Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto fuel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Auto fuel Reply with quote

American Auto fuel is NOT high enough Octane for the Jabiru.

I was using 92 Oct. Non Ethanol Marine fuel with an Octane booster.
The booster would break down unless it was used quickly.
The engine requires 95 Oct RON which is about 3 points higher than 95 Oct.MON ( American Rating ).
Using Auto fuel in a high compression engine will cause detonation.

Also most Bing carburetors lean the mixture between 2500 and 2800 RPM.
Watch your EGT and CHT. I am running a 260 main jet and 290 plus .002 Needle jet and I still can not operate in those RPM ranges.

Bobby ( age 79 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru  3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 290 Plus .002 Needle Jet
Status - Flying 280 hrs.
Do Not Archive

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
dringoli(at)morrisbb.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Auto fuel Reply with quote

The American system is AKI (antiknock index) and is listed on the pumps . The Australian system is RON (research octane number ) . According to the published conversion charts RON x .95 = AKI .
So the requirement of 95 RON from Jabiru equates to 90 AKI . Ethanol free high test has a 93 AKI rating which is well above the requirement for the engine . Regular 87 AKI and mid grade 89 AKI are NOT suitable for the engine .

Leo Dringoli
  Corby Starlet
  Jabiru 2200

Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:06 AM
To: Server, JabiruEngine-List Digest
Subject: Auto fuel

The engine requires 95 Oct RON which is about 3 points higher than 95 Oct.MON ( American Rating ).

Watch your EGT and CHT. I am running a 260 main jet and 290 plus .002 Needle jet and I still can not operate in those RPM ranges.

Bobby ( age 79 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 290 Plus .002 Needle Jet
Status - Flying 280 hrs.

Do Not Archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Auto Fuel Reply with quote

Sorry I had the Ron and AKI ratings reversed.

It's an age thing.

Still the engine runs a lot better on 100LL Av gas.

bobby

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Auto fuel Reply with quote

I agree completely with Bobby,mostly because I do not trust the oil companies to maintain quality control with such a narrow margin to play with.Nothing but 100LL in my 2200A S/N1295 1030 hrs G.Aman( same age as Bobby)
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2017, at 7:06 AM, BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net) wrote:
Bobby ( age 79 )Zodiac 601 XL "B"Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141Sensenich 64" x 51" PropBing Carb 260 Main & 290 Plus .002 Needle JetStatus - Flying 280 hrs.
Do Not Archive

rpf(at)wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Auto Fuel Reply with quote

I put 1200 hours on my Jabiru 3300 and now 300 on my Camit 3300 using auto gas(with the occasional use of 100LL when away from my home airport) both engines have run fantastic.

Randy

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 8:18 AM
Subject: Auto Fuel

It's an age thing.

bobby

matronics(at)rtist.nl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Auto Fuel Reply with quote

Not as many hours, but same sequence (Jabiru, then CAMit), same fuel (always mogas, except when not avbl), and same result (runs great).

Rob

On 7/17/2017 3:23 PM, Randy wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I put 1200 hours on my Jabiru 3300 and now 300 on my Camit 3300 using auto gas(with the occasional use of 100LL when away from my home airport) both engines have run fantastic.

Randy

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net)
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 8:18 AM
Subject: Auto Fuel

It's an age thing.

bobby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: