Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clasic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clasic Reply with quote

In my very limited experience with this particular aircraft, the issue of it being "out of trim" or "out of rig" is the lesser of the problems.

An aircraft with adequate primary control authority can be flown, tested, trim-tabbed, adjusted, bent, hammered, shimmed, tweaked, and "figured out" until it flies correctly. Like a car that "pulls" to one side, it may be somewhat annoying to drive but it is not unsafe.

An aircraft that does not have sufficient primary control authority to adequately overcome the other (relatively minor) issues cannot or should not be operated until the source of the control problem can be identified and corrected. Essentially I believe you have to be able to maneuver the aircraft safely and with authority first, then you can start making it fly easier, better, straighter, etc.

It is my strongest possible recommendation that no further test flying be performed until the cause of the major control difficulties (excess stick force required, insufficient roll authority in one direction) can be resolved. My recommendation is to perform what the FAA calls "proof of control" testing as part of this. Once the cause of the friction and poor cont6rol response is addressed, it is my further recommendation that initial flight testing be performed at another location where the physical environment and local restrictions do not create a serious safety hazard as they did on the flights I was involved with two weeks ago.

Only after the source of the control issue has been identified, resolved, and the results have been validated (demonstration of full three-axis control response and authority) do I believe that "normal" flight operations can resume at the aircraft's home base of Camarillo UL strip.

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 6/12/17, Rick Neilsen <neilsenrm(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clasic
To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Monday, June 12, 2017, 2:11 PM

A Kolb with lots of power does take
a bit of rudder to keep it flying straight. Most people add
a trim tab to reduce the effect.
A Kolb that wants to roll right or
left is a plane that isn't rigged right. The common
cause is the wings aren't flying with the same pitch or
angle of attack. Kolb sells a wide aft wing attachment
fitting that allows one wing to be adjusted by moving
washers around on the attachment bolt to trim out minor
alignment issues. Use one on both wings for more adjustment.
Some people add a  bungee cord that pulls the stick to the
side. I trim my plane for neutral stick force flying solo
but requires a bit of pressure with a passenger. Kolbs are
almost never able to fly hands off.
As usual worth what you paid for
it.
Rick NeilsenRedrive VW Powered
MKIIIC
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017
at 4:31 PM, jonealjr <jonealjr(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

"jonealjr" <jonealjr(at)gmail.com>

PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THIS   Smile

I have a mark III classic w 912 uls Acting odd during taxi
needs lots of left rudder to keep on the runway with tail on
and off the ground and while flying needs lots of right
stick to keep plane level. If you let go of the controls
during straight and level flight the plane wants to roll to
the left has anyone had similar experiences and or has
anybody had any luck with adjusting engine mounts changing
the thrust angle to help with aileron trim etc

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/
viewtopic.php?p=470012#470012

==== ============================== ==

-List" rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/
Navigator?Kolb-List

FORUMS -

eferrer"
target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com

WIKI -

errer"
target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com

b Site -

-Matt Dralle, List Admin.

rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/
contribution

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clasic Reply with quote

Jimmy I am posting things on the Kolb e-mail list, but nobody seems to have a direct answer for why the airplane rolls one way and not another.

I have three separate ideas for you to try, but I have not tested any of them.

First, Use a digital level, measuring at three or four places on each wing, to make sure your airplane is not warped or built improperly. If one wing is twisted only a few degrees, it will answer half of these problems immediately. Tape or clamp the level onto a piece of aluminum angle or a straight edge that is 100% straight. Jack up the tailwheel until the airplane is level by their definition. Measure at the root rib on each side, two ribs on each wing in the middle, and the last tip rib. You are checking to see that ALL of these lines are exactly the same.

Second, make 100% sure your airplane is rigged and adjusted to the factory specs. Get this information from Bryan Melbourne if you don't already have it. Basically, forget about anything that anyone else has done, and "zero out" the settings to whatever Kolb says they are supposed to be.

Third, make a piece of tube or dowel that fits into or onto the control stick, that allows you to have another 6 or 8 inches of leverage. This can be temporary, but you definitely need to have more control avaiilable than you need to use.

Fourth, actually measure and record how much each aileron twists when you move the stick and someone holds the tip of the aileron. What you are looking for is one aileron being more flexible than the other, or one aileron having something loose or cracked, etc.

At that time, after you have proven the wings are not twisted, and all four control surfaces are where the factory says they should be,a nd nothing is weak or cracked... THEN go test fly the aircraft again. Test it on the main runway, before the control tower opens. Do short flights at 5 foot altitude, verify that the airplane flies straight and that you have no "pull" or roll to the right or left. You MUST prove to yourself (and your kids) that you have plenty of aileron control authority to roll right and left equally, BEFORE you let yourself get above 5 feet.

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 6/12/17, jonealjr <jonealjr(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clasic
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, June 12, 2017, 1:31 PM

"jonealjr" <jonealjr(at)gmail.com>

PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE
WITH THIS  Smile

I have a mark III classic w 912 uls
Acting odd during taxi needs lots of left rudder to keep on
the runway with tail on and off the ground and while flying
needs lots of right stick to keep plane level. If you let go
of the controls during straight and level flight the plane
wants to roll to the left has anyone had similar experiences
and or has anybody had any luck with adjusting engine mounts
changing the thrust angle to help with aileron trim etc

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=470012#470012

The Kolb-List Email Forum -
Navigator to browse
List Un/Subscription,
7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
    - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
via the Web Forums!
    - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
Email List Wiki!
  - List Contribution Web Site -
support!

-Matt Dralle, List Admin.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: