Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rv10 yaw damper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woxofswa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Ever since Dynon came out with the Y/D option for the Rv10, i have been interested. As I have investigated the prospect, however, there is something a bit odd about the issue that I would like to clarify before I commit.
Dynon openly markets their part of the package for both the 10 and the 14.

Dynon sells the servo and the control arm kit for the package and tells you that you have to get the "bracket kit" from Van's.

This is the part where it seems a little strange. When you contact Van's about a bracket kit for the yaw damper, they will tell you that they have a kit and that it sells for $160. That in its own right seems high by Van's standards for a servo bracket when their other servo brackets sell for $118, but that's not the primary issue. What seems odd to me is that Van's will tell you that the bracket kit they sell is for the RV14. Hmmm. They will tell you that the bracket "should" be able to be used for a 10 "with some modification". If you ask if the are instructions included for the 10 modification they emphatically say no.
This doesn't seem right to me. There are at least 10 times the rv10's out there than 14's. Because of the whole theory of yaw dampening anyway, it seems like the bulk of the benefit would be for the rear pax in the 10. Even as the most expensive model in the fleet, it stands to reason that the market potential for the 10 is greater for the product.
It seems to me that if extensive design and testing work were done to create this for the 14, there must be some artificial reason that it isn't being directly marketed "openly" for the 10.
The whole process just seems outside of Van's usual superb way of design and marketing. Like there is something holding them back, or more to the story, but they can't/won't say what it is. Hopefully it is something innocuous, but I would like to know before taking the plunge.

Has anyone actually installed the package in a 10? Pireps?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

mhealydds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

I had the same initial thoughts as you but, two weekends ago I installed it anyway after assurance from Vans and Rob at AFS (who has been flying with ti for over a year he said) that the Vans kits would work. I am happy to report everything worked out well. The bulk head for the -14 and the -10 is apparently the same in that area so it fits OK. There really is no modification other than the wiring scheme (looks like a series of molex connections in -14) that is sold with the -14 with not wrok on the -10, but all structural components fit fine. The yaw damper works great, but I do have to admit it is a bit pricey after Vans kit, Dynon tiller arm (150.00), and new servo. It added about four pounds to the plane which was not a huge deal for me. Bottom line every thing install pretty easy....the Vans bracket kit essentially bolts onto existing bell crank brackets and you will have to run new ground and power to new servo but can share serial and data lines with elevator servo and then you are good to go and a short calibration procedure.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Interesting discussion.  Does anyone really need it?
I plan on using a RC servo hooked to trim hinge on rudder (because I can) ..... and had not heard of yaw damper .....
Linn
Sent from Samsung tablet cruising on the Allure Of The Seas.
-------- Original message --------
From mhealydds <mhealydds(at)gmail.com>
Date: 06/30/2017 7:42 AM (GMT-05:00)
To rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject RV10-List: Re: Rv10 yaw damper

--> RV10-List message posted by: "mhealydds" <mhealydds(at)gmail.com>

I had the same initial thoughts as you but, two weekends ago I installed it anyway after assurance from Vans and Rob at AFS (who has been flying with ti for over a year he said) that the Vans kits would work. I am happy to report everything worked out well. The bulk head for the -14 and the -10 is apparently the same in that area so it  fits OK. The yaw damper works great, but I do have to admit it is a bit pricey after Vans kit, Dynon tiller arm (150.00), and new servo. It added about four pounds to the plane which was not a huge deal for me. Bottom line every thing install pretty easy....the Vans bracket kit essentially bolts onto existing bell crank brackets and you will have to run new ground and power to new servo but can share serial and data lines with elevator servo and then you are good to go and a short calibration procedure.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=470607#470607
_-============================================================
_-=          - The RV10-List Email Forum -
_-= Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse
_-= the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription,
_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
_-=
_-=               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-=   --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-=              - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!
_-=   --> http://wiki.matronics.com
_-=             - List Contribution Web Site -
_-=  Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

woxofswa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Thanks Mhealy.

Nice to know that it's an easy adaptation. Still seems odd that they can't remove the (useless to 10 owners) electrical connection stuff, reduce the price accordingly, and create a bona fide 10 kit. I would hate to think that they see selling unnecessary material as a revenue generator.
Hope your tail is less swishy in the bumps.

bob(at)thelefflers.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Historically on the the RV-10 the consensus is that it isn't needed.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:21:54 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Re: Rv10 yaw damper

Interesting discussion. Does anyone really need it?
I plan on using a RC servo hooked to trim hinge on rudder (because I can) ..... and had not heard of yaw damper .....
Linn

>From mhealydds <mhealydds(at)gmail.com>
To rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject Re: Rv10 yaw damper

--> RV10-List message posted by: "mhealydds" <mhealydds(at)gmail.com>

I had the same initial thoughts as you but, two weekends ago I installed it anyway after assurance from Vans and Rob at AFS (who has been flying with ti for over a year he said) that the Vans kits would work. I am happy to report everything worked out well. The bulk head for the -14 and the -10 is apparently the same in that area so it fits OK. The yaw damper works great, but I do have to admit it is a bit pricey after Vans kit, Dynon tiller arm (150.00), and new servo. It added about four pounds to the plane which was not a huge deal for me. Bottom line every thing install pretty easy....the Vans bracket kit essentially bolts onto existing bell crank brackets and you will have to run new ground and power to new servo but can share serial and data lines with elevator servo and then you are good to go and a short calibration procedure.

===========
Email Forum -
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========

civengpe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Needed? No. 

Awesome? Heck yes!

I decided to install a yaw dampener, because I feared cutting my beautifully straight rudder to accommodate an electric trim tab. It was relatively inexpensive ($800) compared to the rest of the gizmos on the plane and has been amazing in use.  
Last week we encountered some really bad turbulence coming into Houston and the ball stayed centered no matter how much we we're getting tossed around. 
In the end, this falls into the personal preference realm. 
If I were to build another -10 I would do the yaw dampener hands down. 
Shannon

On Jun 30, 2017 12:08 PM, "Bob Leffler" <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Interesting discussion.  Does anyone really need it?
Linn

>From mhealydds <mhealydds(at)gmail.com (mhealydds(at)gmail.com)>
To rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

--> RV10-List message posted by: "mhealydds" <mhealydds(at)gmail.com (mhealydds(at)gmail.com)>

I had the same initial thoughts as you but, two weekends ago I installed it anyway after assurance from Vans and Rob at AFS (who has been flying with ti for over a year he said) that the Vans kits would work. I am happy to report everything worked out well. The bulk head for the -14 and the -10 is apparently the same in that area so it  fits OK. The yaw damper works great, but I do have to admit it is a bit pricey after Vans kit, Dynon tiller arm (150.00), and new servo. It added about four pounds to the plane which was not a huge deal for me. Bottom line every thing install pretty easy....the Vans bracket kit essentially bolts onto existing bell crank brackets and you will have to run new ground and power to new servo but can share serial and data lines with elevator servo and then you are good to go and a short calibration procedure.

===========
Email Forum -
===========
p;   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
===========
p;  - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
===========
p;                  -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========

kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Does the yaw damper take care of rudder trim without the automatic trim box?

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Shannon Hicks <civeng123(at)gmail.com (civeng123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Needed? No. 

Awesome? Heck yes!

I decided to install a yaw dampener, because I feared cutting my beautifully straight rudder to accommodate an electric trim tab. It was relatively inexpensive ($800) compared to the rest of the gizmos on the plane and has been amazing in use.  
Last week we encountered some really bad turbulence coming into Houston and the ball stayed centered no matter how much we we're getting tossed around. 
Shannon

On Jun 30, 2017 12:08 PM, "Bob Leffler" <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>

Linn

--> RV10-List message posted by: "mhealydds" <mhealydds(at)gmail.com (mhealydds(at)gmail.com)>

===========
Email Forum -
===========
===========
===========
===========

--
Thanks,
Kevin

civengpe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

It works independently of the roll auto trim. At least I'd does on the trutrak system. 

Shannon

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:47 PM Kevin Belue <kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com (kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Shannon Hicks <civeng123(at)gmail.com (civeng123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Needed? No. 

Awesome? Heck yes!

Shannon

Quote:

Get Outlook for iOS

Linn

===========
Email Forum -
===========
===========
===========
===========

--
Thanks,
Kevin

philperry9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Does the AP have to be engaged? Or can it be enabled without engaging the AP?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 30, 2017, at 1:49 PM, Shannon Hicks <civeng123(at)gmail.com (civeng123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
It works independently of the roll auto trim. At least I'd does on the trutrak system.

Shannon

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:47 PM Kevin Belue <kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com (kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Needed? No.

Awesome? Heck yes!

Shannon

Quote:

Get Outlook for iOS

Linn

I had the same initial thoughts as you but, two weekends ago I installed it anyway after assurance from Vans and Rob at AFS (who has been flying with ti for over a year he said) that the Vans kits would work. I am happy to report everything worked out well. The bulk head for the -14 and the -10 is apparently the same in that area so it fits OK. The yaw damper works great, but I do have to admit it is a bit pricey after Vans kit, Dynon tiller arm (150.00), and new servo. It added about four pounds to the plane which was not a huge deal for me. Bottom line every thing install pretty easy....the Vans bracket kit essentially bolts onto existing bell crank brackets and you will have to run new ground and power to new servo but can share serial and data lines with elevator servo and then you are good to go and a short calibration procedure.

===========
Email Forum -
===========
===========
===========
===========

--
Thanks,
Kevin

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

There is another way that's even cheaper. I didn't want to cut my rudder either so I used the stock elevator spring bias system to make a rudder spring bias system.
2 pieces of cable are attached to the rudder at the horn. One goes directly to the spring but the other goes to a pulley and then to the other spring. I mounted the pulley on a bracket bolted to the back of the battery tray/elevator bellcrank box.
The stock elevator spring bias assy is not modified and bolts to the bottom skin straddling a stringer.
In practice right rudder is not normally needed but long, fast descents need some left.
(Another builder uses a spring bias system attached to the rudder pedals.)
Albert Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ
Shannon Hicks

Shannon

Trim_System_c.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.17 KB
 Viewed:  18218 Time(s)

Trim_System_c.JPG

Rudder_Attachment.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.2 KB

Rudder_Attachment.JPG

Trim_System_b_(Small).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.37 KB

Trim_System_b_(Small).JPG

rv10(at)texasrv10.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

On Garmin, there is a yaw button to engage the yaw system. The yaw system trims to release pressure to appropriate required hands off trim. Works fantastic.

Gaylon Koenning

On Jun 30, 2017, at 13:58, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Does the AP have to be engaged? Or can it be enabled without engaging the AP?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 30, 2017, at 1:49 PM, Shannon Hicks <civeng123(at)gmail.com (civeng123(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Shannon

Quote:
Quote:
Needed? No. 

Awesome? Heck yes!

Shannon

Quote:

Get Outlook for iOS

Linn

===========
Email Forum -
===========
===========
===========
===========

--
Thanks,
Kevin

civengpe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Phil,My set up requires the AP do be engaged for the YD to function.  I believe Garmin and TruTrak have a button to engage the YD independently.  IN prctice, I fly with AP on 90% of the time, so it works for me.  I flew almost my entire phase 1 (40) with it disconnected and the only time, It bothered me was long straight flights where I would have the AP on anyway.  
OH, that reminds me, My roll servo failed leaving Sun-n-fun this year, so I had to hand fly all the way back to Houston with 45kt headwinds.  THAT SUCKED!!!!
On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Does the AP have to be engaged?   Or can it be enabled without engaging the AP?

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Shannon

Quote:
Quote:
Needed? No. 

Awesome? Heck yes!

Shannon

Quote:

Get Outlook for iOS

Linn

===========
Email Forum -
===========
===========
===========
===========

--
Thanks,
Kevin

mhealydds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

On dynon/AFS system AP has to be engaged for yaw damper to work...at least with the update I have on my AFS. I had a spring based system before installing yaw damper which I kept in place for when not flying with autopilot but MUCH prefer the yaw damper that I recently put it. A necessity no, a bit pricey maybe, but would not go back at this point

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Any reason the YD servo couldn't use same power and ground as the elevator servo?

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 4:42 AM, mhealydds <mhealydds(at)gmail.com (mhealydds(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I had the same initial thoughts as you but, two weekends ago I installed it anyway after assurance from Vans and Rob at AFS (who has been flying with ti for over a year he said) that the Vans kits would work. I am happy to report everything worked out well. The bulk head for the -14 and the -10 is apparently the same in that area so it  fits OK. The yaw damper works great, but I do have to admit it is a bit pricey after Vans kit, Dynon tiller arm (150.00), and new servo. It added about four pounds to the plane which was not a huge deal for me. Bottom line every thing install pretty easy...the Vans bracket kit essentially bolts onto existing bell crank brackets and you will have to run new ground and power to new servo but can share serial and data lines with elevator servo and then you are good to go and a short calibration procedure.

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

No reason at all. For the Dynon servo, you would just need to run an extra wire for the yellow, so the YD can be turned on/off separately.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
Sent from my iPad

On Jul 1, 2017, at 9:10 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Any reason the YD servo couldn't use same power and ground as the elevator servo?

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 4:42 AM, mhealydds <mhealydds(at)gmail.com (mhealydds(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

woxofswa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XGkzgT9ONmZDAFB33

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/XGkzgT9ONmZDAFB33[/img]

Unless I just have an anomaly, I may have discovered the mysterious reason that "slight modification" must be done to use the 14 designated Y/D bracket kit on a -10.

The Y/D bracket is supposed to sandwich in-between the pitch servo bracket and the tunnel cover plate which are already mated up. The two aft holes, however, are about 1/16 of an inch wider on the Y/D bracket forcing you to elongate the hole inward to match up.
Considering the absolute deadnuts accuracy there has been in everything else, I have to imagine that they know this. It is too far off to fit but close enough for the screw to barely catch a thread or two. A simple note in the instructions could save some tailcone imbedded frustration and perhaps, a stripped nutplate that would be a bugger to replace.

woxofswa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT SETTINGS.

In the absence of further guidance, I tried my Y/D out this morning with the default settings. Holy Crap I thought the tail was going to come off it was oscillating back and forth so forcefully. I was grateful for the additional disconnect switch. On the ground, I called support and left a message. In the meantime I found a thread by "GaryK" on the Dynon forum. I tried his settings and it worked great. Much different than the default settings.
As an example, his AY gain is .005 and the default was 1.0!
the sensitivity was also 10 compared to his 4. Below are his settings which I highly recommend as a starting point. I mentioned same to Dynon when they returned my call.

Settings are:
Torque. 90
Sensitivity 4
Rudder Gain .2
Rudder Rate 0.020
AY Gain 0.005

mhealydds

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Do you have sky view or AFS EFIS. I have AFS and default setting seem to be fine. I wondered if yours was skyview or I better check mine closer.

woxofswa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

I have SkyView. They just posted new default parameters on the Dynon forum. They said there was an update glitch causing the defaults to get askew.

Kellym

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Rv10 yaw damper Reply with quote

Myron has the Skyview EFIS.

On 7/18/2017 7:34 PM, mhealydds wrote:
Quote:

Do you have sky view or AFS EFIS. I have AFS and default setting seem to be fine. I wondered if yours was skyview or I better check mine closer.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471147#471147

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: