Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mono wheel handbrake type & location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Klein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: mono wheel handbrake type & location Reply with quote

Gents…

As I begin taxi-tests, the reality of having my right hand dance between the throttle and hand brake, and/or abandoning the control stick and crossing over w/ my left hand to juice the throttle with the right hand on the brake handle is just beginning to sink in.

My hand brake installation is per plans, and my throttle is an Acft Spruce A-800 Friction Lock Control which exits out the back of a somewhat-shortened raised portion of the top of the CM between the seats. My throttle set-up, though not exactly as per plans, in my opinion does not present a situation for the pilot which differs any (for the left and right hands) from that of the standard mono-build.

During my build, I considered this very situation as problematic and gave some thought to mounting a motorcycle-type squeeze-lever (with a built-in master cylinder) to the control stick…something I’d seen on Alex Bowman’s mono wheel…I did NOT follow through with this because I feared that making the brake SO available would lead to inadvertent and untimely application of the brake, possible prop strikes, etc.

I know, of course, that everything will get easier as I become familiar w/ my bird…today was my first day of taxiing about the airfield…but nonetheless, I’m wondering how you mono-guys handle the brake & throttle during taxiing and full-power run ups, and whether many (or any) of you have gotten away from the stock brake handle.

Fred

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
rehn(at)rockisland.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: mono wheel handbrake type & location Reply with quote

Hi Fred
I was just over at your field a couple of days ago, walked into town for lunch. I may be able to fly over perhaps this Wed. I will be flying my daughter over to Arlington and perhaps I could swing by on my way home, if that works for you.
I can share what I do, looking forward to seeing your work! Not sure of time yet, but if it doesn't work we'll figure out something. Congrats on taxi!
Jerry

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, at 8:36 PM, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:

Gents…

As I begin taxi-tests, the reality of having my right hand dance between the throttle and hand brake, and/or abandoning the control stick and crossing over w/ my left hand to juice the throttle with the right hand on the brake handle is just beginning to sink in.

My hand brake installation is per plans, and my throttle is an Acft Spruce A-800 Friction Lock Control which exits out the back of a somewhat-shortened raised portion of the top of the CM between the seats. My throttle set-up, though not exactly as per plans, in my opinion does not present a situation for the pilot which differs any (for the left and right hands) from that of the standard mono-build.

During my build, I considered this very situation as problematic and gave some thought to mounting a motorcycle-type squeeze-lever (with a built-in master cylinder) to the control stick…something I’d seen on Alex Bowman’s mono wheel…I did NOT follow through with this because I feared that making the brake SO available would lead to inadvertent and untimely application of the brake, possible prop strikes, etc.

I know, of course, that everything will get easier as I become familiar w/ my bird…today was my first day of taxiing about the airfield…but nonetheless, I’m wondering how you mono-guys handle the brake & throttle during taxiing and full-power run ups, and whether many (or any) of you have gotten away from the stock brake handle.

Fred

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rowlandcarson(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: mono wheel handbrake type & location Reply with quote

On 2017-07-04, at 04:36, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:

Quote:

I’m currently doing my licence revalidation hours in a Fournier RF6B (yes, it _should_ have been in my Europa - definitely next time!). It’s a tri-gear configuration but the nosewheel is apparently quite fragile and we’re told to keep the stick well back while taxying etc. It does not have toe brakes, but a single lever between the seats, plus a tiny button that has to be pulled up to hold the brakes on. At first, I found it quite hard to have enough hands to close the (LH) throttle, keep the stick back & apply the brake with my right hand. However, a bit of forward planning and practice helps and I don’t feel fazed by it any more.

I’m hoping the same will apply to my monowheel Europa - when I was allowed to taxi a friend’s monowheel, I had more trouble just steering a straight course on tarmac than with brake/throttle/stick handling.

Hope you will find that practice makes it easier.

in friendship

Rowland
| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: mono wheel handbrake type & location Reply with quote

Fred, Most of the time you will of course want brake only with the throttle fully closed, which shouldn't present a problem. There are times however when you want both - doing engine ruin ups and more importantly to turn in a tight circle at low speed. In both cases you need the stick hard back to avoid the possibility of going A over T and to maintain tail wheel authority. With the conventional throttle arrangement you can (or with my large hand I can) readily operate the brake with the finger tips whilst operating the throttle with the palm of the right hand, but I guess your arrangement will not work for such a manoeuvre. It is possible to hold the stick hard back by wrapping a leg around it and I usually do just that for engine run ups and I can see it would also be possible for low speed turns. I should explain perhaps that with a combination of medium throttle and hard, often intermittent braking it is possible to make a mono more or less spin on its axis, especially if turning left. If all else fails you can of course get out and push the tail around!
Regards, David Joyce GXSDJ

On 2017-07-04 04:36, Fred Klein wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)>

Gents...

During my build, I considered this very situation as problematic and gave some thought to mounting a motorcycle-type squeeze-lever (with a built-in master cylinder) to the control stick...something I'd seen on Alex Bowman's mono wheel...I did NOT follow through with this because I feared that making the brake SO available would lead to inadvertent and untimely application of the brake, possible prop strikes, etc.

I know, of course, that everything will get easier as I become familiar w/ my bird...today was my first day of taxiing about the airfield...but nonetheless, I'm wondering how you mono-guys handle the brake & throttle during taxiing and full-power run ups, and whether many (or any) of you have gotten away from the stock brake handle.

Fred
ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ics.com
.com
.matronics.com/contribution

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: mono wheel handbrake type & location Reply with quote

Thank you David, Rowland, Kingsley & Jerry for your wisdom…

…baby steps…just takin baby steps…

F.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: