
 Filesize:  1.69 KB
 Downloaded:  516 Time(s)

neil(at)rosoff.com

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: wrong rivets used Reply with quote

Some (not all) look over driven, or they were to short. The Gauge should be your guide. Three helpful tips for you. Center punch rivets you drill out, this will prevent the bit from wandering and damaging the skin. Use a bit that is 1 or 2 sizes smaller that than the rivet diameter (i.e. Drill out #40s with #41 or #42), this will help with not over enlarging the hole. If you are riveting an area you are having seeing the shop head, press you finger hard on shop head and look at the indentation, not an exact gauge, that is how many old timers do it.

From: owner-rv9-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv9-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Neal Trombley
Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 1:19 PM
To: rv9-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: wrong rivets used

nealtrombley

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: wrong rivets used Reply with quote

Thank you 
I changed quite a few that were not measuring up. 

Neal Trombley  239-281-6325 

On May 9, 2017, at 8:42 PM, Neil Rosoff <neil(at)rosoff.com (neil(at)rosoff.com)> wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Some (not all) look over driven, or they were to short.  The Gauge should be your guide.  Three helpful tips for you.  Center punch rivets you drill out, this will prevent the bit from wandering and damaging the skin.  Use a bit that is 1 or 2 sizes smaller that than the rivet diameter (i.e.  Drill out #40s with #41 or #42), this will help with not over enlarging the hole.  If you are riveting an area you are having seeing the shop head, press you finger hard on shop head and look at the indentation, not an exact gauge, that is how many old timers do it.

From: owner-rv9-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv9-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv9-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv9-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Neal Trombley
Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 1:19 PM
To: rv9-list(at)matronics.com (rv9-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: RV9-List: Re: wrong rivets used

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: