Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Onex antenna location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Eckenroth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Onex antenna location Reply with quote

I am trying to decide on antenna location for my Onex. Since my radio is in the panel forward of the spar, I am considering putting the antenna immediately aft of the landing gear before the spar. The gear on the Onex is continuous left to right U shape made of .5 x 5" aluminum bar mounted to the bottom of the fuselage. The antenna is Delta Pop com and the radio MGL V6. I am concerned that the gear legs being a mass of metal might interfere with the radio signal. This position for the radio antenna will give me decent separation from the transponder and UAT antennas which are aft of the spar. Looking for guidance.

Paul

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Onex antenna location Reply with quote

The gear legs will affect the radio transmissions and reception. Exactly how much can only be determined by testing. You can install the antenna then go fly and try it out. You might be satisfied with it. Or maybe not. An option is to mount the com antenna on top of the airplane. Theoretically the airplane will block the signal from reaching the ground. But in practice, top mounted antennas work fine. The same might be true for an antenna mounted between the gear legs.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tomrv4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Onex antenna location Reply with quote

I have a bent whip on my RV4 between the gear legs just aft of the firewall.
I haven't had any problem communicating once airborne, but on the ground at
certain airports I have a heck of a time getting hold of the tower.

I'm building a full IFR RV-7A, and plan to put one antennae on the bottom of
the plane, and the secondary radio antennae on the top in order to switch to
whichever radio works best per the situation...

Tom

--

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Onex antenna location Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my RV-10. I moved one antenna to the top, problem
solved.

Rene'
801-721-6080

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: