Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono brake line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Klein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Mono-drivers,

The brake line connects to the puck w/ a 90 degree elbow threaded fitting; the threads into the puck are British Standard Tapered Threads.

Can anyone tell me the size of this 90 degree elbow BST fitting…?…and…can anyone tell me the size and thread type on the other end of that elbow which connects to the brake line?

I ask these questions after just having ordered a stick-mounted Beringer HAB02 hand brake lever.

Fred

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
philipgeorge347(at)hotmai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Hi Fred
I think you will find that the elbow is M10x1.00 for the nylon pipe the other side being 1/8 BSPT x28 . The origin of these fittings along with the brake master cylinder was from a British Kart component supplier. Hope this helps.
Phil George G-EORJ mono

Sent from my Samsung device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 05/08/2017 04:29 (GMT+00:00)
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Mono brake line

--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com>

Mono-drivers,

The brake line connects to the puck w/ a 90 degree elbow threaded fitting; the threads into the puck are British Standard Tapered Threads.

Can anyone tell me the size of this 90 degree elbow BST fitting…?…and…can anyone tell me the size and thread type on the other end of that elbow which connects to the brake line?

I ask these questions after just having ordered a stick-mounted Beringer HAB02 hand brake lever.

Fred
===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Thanks much Phillip…F.
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2017, at 2:10 AM, philip george <philipgeorge347(at)hotmail.com (philipgeorge347(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
I think you will find that the elbow is M10x1.00 for the nylon pipe the other side being 1/8 BSPT x28 . The origin of these fittings along with the brake master cylinder was from a British Kart component supplier. Hope this helps.

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Fred, I have just fitted a Beringer wheel, brake, pressue limiter & brake lever to my plane. For me the beauty of the system resides in the wheel and brake, which save you 3kg and are claimed to be significantly more efficient than the standard kit. I have to say that fitting the brake lever to the stick didn't do it for me. I want the brake to be accessible from both seats. So I have produced a mod to mount the lever in more or less the same position as the standard one. So my question is why not go for the fullMonty? Then all the right fittings will turn up automatically!
Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2017-08-07 10:10, philip george wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fred
Phil George G-EORJ mono

-------- Original message -------- From: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> Date: 05/08/2017 04:29 (GMT+00:00) To: europa-list(at)matronics.com Subject: Mono brake line
--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> Mono-drivers, The brake line connects to the puck w/ a 90 degree elbow threaded fitting; the threads into the puck are British Standard Tapered Threads. Can anyone tell me the size of this 90 degree elbow BST fitting...?...and...can anyone tell me the size and thread type on the other end of that elbow which connects to the brake line? I ask these questions after just having ordered a stick-mounted Beringer HAB02 hand brake lever. Fred =========== st Email Forum - pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List =========== p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - ums.matronics.com =========== p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI - matronics.com =========== p; - List Contribution Web Site - p;    -Matt Dralle, List Admin. http://www.matronics.com/contribution ===========

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Hi David! How much did you pay for a complete Beringer system?
They look so beautiful (and that 3 kg is a lot!)!
Are they always anodized to wine red or can you choose your favourite colour by paying some extra?

Next time when you land here w/o cows we will have sauna so long, that you loose your weight another 3 kg Wink
and then get it rapidly back in the grill house!

Dear Fred!

Original mono brake lever works just fine - believe me!
My fingers are just like a bunch of dicks - I can still use easily together my brake & throttle (even though I'm left-handed).
Just design some kind of parking brake system (valve or mechanical).

Brake lever to the stick looks - sorry - unaesthetic. It´s something like a part from a cheap moped or so.
And they are.
As an architect you know - beauty first of all - safety, practicality and such a things come secondary...

(how about mind, sight or speech controlled brakes - this would be a sophisticated experimental solution)

Cheers, Raimo
OH-XRT Finland

allekirjoitus [/url]
(
info(at)rwm.fi)
davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) kirjoitti 7.8.2017 klo 19:04:

Quote:

Fred, I have just fitted a Beringer wheel, brake, pressue limiter & brake lever to my plane. For me the beauty of the system resides in the wheel and brake, which save you 3kg and are claimed to be significantly more efficient than the standard kit. I have to say that fitting the brake lever to the stick didn't do it for me. I want the brake to be accessible from both seats. So I have produced a mod to mount the lever in more or less the same position as the standard one. So my question is why not go for the fullMonty? Then all the right fittings will turn up automatically!

Quote:
Hi Fred 
Phil George  G-EORJ mono

-------- Original message --------
From: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)
Date: 05/08/2017 04:29 (GMT+00:00)
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Mono brake line

--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)

Mono-drivers,

Can anyone tell me the size of this 90 degree elbow BST fitting...?...and...can anyone tell me the size and thread type on the other end of that elbow which connects to the brake line?

Fred
===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">[url=http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p;   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p;  - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;                  -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Raimo, It was something like £1200 for the whole system. I didn't see any colour option apart from the red in their catalogue, but I wasn't trying too hard as I like the red for the wheel.
Regards, David

On 2017-08-07 20:30, Raimo Toivio wrote:
Quote:

Hi David! How much did you pay for a complete Beringer system? They look so beautiful (and that 3 kg is a lot!)! Are they always anodized to wine red or can you choose your favourite colour by paying some extra? Next time when you land here w/o cows we will have sauna so long, that you loose your weight another 3 kg Wink and then get it rapidly back in the grill house! Dear Fred! Original mono brake lever works just fine - believe me! My fingers are just like a bunch of dicks - I can still use easily together my brake & throttle (even though I'm left-handed). Just design some kind of parking brake system (valve or mechanical). Brake lever to the stick looks - sorry - unaesthetic. It´s something like a part from a cheap moped or so. And they are. As an architect you know - beauty first of all - safety, practicality and such a things come secondary... (how about mind, sight or speech controlled brakes - this would be a sophisticated experimental solution) Cheers, Raimo OH-XRT Finland

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) kirjoitti 7.8.2017 klo 19:04:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi Fred
Phil George G-EORJ mono

-------- Original message -------- From: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> (fklein(at)orcasonline.com) Date: 05/08/2017 04:29 (GMT+00:00) To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com) Subject: Mono brake line
--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> (fklein(at)orcasonline.com) Mono-drivers, The brake line connects to the puck w/ a 90 degree elbow threaded fitting; the threads into the puck are British Standard Tapered Threads. Can anyone tell me the size of this 90 degree elbow BST fitting...?...and...can anyone tell me the size and thread type on the other end of that elbow which connects to the brake line? I ask these questions after just having ordered a stick-mounted Beringer HAB02 hand brake lever. Fred =========== st Email Forum - pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List =========== p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - ums.matronics.com =========== p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI - matronics.com =========== p; - List Contribution Web Site - p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin. http://www.matronics.com/contribution ===========

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Quote:
On Aug 7, 2017, at 12:30 PM, Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi (raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi)> wrote:
Original mono brake lever works just fine - believe me!

Raimo…I’ve no concerns about the functionality of the original brake…but my comfort level sinks when I don’t have a hand on the throttle…
Quote:
My fingers are just like a bunch of dicks - I can still use easily together my brake & throttle (even though I'm left-handed).

…happy that it works for you…
Quote:
Just design some kind of parking brake system (valve or mechanical).

…been there done that...
Quote:
Brake lever to the stick looks - sorry - unaesthetic. It´s something like a part from a cheap moped or so.And they are.

I’m satisfied that the Beringer unit is a fine piece of high-quality kit…
Quote:
As an architect you know - beauty first of all - safety, practicality and such a things come secondary…

…ha…glad to know you’re in high spirits…you must be brewing some good beer...
Quote:
(how about mind, sight or speech controlled brakes - this would be a sophisticated experimental solution)

…way beyond my comfort zone…

Cheers,

Fred

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Quote:
On Aug 7, 2017, at 9:04 AM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
So my question is why not go for the fullMonty? Then all the right fittings will turn up automatically!

David…ahh, if money were no object…Fred

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Fred,

I believe that I may have a Grove brake assembly back home in the hangar. I’m presently on holiday in Ruidoso, NM. When I return home again and can access the hangar I’ll see if I still have that brake. If I do I’ll let you know. It could make use of the new brake master much easier. Trying to assemble a group of brake fittings amongst the various US and Brit, Parallel and Taper, Pipe fittings was a maddening effort which was greatly simplified by simply replacing the Europa brake with a Grove unit.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Bob…that’s a very generous offer…thank you, and do let me know if in fact you have the Grove unit on hand.

As for the fittings, I’m told that the existing elbow on the Europa puck offers M10 x 1.0 male threads…this sounds like a common metric thread size…if so, I’m not sure I understand the magnitude of the problem in mating my Beringer unit (received and installed) to the Europa puck. Perhaps I’m missing something here?

fFred

Quote:
On Aug 13, 2017, at 2:51 PM, Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com> wrote:

Fred,

I believe that I may have a Grove brake assembly back home in the hangar. I’m presently on holiday in Ruidoso, NM. When I return home again and can access the hangar I’ll see if I still have that brake. If I do I’ll let you know. It could make use of the new brake master much easier. Trying to assemble a group of brake fittings amongst the various US and Brit, Parallel and Taper, Pipe fittings was a maddening effort which was greatly simplified by simply replacing the Europa brake with a Grove unit.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Fred,

I just returned home so I could look up what I did. The 90 deg fitting I used is 1/8" NPT on the threads. I found an old Matronics thread by Kevin Klinefelter that explained that you can easily retap the brake caliper to 1/8" NPT.

I chose to do this since I was concerned about the plastic hose for brake line. I replaced it with a stainless steel line and have had no problems.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

Fred, The Beringer brake fluid line is a much better item than the standard Europa tubing. It has an external stainless steel woven sheath. I have known the standard brake line to have been cut through when a mono was tied down in windy conditions with a rope round the starboard side of the U/C fork (mistake - should have put it on the port side!). I have 82" surplus if that would be enough for you, having run mine the short route from the conventional position.

On 2017-08-16 02:49, h&amp;jeuropa wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "h&amp;jeuropa" <butcher43(at)att.net (butcher43(at)att.net)>

Fred,

I just returned home so I could look up what I did. The 90 deg fitting I used is 1/8" NPT on the threads. I found an old Matronics thread by Kevin Klinefelter that explained that you can easily retap the brake caliper to 1/8" NPT.

I chose to do this since I was concerned about the plastic hose for brake line. I replaced it with a stainless steel line and have had no problems.

Jim

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471889#471889
ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ics.com
.com
.matronics.com/contribution

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Mono brake line Reply with quote

David…thank you for your kind offer. I’ve just ordered an elbow w/ BSPT on one end and JIC threads on the other w/ the intention of using SS sheathed PTFE brake line along w/ the banjo fitting…I think I’m good to go…Fred
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2017, at 5:23 AM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:

Fred, The Beringer brake fluid line is a much better item than the standard Europa tubing. It has an external stainless steel woven sheath. I have known the standard brake line to have been cut through when a mono was tied down in windy conditions with a rope round the starboard side of the U/C fork (mistake - should have put it on the port side!). I have 82" surplus if that would be enough for you, having run mine the short route from the conventional position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: