Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELT and ELT antenna placement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Guys

Where did you install the ELT in your RV-10?
And where did you install the ELT antenna?

Best
Carlos

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
LarryRosen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

I mounted mine on the wall of the tail cone, passenger side, near the cargo area. I made a mount similar to the one Vans sells passenger://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1497441127-310-252&browse=airframe&product=bracket The antenna is all the way in the rear under the tail fiberglass. Many have put both the elt and the antenna in this same area.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N205EN (reserved)
<http>
philperry9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

On mine the unit is in the tailcone, pax side, just behind the baggage bulkhead.

The antenna is mounted on the baggage bulk head and pointed forward into the baggage area. It fits tightly up against the cabin top and rides in the 90° bend formed by the cabin top and overhead air console.

You never know it's there.
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 14, 2017, at 7:00 AM, LarryRosen <N205EN(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I mounted mine on the wall of the tail cone, passenger side, near the cargo area. I made a mount similar to the one Vans sells passenger://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1497441127-310-252&browse=airframe&product=bracket The antenna is all the way in the rear under the tail fiberglass. Many have put both the elt and the antenna in this same area.

--------
Larry Rosen
N205EN (reserved)
&lt;http&gt;

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=470095#470095

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Thanks Larry

Let me ask: did you put the antenna "inside" the fiberglass fairing because of drag, or was it because of integrity reasons in case of crash?

Best
Carlos

Enviado do meu iPhone

No dia 14/06/2017, às 13:00, LarryRosen <N205EN(at)gmail.com> escreveu:

Quote:

--------
Larry Rosen
N205EN (reserved)
&lt;http&gt;

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

I mounted my ELT on a raised floor over the trim cables, just aft of the bulkhead.  The antenna is mounted on that bulkhead pointing aft so it's under the fiberglass fairing.
Linn
[img]cid:part1.99089C49.8700FF18(at)cfl.rr.com[/img]
On 6/14/2017 3:36 AM, Carlos Trigo wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt> (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)

Guys

Where did you install the ELT in your RV-10?
And where did you install the ELT antenna?

Best
Carlos
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

403_Mhz_ELT.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.41 KB
 Viewed:  16209 Time(s)

403_Mhz_ELT.JPG

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

One very important issue on the ELT antenna: Although many have mounted the
antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet
the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT. This was
an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane. This was a go/no
go issue, not negotiable. The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to
a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to
comply. The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail
cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin. (for me this was
traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the
airplane)

Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his visit,
it will likely save you an extra trip.

(Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that
Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety
wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch. I had to change them to
drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)

-Bob Newman
N541RV
www.tcwtech.com

--

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Good call Bob. I have known a few DARs and FAA inspectors over my
experimental career, and have real heartburn with those that apply
certificated requirements or their own issues to an experimental
inspection. None of us want to tick off the inspector (read $$$ and
delay) but if asked for proof of guidance on the issues they usually
relent. If they don't then I comply in the least intrusive way .....
and return that item to the original configuration after the
inspection. I have had the ELT antenna discussion before and countered
the question with one of my own: "How many accidents have you seen where
the ELT antenna remained in the vertical position??"
Linn

On 6/14/2017 9:02 AM, Bob-tcw wrote:
[quote]

One very important issue on the ELT antenna: Although many have
mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing,
this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested
with the ELT. This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to
inspect my plane. This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable. The
TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be
within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply. The only
suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by
drilling a hole through the aluminum skin. (for me this was
traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of
the airplane)

Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his
visit, it will likely save you an extra trip.

(Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to
accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that
are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch. I
had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his
visit)

-Bob Newman
N541RV
www.tcwtech.com

--

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Good advice, and grounds to select a different DAR.
Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees
from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will
be after the crash, I would be happy to comply. If a plane flips, the
antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with
nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of
issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most
use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire
doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
With ADS-B there is a track of the aircraft until it goes below ground
station coverage, so the ELT only helps find the plane within the few
miles it could travel below a few hundred feet on its way to impact.

As for the Cleveland brake issue, that is example of DER denying
validity of FAA/PMA and sTC approvals. Most Cleveland brakes are either
PMA approved or STC approved with the standard locknut without drilled
head bolts. Some older Clevelands did not have the locknut feature and
did use drilled head bolts. I have owned planes with and without the
locknut. Installed Cleveland conversion kit for single engine Cessnas
and flew the plane for 23 years without safety wired bolts. A DER should
not be questioning a part that has had FAA approval for over 40 years,
or should be petitioning the ACO that approved the part for an AD if it
is so unsafe. Of course obtaining 4 drilled head bolts of right size to
placate the DER is minor deal, and you could replace them with the
original bolts the minute the DER departed.
My DAR was a little concerned about some interference on my stick at the
far right/nose up position. Of course the stick could not reach that
area of travel with any pilot in the seat, even Twiggy.

On 6/14/2017 6:02 AM, Bob-tcw wrote:
[quote]

One very important issue on the ELT antenna: Although many have mounted
the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not
meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT.
This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane. This
was a go/no go issue, not negotiable. The TSO requires the antenna
must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with
respect to vertical to comply. The only suitable location was to
mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the
aluminum skin. (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide
every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)

Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his
visit, it will likely save you an extra trip.

(Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept
that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not
safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch. I had to
change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)

-Bob Newman
N541RV
www.tcwtech.com

--

dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

The DAR I used back in 2008 also questioned the lack of safety wire on the brake bolts. We took a look at the plans (to make sure I hadn't made a mistake) and that satisfied him. I did eventually switch to drilled head bolts and wired them. No big deal to do it, and a bit of belt and suspenders, I guess. Same DAR was known to be a stickler on "legal" nav lights as far as color, brightness, etc. I elected to install the standard Whelen system that Van's sold back then to avoid any headaches. He actually had the equipment to measure the output of the lights and was reported to check them on non-certified lighting. LED's were not nearly as good as they are today. Have since installed LED bulbs.

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL
rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

My only intent was to point out the ELT is definitely on the DAR radar as a sensitive issue. In our area there's essentially no practical choice in DAR's anymore. (For hundreds of miles). Knowing his hot button issues was the key to a smooth an efficient approval.

As in all things we need to pick our battles.

lastly sorry for all the references to DER, I meant DAR.

All the work we've been doing on our STC has DER on my brain.

Bob Newman
Www.tcwtech.com

[quote] On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:40 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will be after the crash, I would be happy to comply. If a plane flips, the antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
With ADS-B there is a track of the aircraft until it goes below ground station coverage, so the ELT only helps find the plane within the few miles it could travel below a few hundred feet on its way to impact.

As for the Cleveland brake issue, that is example of DER denying validity of FAA/PMA and sTC approvals. Most Cleveland brakes are either PMA approved or STC approved with the standard locknut without drilled head bolts. Some older Clevelands did not have the locknut feature and did use drilled head bolts. I have owned planes with and without the locknut. Installed Cleveland conversion kit for single engine Cessnas and flew the plane for 23 years without safety wired bolts. A DER should not be questioning a part that has had FAA approval for over 40 years, or should be petitioning the ACO that approved the part for an AD if it is so unsafe. Of course obtaining 4 drilled head bolts of right size to placate the DER is minor deal, and you could replace them with the original bolts the minute the DER departed.
My DAR was a little concerned about some interference on my stick at the far right/nose up position. Of course the stick could not reach that area of travel with any pilot in the seat, even Twiggy.

> On 6/14/2017 6:02 AM, Bob-tcw wrote:
>
> One very important issue on the ELT antenna: Although many have mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT. This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane. This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable. The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply. The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin. (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)
> Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his visit, it will likely save you an extra trip.
> (Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch. I had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)
> -Bob Newman
> N541RV
> www.tcwtech.com
> --

jump2(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

My question is, aren't elt antennas a transmitting antenna, just like your com antenna? If so why are you not putting your com antennas inside of plane, tail cone, engine compartment. Most elt antenna are flexible not rigid have not seen them torn off unless flipped and since we have vertical stab chances are slim that happening.
I'm still asking these questions and no one has answered them for me.

Sent from my iPad

[quote] On Jun 14, 2017, at 6:40 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will be after the crash, I would be happy to comply. If a plane flips, the antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
With ADS-B there is a track of the aircraft until it goes below ground station coverage, so the ELT only helps find the plane within the few miles it could travel below a few hundred feet on its way to impact.

As for the Cleveland brake issue, that is example of DER denying validity of FAA/PMA and sTC approvals. Most Cleveland brakes are either PMA approved or STC approved with the standard locknut without drilled head bolts. Some older Clevelands did not have the locknut feature and did use drilled head bolts. I have owned planes with and without the locknut. Installed Cleveland conversion kit for single engine Cessnas and flew the plane for 23 years without safety wired bolts. A DER should not be questioning a part that has had FAA approval for over 40 years, or should be petitioning the ACO that approved the part for an AD if it is so unsafe. Of course obtaining 4 drilled head bolts of right size to placate the DER is minor deal, and you could replace them with the original bolts the minute the DER departed.
My DAR was a little concerned about some interference on my stick at the far right/nose up position. Of course the stick could not reach that area of travel with any pilot in the seat, even Twiggy.

> On 6/14/2017 6:02 AM, Bob-tcw wrote:
>
> One very important issue on the ELT antenna: Although many have mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT. This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane. This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable. The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply. The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin. (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)
> Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his visit, it will likely save you an extra trip.
> (Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch. I had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)
> -Bob Newman
> N541RV
> www.tcwtech.com
> --

LarryRosen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

The real reason I put it there was aesthetics.
I didn't want the antenna on the exterior and it seemed like a good place.
trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt wrote:
Thanks Larry

Let me ask: did you put the antenna "inside" the fiberglass fairing because of drag, or was it because of integrity reasons in case of crash?

Best
Carlos

Enviado do meu iPhone

No dia 14/06/2017, às 13:00, LarryRosen <N205EN> escreveu:

Quote:

--------
Larry Rosen
N205EN (reserved)
&lt;http&gt;

N205EN (reserved)
<http>
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

See below .....
On 6/14/2017 10:56 AM, Patrick Thyssen wrote:
Quote:

My question is, aren't elt antennas a transmitting antenna, just like your com antenna?
Other than the fact that they are vertically polarized their function is

different. You hope to never use the ELT antenna but you hope to use
you com antennas a lot. Since the new 406 Mhz. ELTs are using
satellites for receptions ..... vastly different for the ground-based
121.5 ELTs .... mounting the antenna on it's side (if it stays that way
after impact) provides a much better signal for the satellite.
Quote:
If so why are you not putting your com antennas inside of plane, tail cone, engine compartment.
Some do. Search for Archer antennas. Mostly mounted inside fiberglass

wingtips.
Quote:
Most elt antenna are flexible not rigid have not seen them torn off unless flipped and since we have vertical stab chances are slim that happening.
The FAA has come out with a SB (I think) on ELTs that are mounted with a

velcro strap to prevent them from coming loose in severe deceleration
.... because the have become disconnected from the antenna.
Quote:
I hope this helps. Remember that a round rod has more drag than most

other shapes like airfoils. Also, in my mind the crashes severe enough
to cause concern over antenna orientation/connection only need the
antenna for searchers to find the remains. My 406 ELT only came with a
whip so I velcro'd a rubber ducky antenna to to ELT to use it as a
portable. I also plan on carrying a PLB. Many options are available to
help rescuers find you.
Linn
[quote]
Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 6:40 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Good advice, and grounds to select a different DAR.
> Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will be after the crash, I would be happy to comply. If a plane flips, the antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
> With ADS-B there is a track of the aircraft until it goes below ground station coverage, so the ELT only helps find the plane within the few miles it could travel below a few hundred feet on its way to impact.
>
> As for the Cleveland brake issue, that is example of DER denying validity of FAA/PMA and sTC approvals. Most Cleveland brakes are either PMA approved or STC approved with the standard locknut without drilled head bolts. Some older Clevelands did not have the locknut feature and did use drilled head bolts. I have owned planes with and without the locknut. Installed Cleveland conversion kit for single engine Cessnas and flew the plane for 23 years without safety wired bolts. A DER should not be questioning a part that has had FAA approval for over 40 years, or should be petitioning the ACO that approved the part for an AD if it is so unsafe. Of course obtaining 4 drilled head bolts of right size to placate the DER is minor deal, and you could replace them with the original bolts the minute the DER departed.
> My DAR was a little concerned about some interference on my stick at the far right/nose up position. Of course the stick could not reach that area of travel with any pilot in the seat, even Twiggy.
>
>> On 6/14/2017 6:02 AM, Bob-tcw wrote:
>>
>> One very important issue on the ELT antenna: Although many have mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT. This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane. This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable. The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply. The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin. (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)
>> Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his visit, it will likely save you an extra trip.
>> (Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch. I had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)
>> -Bob Newman
>> N541RV
>> www.tcwtech.com
>> --

rv10pro(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Patrick,
Certified Aircraft vs. Experiments
Antenna polarity and signal broadcast effectiveness are based on the antenna "tuned" within spec for the specific frequency.  Comms often have problems at the higher freqs due to tuning in the mid range of a wide spectrum.  ELTs are the limp appendage of aircraft electronics.
As a now retired Airline Avionics tech who regularly tested signal and battery strength as well as squitter data stream broadcast accuracy, the antenna was alway vertical. A portion on the radiating end was always outside the aircraft skin and the ground plane was always effectively a solid ground-plane.  We even do annual drop testing.
Many experimentals I have inspected do not have batteries which comply with the FARs and their antennas are hidden for builder decided cosmetic reasons which produce little effective broadcast range.  The Vertical airfoil usually provides adequate protection to continue broadcasting after an unintended hard landing.
Compromise is one of the actions that reasonable, well educated people deviate from regulated norms.  Your mileage will vary.  406 has helped a lot. 121.5 remains a joke.  We tested all three frequencies every year on the correct minutes after the hour or grounded the non-compliant elts or worse the aircraft from beloved revenue production.
ULBs and Orange (black) boxes are another subject we do not screw with.  We have no latitude to play with their intended purpose and periodic testing.
John Cox
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Patrick Thyssen <jump2(at)sbcglobal.net (jump2(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: Patrick Thyssen <jump2(at)sbcglobal.net (jump2(at)sbcglobal.net)>

My question is, aren't elt antennas a transmitting antenna, just like your com antenna? If so why are you not putting your com antennas inside of plane, tail cone, engine compartment. Most elt antenna are flexible not rigid have not seen them torn off unless flipped and since we have vertical stab chances are slim that happening.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 6:40 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)AVIATING.COM (kellym(at)AVIATING.COM)>
>
> Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will be after the crash, I would be happy to comply.  If a plane flips, the antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
> With ADS-B there is a track of the aircraft until it goes below ground station coverage, so the ELT only helps find the plane within the few miles it could travel below a few hundred feet on its way to impact.
>
> As for the Cleveland brake issue, that is example of DER denying validity of FAA/PMA and sTC approvals. Most Cleveland brakes are either PMA approved or STC approved with the standard locknut without drilled head bolts. Some older Clevelands did not have the locknut feature and did use drilled head bolts. I have owned planes with and without the locknut. Installed Cleveland conversion kit for single engine Cessnas and flew the plane for 23 years without safety wired bolts. A DER should not be questioning a part that has had FAA approval for over 40 years, or should be petitioning the ACO that approved the part for an AD if it is so unsafe. Of course obtaining 4 drilled head bolts of right size to placate the DER is minor deal, and you could replace them with the original bolts the minute the DER departed.
> My DAR was a little concerned about some interference on my stick at the far right/nose up position. Of course the stick could not reach that area of travel with any pilot in the seat, even Twiggy.
>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob-tcw" <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)>
>> One very important issue on the ELT antenna:  Although many have mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT.    This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane.  This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable.    The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply.    The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin.    (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)
>> Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his visit, it will likely save you an extra trip.
>> (Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch.   I had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)
>> -Bob Newman
>> N541RV
>> www.tcwtech.com
>> --

philperry9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Our local DAR is a bit ridiculous too. He has a hard time understanding the differences between the two. I went ahead and spent the extra cash to fly a DAR in from 700 miles away who had experience in the E-AB world.

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:27 AM, Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com> wrote:

My only intent was to point out the ELT is definitely on the DAR radar as a sensitive issue. In our area there's essentially no practical choice in DAR's anymore. (For hundreds of miles). Knowing his hot button issues was the key to a smooth an efficient approval.

As in all things we need to pick our battles.

lastly sorry for all the references to DER, I meant DAR.

All the work we've been doing on our STC has DER on my brain.

Bob Newman
Www.tcwtech.com

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:40 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will be after the crash, I would be happy to comply. If a plane flips, the antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
>
>
>>
>> One very important issue on the ELT antenna: Although many have mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT. This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane. This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable. The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply. The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin. (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)
>> (Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch. I had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)
>> -Bob Newman
>> N541RV
>> www.tcwtech.com
>> --

rv10pro(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Many experimental ELTs are effectively dysfunctional or obsolete after installation.  Most tests are done by turning on the Comm to 121.5 and thinking being 5 feet away will work in the real recovery - location arena.  How many have 406 tested annually?  How many have 243 tested? Many owners/operators do not install correct replacement batteries and correctly test batteries or replace non-compliants on the correct schedule.
Find an avionics shop that will test all three and provide a written report of compliance every 5 to 10 years.
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)>

Our local DAR is a bit ridiculous too.  He has a hard time understanding the differences between the two.   I went ahead and spent the extra cash to fly a DAR in from 700 miles away who had experience in the E-AB world.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:27 AM, Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)>
>
> My only intent was to point out the ELT is definitely on the DAR radar as a sensitive issue.    In our area there's essentially no practical choice in DAR's anymore.   (For hundreds of miles).  Knowing his hot button issues was the key to a smooth an efficient approval.
>
> As in all things we need to pick our battles.
>
> lastly sorry for all the references to DER, I meant DAR.
>
> All the work we've been doing on our STC has DER on my brain.
>
> Bob Newman
> Www.tcwtech.com
>
>
>
>
>
>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:40 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)AVIATING.COM (kellym(at)AVIATING.COM)>
>>
>> Good advice, and grounds to select a different DAR.
>> Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will be after the crash, I would be happy to comply.  If a plane flips, the antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
>> With ADS-B there is a track of the aircraft until it goes below ground station coverage, so the ELT only helps find the plane within the few miles it could travel below a few hundred feet on its way to impact.
>>
>> As for the Cleveland brake issue, that is example of DER denying validity of FAA/PMA and sTC approvals. Most Cleveland brakes are either PMA approved or STC approved with the standard locknut without drilled head bolts. Some older Clevelands did not have the locknut feature and did use drilled head bolts. I have owned planes with and without the locknut. Installed Cleveland conversion kit for single engine Cessnas and flew the plane for 23 years without safety wired bolts. A DER should not be questioning a part that has had FAA approval for over 40 years, or should be petitioning the ACO that approved the part for an AD if it is so unsafe. Of course obtaining 4 drilled head bolts of right size to placate the DER is minor deal, and you could replace them with the original bolts the minute the DER departed.
>> My DAR was a little concerned about some interference on my stick at the far right/nose up position. Of course the stick could not reach that area of travel with any pilot in the seat, even Twiggy.
>>
>>> On 6/14/2017 6:02 AM, Bob-tcw wrote:
>>> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob-tcw" <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)>
>>> One very important issue on the ELT antenna:  Although many have mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT.    This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane.  This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable.    The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply.    The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin.    (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)
>>> Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his visit, it will likely save you an extra trip.
>>> (Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch.   I had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)
>>> -Bob Newman
>>> N541RV
>>> www.tcwtech.com
>>> --

partner14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Pretty soon ATC will know pretty much exactly where we are all the time... won't that pretty much take care of knowing where the plane crashed?

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: ELT and ELT antenna placement

Many experimental ELTs are effectively dysfunctional or obsolete after installation. Most tests are done by turning on the Comm to 121.5 and thinking being 5 feet away will work in the real recovery - location arena. How many have 406 tested annually? How many have 243 tested? Many owners/operators do not install correct replacement batteries and correctly test batteries or replace non-compliants on the correct schedule.
Find an avionics shop that will test all three and provide a written report of compliance every 5 to 10 years.
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)>

Our local DAR is a bit ridiculous too. He has a hard time understanding the differences between the two. I went ahead and spent the extra cash to fly a DAR in from 700 miles away who had experience in the E-AB world.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:27 AM, Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)>
>
> My only intent was to point out the ELT is definitely on the DAR radar as a sensitive issue. In our area there's essentially no practical choice in DAR's anymore. (For hundreds of miles). Knowing his hot button issues was the key to a smooth an efficient approval.
>
>
>
>
> Bob Newman
> Www.tcwtech.com
>
>
>
>
>
>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:40 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)AVIATING.COM (kellym(at)AVIATING.COM)>
>>
>> Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will be after the crash, I would be happy to comply. If a plane flips, the antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
>> With ADS-B there is a track of the aircraft until it goes below ground station coverage, so the ELT only helps find the plane within the few miles it could travel below a few hundred feet on its way to impact.
>>
>> As for the Cleveland brake issue, that is example of DER denying validity of FAA/PMA and sTC approvals. Most Cleveland brakes are either PMA approved or STC approved with the standard locknut without drilled head bolts. Some older Clevelands did not have the locknut feature and did use drilled head bolts. I have owned planes with and without the locknut. Installed Cleveland conversion kit for single engine Cessnas and flew the plane for 23 years without safety wired bolts. A DER should not be questioning a part that has had FAA approval for over 40 years, or should be petitioning the ACO that approved the part for an AD if it is so unsafe. Of course obtaining 4 drilled head bolts of right size to placate the DER is minor deal, and you could replace them with the original bolts the minute the DER departed.
>> My DAR was a little concerned about some interference on my stick at the far right/nose up position. Of course the stick could not reach that area of travel with any pilot in the seat, even Twiggy.
>>
>>> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob-tcw" <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)>
>>> One very important issue on the ELT antenna: Although many have mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT. This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane. This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable. The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply. The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin. (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)
>>> Ask your perspective DER for his list of go/no go issues prior to his visit, it will likely save you an extra trip.
>>> (Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch.  I had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)
>>> -Bob Newman
>>> N541RV
>>> www.tcwtech.com
>>> --

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

John,

I'm not sure of the basis of your statements. The reg only does not state that 3 frequencies must be tested. 243 is produced via a harmonic off the 121.5, so it will be of similar strength and quality, The reg was written before 406 came about, and thus is not really addressed. the units I am familiar with have self test function. There was/is an advisory circular on how to do the test. IIRC it called for using an AM radio tuned away from any stations to hear the sweep of the ELT.  Takes some effort to hook up the wrong battery to the first generation ELTs, because each case was different size and different brand wouldn't fit. They are still legal, 40+ years after the original TSO....they were and are a joke, but legal.

As for the newer generation 121.5 that call for a specific brand of alkaline battery...who cares if you install Duracell iinstead of Energizer or vice versa, as long as it has an expiration date on it. Who keeps a log of in use time to determine if batteries have accumulated 1 hour or more of use?

With ADS-B, PLRBs, Spot, etc. the ELT really has become more of a regulatory nuisance than a significant rescue tool. Some of us were around to install the 1st generation units. In fact, I was close to some of the aviators that spent months searching for the two Congressmen that vanished. To this day, no sign of the aircraft has ever been found. With melting glaciers, maybe that will change.

I seriously do not get the concern about vertical. What percentage of crashes either arrive on the gear or right side up? Land in tree tops and most any external antennas will be ripped off. I once took a fleet of armored vehicles through uncut forest of young, small trees. Before we left the woods, not one of the shielded lights or antennas remained.

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 8:42 AM, John Cox <rv10pro(at)gmail.com (rv10pro(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Many experimental ELTs are effectively dysfunctional or obsolete after installation.  Most tests are done by turning on the Comm to 121.5 and thinking being 5 feet away will work in the real recovery - location arena.  How many have 406 tested annually?  How many have 243 tested? Many owners/operators do not install correct replacement batteries and correctly test batteries or replace non-compliants on the correct schedule.

Our local DAR is a bit ridiculous too.  He has a hard time understanding the differences between the two.   I went ahead and spent the extra cash to fly a DAR in from 700 miles away who had experience in the E-AB world.

Sent from my iPhone

>
>
> My only intent was to point out the ELT is definitely on the DAR radar as a sensitive issue.    In our area there's essentially no practical choice in DAR's anymore.   (For hundreds of miles).  Knowing his hot button issues was the key to a smooth an efficient approval.
>
>
>
>
> Bob Newman
> Www.tcwtech.com

Quote:

>

>
>
>
>>
>>
>> Yes, TSO requirements call for the antenna to be no more than xx degrees from vertical. If the TSO writers can assure me of where vertical will be after the crash, I would be happy to comply.  If a plane flips, the antenna sticking out of the fuselage will break off, leaving you with nothing. The bulkhead works fine as a ground plane. There are lots of issues with ELT regs that don't make some authorities happy, like most use telephone cable to connect to remote switch. Of course that wire doesn't meet burn specs. I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.
>>
>>
>>> One very important issue on the ELT antenna:  Although many have mounted the antenna and the elt under the fiberglass tail fairing, this does not meet the TSO requirements for antenna as it was tested with the ELT.    This was an absolute issue for the DER I used to inspect my plane.  This was a go/no go issue, not negotiable.    The TSO requires the antenna must be mounted to a ground plane and be within a certain angle with respect to vertical to comply.    The only suitable location was to mount the antenna to the tail cone by drilling a hole through the aluminum skin.    (for me this was traumatic as I had worked to hide every antenna on the top surface of the airplane)
>>> (Another example of issues from the DER was his unwillingness to accept that Cleveland brake calipers are held together with bolts that are not safety wired, but instead utilize a locking thread patch.   I had to change them to drilled head bolts with safety wire prior to his visit)
>>> -Bob Newman
>>> N541RV
>>> www.tcwtech.com
>>> --

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I think we need to take it a bit easier with the DARs. After all, they are direct or indirect FAA employees, and their job is to see to it that the rules are obeyed. The rules say the ELT has to be TSO'd, and the TSO details antenna mounting. I certainly wish the rules all ended with, "...but use common sense or good judgement....". But that is certainly not the FAA way. So complain - but the complaints should go to the FAA.
Not to change the subject, but I hope everyone has noted the latest FAA craziness: If you now are flying under BasicMed you may act as PIC; but you may not act as a required safety pilot if the PIC is under the hood. Where's the logic in that?

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: ELT and ELT antenna placement Reply with quote

You are absolutely correct. Not to mention that you can change anything
you want as soon as the DAR leaves the premises.

On 6/14/2017 2:29 PM, Bob Turner wrote:
Quote:

Hey guys,
I think we need to take it a bit easier with the DARs. After all, they are direct or indirect FAA employees, and their job is to see to it that the rules are obeyed. The rules say the ELT has to be TSO'd, and the TSO details antenna mounting. I certainly wish the rules all ended with, "...but use common sense or good judgement....". But that is certainly not the FAA way. So complain - but the complaints should go to the FAA.
Not to change the subject, but I hope everyone has noted the latest FAA craziness: If you now are flying under BasicMed you may act as PIC; but you may not act as a required safety pilot if the PIC is under the hood. Where's the logic in that?

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=470131#470131

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: