Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maintenance concerns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenpkimball

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Maintenance concerns Reply with quote

I'm still working on my certificate, I've been delayed several times due to circumstances. I've been training in a taildragger, but flew a couple of times with Ross Kennedy before
B-Bar-D shut down, and really like the Allegro.

I'm not really a competent mechanic. With low or no sales lately and the way B-Bar-D
closed without warning, I'm concerned about being stuck with an unflyable plane. Any advice on available parts and maintenance will be appreciated.

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
N456TS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Maintenance concerns Reply with quote

First off, if you're not a mechanic, then you shouldn't be working on anything despite having or lacking factory support. It's important to have someone else handle that for you. So many failures are rooted improper maintenance.

At this time, LSA America (Allegro) does still exist.

But let's assume they disappear and no one is willing, or able, to provide the factory support required by the FAA. If you have an E-LSA, nothing happens. If you have an S-LSA, you will be forced to convert to E-LSA at your expense. When that is complete, you can fly again.
Service -
The Rotax 912 engine is a standard and very popular engine. Rotax parts and service are independent of the airframe. There are 3 main distributors in the US and plenty of folks who can work on them. But make sure they really do know how to work on them. It's closer to a 90's era automotive engine, then an aircraft engine. Very simple engines.
Prop: It's a Woodcomp Klassic 160. SportAir USA is the US dealer.
Avionics/general bits... It's all off the shelf parts. If you have a Dynon, you contact them, etc. Need fuel line, Aircraft Spruce has it. Really, they have virtually everything you need. ELT, tires, brakes...same thing and so on. In this scenario, the airplane is an experimental. You can change anything you need to. For example, if you simply can't find a replacement gascolator, you can swap it out for a more common one. The older flap motor setup is...interesting, but switches can be sourced and I believe the motor is a wiper motor? The newer flap motor is a linear actuator commercially available (I'd have to lookup the P/N again). The motor controller is available on eBay and Northern Tool.

The final issue is the airframe itself and that's where it gets harder.
Say you damage a main gear leg. That's a fully custom part. Aircraft Spruce can't help you with that. They are/were at one point made by Composit Airplanes in Czech Republic (compositairplanes.cz). They might be willing to produce it and send it to you directly. If they're unable or unwilling, the part can be made. It will just cost a lot more and you have to find someone willing to put the time into to make a correct copy with the internal rubber and correct layering. Then on to the hull itself. For the most part, you can repair composite pretty well. You just need someone who knows how to do it correctly. If you damage metal, once again, usually pretty easy to repair with the right know how. The key is finding someone with the right skill sets.

But with all that said, LSA America is still alive and hopefully won't be going anywhere. I hope this answers some questions. It's 2:30 AM, so some of this may not make sense.

Do you recall the tail number of the Allegro you flew with Ross?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ninja007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Maintenance concerns Reply with quote

That makes a good sense to me!

stevenpkimball

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Maintenance concerns Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I flew with Ross in 192AW, the 2000 model.

I have no intention of attempting my own maintenance, other than simple things like oil change, but wanted to make sure parts & service are available. I'm in Columbia SC, and my brother lives in Roxboro NC, not too far from Littleton.

I drove up 3 hours to fly with Ross, to get past a problem with flare on landing. Helped a lot. I'm training in a taildragger, 1946 Aeronca Champ, adverse yaw is almost identical to the Allegro. Flying & landing the Allegro seemed felt natural.

I want to get my certificate though before I buy anything. Right now training is on hold while my wife is being treated for cancer. She's my only priority until she recovers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: