Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stall Warning at Rotate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

I've got about 5 flights under my belt now and I've discovered a personality trend in the new airplane.   Does anyone else get a beep from the stall warning horn at the moment of rotation?  

I've been rotating at 65 KIAS and the airplane has plenty of authority and is climbing out like a bull frog thrown in a pot of hot water.   But the second the nose comes up to break ground, I get a brief beep from the stall warning horn and then it goes back down and does it's job as it should.
This last time out, in an attempt to see if I really was close to stalling, I rotated at 70 KIAS.  Exactly the same story.
I'm just curious to know if others have seen, or are seeing and living with, the same behavior.   And what they might have been discovered that's causing it?   Perhaps shaving it down more or bending it differently or who knows what.
Just curious what you've experienced with it.
Phil

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for you but you are referring to the vane/tab/switch that is part of the kit, correct?

Tim
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, at 10:02 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I've got about 5 flights under my belt now and I've discovered a personality trend in the new airplane. Does anyone else get a beep from the stall warning horn at the moment of rotation?

I've been rotating at 65 KIAS and the airplane has plenty of authority and is climbing out like a bull frog thrown in a pot of hot water. But the second the nose comes up to break ground, I get a brief beep from the stall warning horn and then it goes back down and does it's job as it should.

This last time out, in an attempt to see if I really was close to stalling, I rotated at 70 KIAS. Exactly the same story.

I'm just curious to know if others have seen, or are seeing and living with, the same behavior. And what they might have been discovered that's causing it? Perhaps shaving it down more or bending it differently or who knows what.

Phil

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

I don't remember if the plans called for slotting the mounting of the vane. On all production planes with that type of vane, the screws allow adjustment of the vane up or down, which changes at what speed  the vane activates.

You didn't say what amount of flaps you are using, -3, 0 or 15 for takeoff..which will significantly change stall speed.

I used to have my AOA squawk occasionally on rotation. I think I just increased rotation to 65-70. I use 15 degrees flaps for most takeoffs. I enjoy the elevator ride up for the first 500 ft until I get flaps retracted.

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I've got about 5 flights under my belt now and I've discovered a personality trend in the new airplane.   Does anyone else get a beep from the stall warning horn at the moment of rotation?  

I've been rotating at 65 KIAS and the airplane has plenty of authority and is climbing out like a bull frog thrown in a pot of hot water.   But the second the nose comes up to break ground, I get a brief beep from the stall warning horn and then it goes back down and does it's job as it should.
This last time out, in an attempt to see if I really was close to stalling, I rotated at 70 KIAS.  Exactly the same story.
I'm just curious to know if others have seen, or are seeing and living with, the same behavior.   And what they might have been discovered that's causing it?   Perhaps shaving it down more or bending it differently or who knows what.
Phil

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

What does it do at altitude, slow flight? At what indicated airspeed does it stall (takeoff configuration)? Any superfluous beeps?

rv10(at)texasrv10.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

Same here Phil. I found not being as aggressive at first would help. At some point my kids decided to play with it, luckily if have an AOA but the occurrences did drop. Also if you start riding on the mains with the nose gear off the ground slightly on t/o you won't get the horn as it will lift off when ready.
My 2 cents.

Gaylon Koenning
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2017, at 00:49, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

What does it do at altitude, slow flight? At what indicated airspeed does it stall (takeoff configuration)? Any superfluous beeps?

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=469956#469956

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

No I have not experienced that, not even doing soft field takeoffs (practice, don’t fly in and out of soft fields).

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 9:44 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Stall Warning at Rotate?

I don't remember if the plans called for slotting the mounting of the vane. On all production planes with that type of vane, the screws allow adjustment of the vane up or down, which changes at what speed the vane activates.

You didn't say what amount of flaps you are using, -3, 0 or 15 for takeoff..which will significantly change stall speed.

I used to have my AOA squawk occasionally on rotation. I think I just increased rotation to 65-70. I use 15 degrees flaps for most takeoffs. I enjoy the elevator ride up for the first 500 ft until I get flaps retracted.
-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I've got about 5 flights under my belt now and I've discovered a personality trend in the new airplane. Does anyone else get a beep from the stall warning horn at the moment of rotation?

I've been rotating at 65 KIAS and the airplane has plenty of authority and is climbing out like a bull frog thrown in a pot of hot water. But the second the nose comes up to break ground, I get a brief beep from the stall warning horn and then it goes back down and does it's job as it should.

This last time out, in an attempt to see if I really was close to stalling, I rotated at 70 KIAS. Exactly the same story.

I'm just curious to know if others have seen, or are seeing and living with, the same behavior. And what they might have been discovered that's causing it? Perhaps shaving it down more or bending it differently or who knows what.

Phil

rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

I think your initial rotation is at a higher angle of attack than any other time in your flight.
Bending it more would change something, so start with that. That is how I got mine to beep at the right speed.

Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, at 8:06 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Phil

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

Armchair quarterback here .....
My analysis of the original post is that at rotation the aircraft is
still moving parallel to the runway and at a high angle of attack .....
hence the beep which is short because the relative wind changes.

I've become used to aircraft that gives you two warnings before the
stall, the first is a change in noise as the wing skins suffer from the
detaching laminar flow and then the stall warning prior to a true stall.

The vane on Van's stall switch is easily bent, either up or down, and
I've had to reposition mine because it's been bumped during building. I
wasn't going to install the switch but then what do you do with the hole
in the leading edge? So it's there and is wired. That may change if I
find it's useless to me.

So, go gather some stall speed data and tweak the vane. Up to blow the
horn at a lower airspeed, down for higher (I think) Wink.
Linn

On 6/11/2017 12:58 PM, P Reid wrote:
Quote:

I think your initial rotation is at a higher angle of attack than any other time in your flight.
Bending it more would change something, so start with that. That is how I got mine to beep at the right speed.

> On Jun 10, 2017, at 8:06 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've got about 5 flights under my belt now and I've discovered a personality trend in the new airplane. Does anyone else get a beep from the stall warning horn at the moment of rotation?
>
> I've been rotating at 65 KIAS and the airplane has plenty of authority and is climbing out like a bull frog thrown in a pot of hot water. But the second the nose comes up to break ground, I get a brief beep from the stall warning horn and then it goes back down and does it's job as it should.
>
> This last time out, in an attempt to see if I really was close to stalling, I rotated at 70 KIAS. Exactly the same story.
>
> I'm just curious to know if others have seen, or are seeing and living with, the same behavior. And what they might have been discovered that's causing it? Perhaps shaving it down more or bending it differently or who knows what.
>
> Just curious what you've experienced with it.
>
> Phil
>

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

philperry9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Stall Warning at Rotate? Reply with quote

I was going to fly it again this afternoon but the winds are a little more than I want to take on this early in Phase 1.  Maybe this evening.

The configuration is Flaps 0.
The technique has been to roll down the run way until 65 KIAS and then ease back to fly.
The aircraft is nowhere near stalling, despite the brief beep of the horn.
To this point, I've only stalled it in the full-flaps position.  Stalls at 55 and the horn begins about 60.   I'll have to try it again in a Flaps 0 position.  But I haven't wanted to spend a lot of time at low power settings unless its absolutely necessary until the engine gets further into the break-in process.
The stall warning horn does appear to be perfect for full flaps though.  When landing with flaps 30, just as I pull the nose up to really get into the flare, it blows and then the wheels squeak in.  It doesn't mean it can't be tweaked more though.
My thought is that, as pressure built under the wing with airspeed (IE: ground effect) that the bubble was sucked up around the leading edge briefly as the angle increased and the stall warning vane was just in the way.  But then again, there's no buffet, it's solid.

Next step is to try the recommended technique of full aft, ride the mains as long as possible, and then let it fly off.   I'll follow that with stall test later on in in the T/O configuration.
Thanks for the advice.  There's a few things here I can improve on with technique and also a few test I can perform on the plane.
Hoping to go again this evening if the winds settle down a bit more.
Phil

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>

Armchair quarterback here .....
My analysis of the original post is that at rotation the aircraft is still moving parallel to the runway and at a high angle of attack ..... hence the beep which is short because the relative wind changes.

I've become used to aircraft that gives you two warnings before the stall, the first is a change in noise as the wing skins suffer from the detaching laminar flow and then the stall warning prior to a true stall.

The vane on Van's stall switch is easily bent, either up or down, and I've had to reposition mine because it's been bumped during building.  I wasn't going to install the switch but then what do you do with the hole in the leading edge? So it's there and is wired.  That may change if I find it's useless to me.

So, go gather some stall speed data and tweak the vane.  Up to blow the horn at a lower airspeed, down for higher (I think) Wink.
Linn

On 6/11/2017 12:58 PM, P Reid wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: P Reid <rv10flyer(at)live.com (rv10flyer(at)live.com)>

Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, at 8:06 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

I've got about 5 flights under my belt now and I've discovered a personality trend in the new airplane.   Does anyone else get a beep from the stall warning horn at the moment of rotation?

I've been rotating at 65 KIAS and the airplane has plenty of authority and is climbing out like a bull frog thrown in a pot of hot water.   But the second the nose comes up to break ground, I get a brief beep from the stall warning horn and then it goes back down and does it's job as it should.

I'm just curious to know if others have seen, or are seeing and living with, the same behavior.   And what they might have been discovered that's causing it?   Perhaps shaving it down more or bending it differently or who knows what.

Phil

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: