Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nose gear leg fairing - tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Nose gear leg fairing - tip Reply with quote

I've got 7.5 hours on the plane and about 2 weeks ago I decided to take it down for a bit to put the pants and fairings on.

That nose leg fairing was a bear for me. The pin just didn't want to slide into the hinge halves. And when I did get it sliding, keeping the two halves nested wasn't easy..... especially the further down it went.

Then it dawned on me.... I could take another hinge pin and slide it up from the bottom as far as I could get it to align that bottom half. While at the same time inserting the pin front the top.

I couldn't push the alignment pin out with the top pin, but I could pull the alignment pin out and inch or two at a time and then chase it with the top pin.

It's still not super slick to slide in, but it sure did take away the frustration and that's 99% of the battle IMO.

Just sharing so others might use it later on to fit their fairings. Nose wheel pant has to be removed to do it.

Worked well.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
bdgillespie215(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Nose gear leg fairing - tip Reply with quote

I use Boelube (solid) on my pins for the same reason. One of my cowl pins is tight and the lube helps with the effort. Just another option to help.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jun 24, 2017, at 1:23 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I've got 7.5 hours on the plane and about 2 weeks ago I decided to take it down for a bit to put the pants and fairings on.

That nose leg fairing was a bear for me. The pin just didn't want to slide into the hinge halves. And when I did get it sliding, keeping the two halves nested wasn't easy..... especially the further down it went.

Then it dawned on me.... I could take another hinge pin and slide it up from the bottom as far as I could get it to align that bottom half. While at the same time inserting the pin front the top.

I couldn't push the alignment pin out with the top pin, but I could pull the alignment pin out and inch or two at a time and then chase it with the top pin.

It's still not super slick to slide in, but it sure did take away the frustration and that's 99% of the battle IMO.

Just sharing so others might use it later on to fit their fairings. Nose wheel pant has to be removed to do it.

Worked well.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: