Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future of flight...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim(at)PoogieBearRanch.co

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

"Viable" for certain missions, sure. For an FBO renting airplanes for
local flights, training flights, and $100 hamburger runs, we're almost
there already. But "viable" for extended cross-country flights? That
will take a while. It's not the airplane end that will be the slow part,
it will be the charging infrastructure.

Look how long it is taking to get the charging infrastructure built up
for electric vehicles using the highway system, then imagine the
economics involved in setting up "fast chargers" (2-4 hours for a full
charge) at all the GA airports across the nation. And that's IF all the
electric airplane vendors standardize on a charger type / plug / etc.

I wish it were not true, because I would LOVE to have an electric car
(but can't afford a Tesla), and there is no "fast-charge" station in
between Dallas and Austin that would allow me to drive a Chevy Bolt
(which would be my preferred "inexpensive" electric vehicle) from my
home and my kids' place in Austin. Even with a 200+ mile range, I would
need a charge before I got to their house...

I suspect we'll experience similar stuff with electric planes for many,
many years.

Jim Parker

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

Why would you choose to buy a Cole powered car with gas near $2.00 / gal.
headed toward $1.00 for the next several years. Tesla will require a few
more billions of our tax dollars to stay afloat. Look what has happened to
the solar plants. T. Boone Pickens gave up on wind power after spending
millions of his own money.

Tim

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rick(at)beebe.org

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

My 2 electric cars are powered by solar panels on my roof, not by coal.
I choose it because it's still less expensive than gasoline, doesn't
fund terrorist countries and doesn't pollute the atmosphere. Plus
they're fun to drive. When I drive regular cars now, I despise the noise
and vibration.

I'm excited about the explorations of electric aviation. Of course
battery technology is still too heavy and limited to allow for anything
beyond short flights right now (although battery capacity is increasing
quite dramatically) however I think we could see some very cool hybrid
applications. Designs can be innovative. Using electric motors to drive
props and ducted fans can be far more efficient than using gear boxes or
long odd drive shafts. Engines or turbines running generators can run at
their most efficient speed instead of what's most efficient for the
prop. Small battery banks can provide a buffer, allow "silent" taxiing
and give emergency power in case the generator quits.

I also think it could be ideal for helicopters since a large part of
their maintenance and wear items are gearbox related. There are some
really interesting developments going on in electric mult-rotor
designs--full size drones essentially.

And Tesla seems to be doing fine without any of our tax dollars.

--Rick

On 6/21/2017 4:22 PM, Tim Yoder wrote:
[quote]

Tim

--

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

Cole who? And why would he want to power my car? As to T. Boone, it
might be worthwhile to expand your news sources a bit, to get a better
picture.

If you want to see a real tax dollar, and
lobbied-government-forced-consumer dollar boondoggle, google 'Kemper
County coal power plant'. Current (pardon the pun) construction spending
total (and it's not over yet) that is roughly five Hundred BILLION
dollars *over budget* at >$700Billion, and they have conceded that they
can never burn coal there economically so they have shifted to natural
gas. The rate payers in that plant's service area were forced to
pre-fund a huge percentage of that cost, until the Public Service
Commission was forced to realize that the consumers it was supposed to
serve were being ripped off.

Do the math. A significant percentage of their customer base could have
had 30KW (gross overkill) solar systems *complete with battery storage &
generator backup*, for the money wasted on that plant.

I'm always amazed that people closely tied to tech (airplanes and what
powers them) don't believe in how quickly tech advances....

Charlie

On 6/21/2017 6:22 PM, Tim Yoder wrote:
[quote]

Tim

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

Well said. It's interesting...you have 2 electrics. I have 2 electrics. Another RV buddy of mine has 2 electrics. My opinion is, if more people would just try one and buy one, they'd soon see why they are so nice to have. We wouldn't buy 2 if they weren't making us happy. My second one I just got as a 3 year lease return and when purchased with 22k miles on it, was a better deal all the way around than any comparable used car with a gas engine.
And, mine is usually powered by the local hydro dam...
Other times it's powered by a nuke plant not too far away. Too bad more people don't embrace nuke....it's really the best choice for mass populations.
Tim

[quote] On Jun 21, 2017, at 7:16 PM, Rick Beebe <rick(at)beebe.org> wrote:

My 2 electric cars are powered by solar panels on my roof, not by coal. I choose it because it's still less expensive than gasoline, doesn't fund terrorist countries and doesn't pollute the atmosphere. Plus they're fun to drive. When I drive regular cars now, I despise the noise and vibration.

I'm excited about the explorations of electric aviation. Of course battery technology is still too heavy and limited to allow for anything beyond short flights right now (although battery capacity is increasing quite dramatically) however I think we could see some very cool hybrid applications. Designs can be innovative. Using electric motors to drive props and ducted fans can be far more efficient than using gear boxes or long odd drive shafts. Engines or turbines running generators can run at their most efficient speed instead of what's most efficient for the prop. Small battery banks can provide a buffer, allow "silent" taxiing and give emergency power in case the generator quits.

I also think it could be ideal for helicopters since a large part of their maintenance and wear items are gearbox related. There are some really interesting developments going on in electric mult-rotor designs--full size drones essentially.

--Rick

> On 6/21/2017 4:22 PM, Tim Yoder wrote:
>
> Why would you choose to buy a Cole powered car with gas near $2.00 / gal.
> headed toward $1.00 for the next several years. Tesla will require a few
> more billions of our tax dollars to stay afloat. Look what has happened to
> the solar plants. T. Boone Pickens gave up on wind power after spending
> millions of his own money.
> Tim
> --

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

Flight schools will be the very last adopters of electric airplanes if ever. Flight schools only make money by keeping their aircraft in the air every hour of every sunny weekend day, to make up for all the down time. You can refuel an empty gas powered 172 in two minutes while the next pilot is performing a preflight inspection and get it earning money with essentially no gaps.

Let’s see what the equivalent electricity requirements are. Let’s say we burned 15 gallons in our 172 in our 90 minute flight, and we need to achieve a five minute recharge.

The energy density of gasoline is 45MJ/litre, which is 171MJ/gallon
15 gallons of gasoline has 2.6GJ of energy.
2.5GJ serviced in 5 minutes is about 8.7 MW.
An 8.7MW draw is 800 amps from a dedicated 11,000kV distribution substation.
That is an entirely absurdly large amount of power to have to provide to an airport: the infrastructure doesn’t exist, would have to be built, and paid for.

So let’s bundle together stunningly efficient airplanes, that fly with 50% of the power required at present. Let’s lengthen the charge time to an hour, throw in multiple battery packs that we can quick change, whatever else you like. By the time you have more than two airplanes on the ramp the cost of the electrical infrastructure to recharge them is beyond belief.

Now let’s price the cost of electricity with equivalent energy content to a gallon of 100LL:
171 MJ is 47.5kWh, I don’t know what the industrial price for electricity is but the retail price is 12 US cents per kWh, so that gallon equivalent of energy is costing you $5.70 anyway. Not a lot of savings there.

You’re welcome to power your electric airplane from solar panels on your roof, and it might work if you only want to fly a couple of hours a week. That’s not going to cut it for anyone who uses an airplane for anything serious.

[quote] On Jun 21, 2017, at 8:16 PM, Rick Beebe <rick(at)beebe.org> wrote:

My 2 electric cars are powered by solar panels on my roof, not by coal. I choose it because it's still less expensive than gasoline, doesn't fund terrorist countries and doesn't pollute the atmosphere. Plus they're fun to drive. When I drive regular cars now, I despise the noise and vibration.

I'm excited about the explorations of electric aviation. Of course battery technology is still too heavy and limited to allow for anything beyond short flights right now (although battery capacity is increasing quite dramatically) however I think we could see some very cool hybrid applications. Designs can be innovative. Using electric motors to drive props and ducted fans can be far more efficient than using gear boxes or long odd drive shafts. Engines or turbines running generators can run at their most efficient speed instead of what's most efficient for the prop. Small battery banks can provide a buffer, allow "silent" taxiing and give emergency power in case the generator quits.

I also think it could be ideal for helicopters since a large part of their maintenance and wear items are gearbox related. There are some really interesting developments going on in electric mult-rotor designs--full size drones essentially.

--Rick

On 6/21/2017 4:22 PM, Tim Yoder wrote:
>
> Why would you choose to buy a Cole powered car with gas near $2.00 / gal.
> headed toward $1.00 for the next several years. Tesla will require a few
> more billions of our tax dollars to stay afloat. Look what has happened to
> the solar plants. T. Boone Pickens gave up on wind power after spending
> millions of his own money.
> Tim
> --

wgreenley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

Slight correction, total cost is now looking at just over 7 billion, not 700 billion. It was supposed to be a model for environmental technology to create a clean coal power plant.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 8:33 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

Cole who? And why would he want to power my car? As to T. Boone, it might be worthwhile to expand your news sources a bit, to get a better picture.

If you want to see a real tax dollar, and lobbied-government-forced-consumer dollar boondoggle, google 'Kemper County coal power plant'. Current (pardon the pun) construction spending total (and it's not over yet) that is roughly five Hundred BILLION dollars *over budget* at >$700Billion, and they have conceded that they can never burn coal there economically so they have shifted to natural gas. The rate payers in that plant's service area were forced to pre-fund a huge percentage of that cost, until the Public Service Commission was forced to realize that the consumers it was supposed to serve were being ripped off.

Do the math. A significant percentage of their customer base could have had 30KW (gross overkill) solar systems *complete with battery storage & generator backup*, for the money wasted on that plant.

I'm always amazed that people closely tied to tech (airplanes and what powers them) don't believe in how quickly tech advances....

Charlie

[quote] --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Tim Yoder" <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com (ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com)>

Tim

--

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

Well for starters, you conveniently leave out the percentage of the
gasoline's energy that actually propels the plane. I won't go any
farther; doesn't seem to be any point.

Charlie

On 6/21/2017 8:07 PM, Alec Myers wrote:
[quote]

Flight schools will be the very last adopters of electric airplanes if ever. Flight schools only make money by keeping their aircraft in the air every hour of every sunny weekend day, to make up for all the down time. You can refuel an empty gas powered 172 in two minutes while the next pilot is performing a preflight inspection and get it earning money with essentially no gaps.

Let’s see what the equivalent electricity requirements are. Let’s say we burned 15 gallons in our 172 in our 90 minute flight, and we need to achieve a five minute recharge.

That is an entirely absurdly large amount of power to have to provide to an airport: the infrastructure doesn’t exist, would have to be built, and paid for.

So let’s bundle together stunningly efficient airplanes, that fly with 50% of the power required at present. Let’s lengthen the charge time to an hour, throw in multiple battery packs that we can quick change, whatever else you like. By the time you have more than two airplanes on the ramp the cost of the electrical infrastructure to recharge them is beyond belief.

Now let’s price the cost of electricity with equivalent energy content to a gallon of 100LL:
171 MJ is 47.5kWh, I don’t know what the industrial price for electricity is but the retail price is 12 US cents per kWh, so that gallon equivalent of energy is costing you $5.70 anyway. Not a lot of savings there.

You’re welcome to power your electric airplane from solar panels on your roof, and it might work if you only want to fly a couple of hours a week. That’s not going to cut it for anyone who uses an airplane for anything serious.

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 8:16 PM, Rick Beebe <rick(at)beebe.org> wrote:
>
>
>
> My 2 electric cars are powered by solar panels on my roof, not by coal. I choose it because it's still less expensive than gasoline, doesn't fund terrorist countries and doesn't pollute the atmosphere. Plus they're fun to drive. When I drive regular cars now, I despise the noise and vibration.
>
> I'm excited about the explorations of electric aviation. Of course battery technology is still too heavy and limited to allow for anything beyond short flights right now (although battery capacity is increasing quite dramatically) however I think we could see some very cool hybrid applications. Designs can be innovative. Using electric motors to drive props and ducted fans can be far more efficient than using gear boxes or long odd drive shafts. Engines or turbines running generators can run at their most efficient speed instead of what's most efficient for the prop. Small battery banks can provide a buffer, allow "silent" taxiing and give emergency power in case the generator quits.
>
> I also think it could be ideal for helicopters since a large part of their maintenance and wear items are gearbox related. There are some really interesting developments going on in electric mult-rotor designs--full size drones essentially.
>
> And Tesla seems to be doing fine without any of our tax dollars.
>
> --Rick
>
> On 6/21/2017 4:22 PM, Tim Yoder wrote:
>>
>> Why would you choose to buy a Cole powered car with gas near $2.00 / gal.
>> headed toward $1.00 for the next several years. Tesla will require a few
>> more billions of our tax dollars to stay afloat. Look what has happened to
>> the solar plants. T. Boone Pickens gave up on wind power after spending
>> millions of his own money.
>> Tim
>> --

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

it's about 30%.

Do you think the percentage of energy you can get out of a battery into useful propulsion is much better?

On Jun 21, 2017, at 21:28, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Well for starters, you conveniently leave out the percentage of the gasoline's energy that actually propels the plane. I won't go any farther; doesn't seem to be any point.

Charlie

[quote] On 6/21/2017 8:07 PM, Alec Myers wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 8:16 PM, Rick Beebe <rick(at)beebe.org> wrote:
>
>
>
> My 2 electric cars are powered by solar panels on my roof, not by coal. I choose it because it's still less expensive than gasoline, doesn't fund terrorist countries and doesn't pollute the atmosphere. Plus they're fun to drive. When I drive regular cars now, I despise the noise and vibration.
>
> I'm excited about the explorations of electric aviation. Of course battery technology is still too heavy and limited to allow for anything beyond short flights right now (although battery capacity is increasing quite dramatically) however I think we could see some very cool hybrid applications. Designs can be innovative. Using electric motors to drive props and ducted fans can be far more efficient than using gear boxes or long odd drive shafts. Engines or turbines running generators can run at their most efficient speed instead of what's most efficient for the prop. Small battery banks can provide a buffer, allow "silent" taxiing and give emergency power in case the generator quits.
>
> I also think it could be ideal for helicopters since a large part of their maintenance and wear items are gearbox related. There are some really interesting developments going on in electric mult-rotor designs--full size drones essentially.
>
> And Tesla seems to be doing fine without any of our tax dollars.
>
> --Rick
>
>
>
>> On 6/21/2017 4:22 PM, Tim Yoder wrote:
>>
>> Why would you choose to buy a Cole powered car with gas near $2.00 / gal.
>> headed toward $1.00 for the next several years. Tesla will require a few
>> more billions of our tax dollars to stay afloat. Look what has happened to
>> the solar plants. T. Boone Pickens gave up on wind power after spending
>> millions of his own money.
>> Tim
>> --

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Future of flight... Reply with quote

oops. You're right. I guess it just seems like 700 billion, after watching that fiasco for so long.

To return the favor; slight correction to your evaluation; it was *marketed* as a model for environmental technology to create a clean coal power plant. Talk about alternate facts....

On 6/21/2017 8:19 PM, William Greenley wrote:

[quote] Slight correction, total cost is now looking at just over 7 billion, not 700 billion. It was supposed to be a model for environmental technology to create a clean coal power plant.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 8:33 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

Cole who? And why would he want to power my car? As to T. Boone, it might be worthwhile to expand your news sources a bit, to get a better picture.

If you want to see a real tax dollar, and lobbied-government-forced-consumer dollar boondoggle, google 'Kemper County coal power plant'. Current (pardon the pun) construction spending total (and it's not over yet) that is roughly five Hundred BILLION dollars *over budget* at >$700Billion, and they have conceded that they can never burn coal there economically so they have shifted to natural gas. The rate payers in that plant's service area were forced to pre-fund a huge percentage of that cost, until the Public Service Commission was forced to realize that the consumers it was supposed to serve were being ripped off.

Do the math. A significant percentage of their customer base could have had 30KW (gross overkill) solar systems *complete with battery storage & generator backup*, for the money wasted on that plant.

I'm always amazed that people closely tied to tech (airplanes and what powers them) don't believe in how quickly tech advances....

Charlie

[quote] --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Tim Yoder" <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com (ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com)>

Tim

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: