Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADS-B for the mis-informed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kearney

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: ADS-B for the mis-informed. Reply with quote

Hi

Hmmm, maybe not mis-informed but uninformed.

North of the 49th, ADS-B is only for trans-oceanic high fliers. There are no immediate plans for GA ADSB in Canada. Rumor is, when NAVCanada does bring in ADS-B it will be satellite based.

That being said, I know I will need to be compliant by 2020 when I make the annual pilgrimage to KOSH. So my question is, what is the *simplist* way to become compliant. Panel wise I have dual AFS 4500 EFIS screens, a Garmin GTX327 txpndr and a Garmin GNS 430WAAS.

Will a NavWorx ADS600-EXP get the job done and if so will it allow traffic etc to be displayed on my 430 and/or EFIS?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Les

C-GCWZ Flying
C-GROK Some assembly required

PS: I read the recent ADS-B / XM Weather thread with great interest. I recently returned to Alberta via Michigan / Illinois / Iowa / Dakotas and found the XM Weather invaluable for a) actually being able to make the trip in not great weather and b) avoiding aircraft bending cells planted by mother nature. Based on the ADS-B coverage maps, there were a number of places I would have lost data due to altitude.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ADS-B for the mis-informed. Reply with quote

My opinions:
1. I would steer clear of NavWorx until they get their AD problems straightened out, assuming they ever do.
2. Only ADSB-OUT will be required. One of the cheapest ways to meet that is with something like the Echo UAT system, about $1K in the US. You can legally feed it GPS info from your 430W (430W may need a software upgrade, about $100 US).
3. ADSB-IN is not required, but of course that's what is of interest to you. The Echo mentioned above includes ADSB-IN but I don't know if it's compatible with the AFS or Garmin. Garmin keeps its software proprietary so not too many non-Garmin boxes can talk to it. Of course Garmin boxes can, but they do cost a bit more. Many -in boxes will send a wi-if signal to iPads running WingX. Best would be to find an -IN box that talks to your AFS. Not as good but useable is to use an iPad.

PS. You know that ADSB-OUT is only required after 1 Jan, 2020, if you fly above 10,000', or in Class B, or C airspace (or near or above or below them). Under current law, if you avoid this airspace you don't need ADSB at all.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The other topic Reply with quote

I have exactly the opposite opinion on the XM - ADSB debate.
For some years, I had XM wx in the airplane, as well as XM music in the plane and in the car. Every so often, I would get a "not subscribed" message, which required that I get in touch with XM to send a "refresh" signal. It was bad enough that I kept the XM site bookmarked in my iPad. Then, when I really needed it (desert SW with scattered lines of thunderstorms), it wouldn't work again. This area is so remote, that at a gas stop my iPad couldn't get a WiFi signal or a cell phone signal on the ground, so I couldn't refresh the box. We picked our way thru VFR but I was very unhappy about paying $400/yr only to have it fail when I wanted it most. Now, I use ADSB data both directly and indirectly. Directly: when high, I can virtually always see an ADSB ground station. Indirectly:when low, I can often (but not always) get a cell phone signal, in which case WingX (on the iPad) automatically gets wx radar data and displays it on the moving map. And I'm $400 richer every year.
Of course, in Canada, your options may be different.

kearney

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ADS-B for the mis-informed. Reply with quote

Bob

I have had the odd problem with XM Wx as well. I haven't had the signal refresh issue (*yet*) but sometimes it takes a while for the wx to refresh on my IPad. I'd love to use ADS-V wx but we don't have it in Canada. So XM wx is my only choice for now.

Cheers

Les

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: