Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twinstar fuel tank options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Got to thinking about replacing my tank (which did actually crack sitting here in the ground) and tried to call Kolb last week but I guess they were gone to OSH.  Wondered if I could find it 'online' & found what you see here. On left is a virtually exact replacement, except for the included capped vent on the handle (missing on the original). Less than $13 plus shipping. On the right is an 8 gallon tank from the same vendor. A bit more expensive, but still not bad. Bigger versions got closer to $100, so I didn't order 'samples'; at least not yet.

Not to start a 'feeder war', but how many of you are using top feed tanks? I'm looking forward to the re-fueling process, and being able to pull the cap/feed tube & sit the can on the ground seems like a much easier way to fuel the plane. What say the experienced?
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

fuel_tanks_old_new_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.68 KB
 Viewed:  12235 Time(s)

fuel_tanks_old_new_(Medium).jpg

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

I think this a matter of personal preference. I prefer stationary mounting. I don't enjoy restrapping a heavy tank back in place every time. You must have an original Twinstar. The Twinstar MKII like I built had the fuel tanks (2) mounted behind you with a covered firewall so they really couldn't be removed.
In the early days, 1983, ultralighters who flew Phantoms and Avengers use to use top feeders with flexible fuel hose inside the the tank with weighted ends on them for aerobatics and inverted flight . The fuel pickup hose could move from bottom air feeder to top feeder. They also equipped the engines with pumper type carbs for sustained inverted flight. Was never my bag.
I just prefer not taken things apart and putting them back together. That's just my input. You know how opinions go. Whatever works for you.
George H.
Firestar , FS100
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Have a great day!

Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, at 12:42 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

yet.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Yep; very early kit. Hard to visualize either under-wing or over-the-top fueling, with the fill neck a few inches under the wing. It's tempting to mount that 8gal tank on the boom tube, under the engine, if it won't cause cg issues.
I enjoy acro, but I think I'll control the urge while flying this one. Smile
Thanks for the insight.
Sent from BlueMail
On Jul 31, 2017, at 4:10 PM, George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com>I think this a matter of personal preference. I prefer stationary mounting. I don't enjoy restrapping a heavy tank back in place every time. You must have an original Twinstar. The Twinstar MKII like I built had the fuel tanks (2) mounted behind you with a covered firewall so they really couldn't be removed. In the early days, 1983, ultralighters who flew Phantoms and Avengers use to use top feeders with flexible fuel hose inside the the tank with weighted ends on them for aerobatics and inverted flight . The fuel pickup hose could move from bottom air feeder to top feeder. They also equipped the engines with pumper type carbs for sustained inverted flight. Was never my bag. I just prefer not taken things apart and putting them back together. That's just my input. You know how opinions go. Whatever works for you.George H.Firestar , FS10014GDHMesick, Michigan gdhelton(at)gmail.comHave a great day!
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, at 12:42 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote: yet.

mojaveclimber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Air-Tech Inc Ultralights sells a 10 gallon fuel tank. I purchased and
installed two tanks on my Kolb Mk3 and am very happy with the now 20 gallon
fuel capacity.

https://www.air-techinc.com/product_detail.php?pid=1079

Jim

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

[quote] Yep; very early kit. Hard to visualize either under-wing or over-the-top
fueling, with the fill neck a few inches under the wing. It's tempting to
mount that 8gal tank on the boom tube, under the engine, if it won't cause
cg issues.

Thanks for the insight.

Sent from BlueMail <http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=10215>
On Jul 31, 2017, at 4:10 PM, George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I think this a matter of personal preference. I prefer stationary mounting. I don't enjoy restrapping a heavy tank back in place every time. You must have an original Twinstar. The Twinstar MKII like I built had the fuel tanks (2) mounted behind you with a covered firewall so they really couldn't be removed.
> In the early days, 1983, ultralighters who flew Phantoms and Avengers use to use top feeders with flexible fuel hose inside the the tank with weighted ends on them for aerobatics and inverted flight . The fuel pickup hose could move from bottom air feeder to top feeder. They also equipped the engines with pumper type carbs for sustained inverted flight. Was never my bag

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Looks really nice, but they are quite proud of it. If you could have settled for 16 gal, you could have bought 2 ea 8 gal tanks for half what one of the Air-Tech 10 gal tanks costs ($30 each). US Plastic also has a 20 gal tank for ~$160.https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23334&catid=934

Charlie
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Jim Thomson <mojaveclimber(at)gmail.com (mojaveclimber(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Air-Tech Inc Ultralights sells a 10 gallon fuel tank.  I purchased and installed two tanks on my Kolb Mk3 and am very happy with the now 20 gallon fuel capacity.  
https://www.air-techinc.com/product_detail.php?pid=1079
Jim
On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Yep; very early kit. Hard to visualize either under-wing or over-the-top fueling, with the fill neck a few inches under the wing. It's tempting to mount that 8gal tank on the boom tube, under the engine, if it won't cause cg issues.
Thanks for the insight.
Sent from BlueMail
On Jul 31, 2017, at 4:10 PM, George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)>I think this a matter of personal preference. I prefer stationary mounting. I don't enjoy restrapping a heavy tank back in place every time. You must have an original Twinstar. The Twinstar MKII like I built had the fuel tanks (2) mounted behind you with a covered firewall so they really couldn't be removed. In the early days, 1983, ultralighters who flew Phantoms and Avengers use to use top feeders with flexible fuel hose inside the the tank with weighted ends on them for aerobatics and inverted flight . The fuel pickup hose could move from bottom air feeder to top feeder. They also equipped the engines with pumper type carbs for sustained inverted flight. Was never my bag. I just prefer not taken things apart and putting them back together. That's just my input. You know how opinions go. Whatever works for you.George H.Firestar , FS10014GDHMesick, Michigan gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)Have a great day!
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, at 12:42 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote: yet.

Jerry-TS-MkII

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Needing fuel tanks or tank for a recent MK II purchase, I looked at the US Plastics listings. All say "Not for Fuel". Does anyone have experience using these? Or if they are OK to use?
Jerry

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

On 8/25/2017 10:56 AM, Jerry-TS-MkII wrote:
Quote:

Needing fuel tanks or tank for a recent MK II purchase, I looked at the US Plastics listings. All say "Not for Fuel". Does anyone have experience using these? Or if they are OK to use?
Jerry

The 5 gal tank you buy from Kolb is also 'not for fuel'. It's just a 5

gal chemical jug. That is not just from observation of the product; it's
straight from the horse's mouth at Kolb, as of a couple of weeks ago.

If you want a truly fuel rated tank, US plastics has those, too. They
just cost about 4 times as much. Look for 'CARB' rated tanks on the web
site. But all you're really getting for the money is a sticker on the
tank. None of the tanks used in experimental a/c are 'approved' for
fuel, because the haven't paid to get some gov. official's 'seal of
approval'.

US Plastics also have all manner of fittings, vented/unvented caps,
bushings for the tanks (though those are a bit more expensive than from
the aviation suppliers), quick disconnects, etc.

But don't just take my advice without doing your own research; it's only
worth what you paid for it. Smile

Charlie

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Kolb Aircraft. Com
They can supply everything you need, including new rubber grommets. We need to support them all we can.
I built Twinstar MKII back in the late 80's. Flew it for about 4 years. It was a good airplane. What year is the Kolb you bought? Restoring can be a big job. I just finished restoring a original Firestar.
George H.
Firestar, FS 100
14GDH
Mesick, MI.
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Have a great day!

Quote:
On Aug 25, 2017, at 11:56 AM, Jerry-TS-MkII <12flybellaire(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Jerry

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=472172#472172

mojavjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Go to the fuel tank section of U S Plastics
Joe

To: "kolb-list" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 11:56:53 AM
Subject: Kolb-List: Re: Twinstar fuel tank options
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jerry-TS-MkII" <12flybellaire(at)gmail.com>
Jerry
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=472172#472172

Radegast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

The boating industry seems to have a good supply for fuel rated tanks.  My Mark II Twinstar has a 12 gallon tank.

Jerry-TS-MkII

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. My intent is to get this in the air before winter... to do a bit of flying,and find out what it might truly need. So the plastic tank(s) would only be temporary anyway. In looking inside the fuse, I think a inverted saddle tank, that goes under the boom would be ideal. But that also means vinyl ester, or aluminum/tig fabrication.. better for a winter project. Installation would be easy from below, and a "normal" fuel tank filler thru the side of the fabric would also be a nice addition. Something about two tanks sitting right behind my head.. not ideal. I'll do a search for tank installations or option photos asap. jr

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

Modifying a Twinstar is something that shouldn't be done without careful consideration? Mounting fuel under the boom tube could quite dangerous for two reasons. One is a radical shift in the CG of aircraft and the second is possibly rupturing of tank or tanks on bent or broken landing gear situations. The only thing wrong with the present placement behind you is, they're a pain in the rear to refuel. But, their placement is critical to prevent an aft CG situation. This is just my opinion from years of flying a MKII. If you post some pictures of your cage Assy. I'd look them over. I built mine according to the plans provided by Kolb.
George

Have a great day!

Quote:
On Aug 25, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Jerry-TS-MkII <12flybellaire(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the info. My intent is to get this in the air before winter... to do a bit of flying,and find out what it might truly need. So the plastic tank(s) would only be temporary anyway. In looking inside the fuse, I think a inverted saddle tank, that goes under the boom would be ideal. But that also means vinyl ester, or aluminum/tig fabrication.. better for a winter project. Installation would be easy from below, and a "normal" fuel tank filler thru the side of the fabric would also be a nice addition. Something about two tanks sitting right behind my head.. not ideal. I'll do a search for tank installations or option photos asap. jr

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=472180#472180

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Jerry-TS-MkII <12flybellaire(at)gmail.com (12flybellaire(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jerry-TS-MkII" <12flybellaire(at)gmail.com (12flybellaire(at)gmail.com)>

Thanks for the info.  My intent is to get this in the air before winter... to do a bit of flying,and find out what it might truly need.  So the plastic tank(s) would only be temporary anyway.  In looking inside the fuse, I think a inverted saddle tank, that goes under the boom would be ideal.  But that also means vinyl ester, or aluminum/tig fabrication. better for a winter project.  Installation would be easy from below, and a "normal" fuel tank filler thru the side of the fabric would also be a nice addition.  Something about two tanks sitting right behind my head.. not ideal.  I'll do a search for tank installations or option photos asap.  jr

Aluminum/tank sealant/rivets is also a reasonable option. Closed head 'pop' rivets are available, if you don't have bucking equipment. Attached is a pic of the US Plastics 8gal tank I'm fitting. I wish it would fit between the bracing & the boom tube, but it's just a bit too tall. So, it has to sit in the original location of the 5gal tank. I'll try facing the filler forward, and hope I can set up the root fairing so I can peel it off for fueling. If that doesn't work, I'll just turn it around so it's oriented like the original tank. My ideal choice would be a tank that fits under the bracing, sitting on the boom tube just behind the seats, with the filler pointing forward between the seats (original Twinstar with no enclosure).
If you don't mind the fueling inconvenience (my big gripe with the stock 'high' location) and intend to bottom-feed from the tanks, two of the US-P 5gal chemical tanks is by far the simplest, and cheapest way to go. Probably under $30 including shipping.

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

8gal_trial_fit_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  256.27 KB
 Viewed:  12063 Time(s)

8gal_trial_fit_(Medium).jpg

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Twinstar fuel tank options Reply with quote

I found this for fueling the Firefly. I mix the gas in the can, insert the
pump and then lift the can onto a stand sitting next to the fuselage. Then
just pump the fuel into the plane, no pouring involved.

With 4 AA batteries, it will move 5 gallons of gas in less than 3 minutes.
No Spills!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SBZRKEU/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

Stuart

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: