Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint vs Wrap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kearney

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Paint vs Wrap Reply with quote

Hi

A chap on the local field is wrapping his RV with vinyl rather using paint

Has anyone done this with a -10. If so was the result as expected? I'd be interested in knowing how long it took and what the cost was.

I have tried contacting Aircraft Wraps in Florida but haven't been able to get them to return a call.

Also, recommendations on a shop to see would be useful.

Cheers

Les

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Paint vs Wrap Reply with quote

I have seen one and wasn't impressed. It looked great online and in person it was a different story. Kinda like online dating........so I've been told. Smile

I don't know what the weight difference between the two would be, but I saw enough of the wrapped plane to know it's not anywhere close to a good (or even bad) paint job. And I can't imagine its any lighter than paint.

I suppose they'd be fine for accents and stripes, etc. But a full wrap leaves a whole lot to be desired....... unless you're just looking to attract attention online and not really let people see it in person. Smile

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2017, at 1:35 AM, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi

Has anyone done this with a -10. If so was the result as expected? I'd be interested in knowing how long it took and what the cost was.

I have tried contacting Aircraft Wraps in Florida but haven't been able to get them to return a call.

Cheers

Les

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471509#471509

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Paint vs Wrap Reply with quote

I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. The ones that I've seen don't rival even a poor paint job. For accent stripes, great, but anytime you plan to wrap it around something like the Cowl inlets, it's going to look like crap. The most I would do with vinyl is paint the airplane a single solid color, and then throw on vinyl striping. For that, it could be pretty nice. Especially for the N number, if you are like a buddy of mine who would really love to change his and number. Wink wink L.

Tim

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have seen one and wasn't impressed. It looked great online and in person it was a different story. Kinda like online dating........so I've been told. Smile

I don't know what the weight difference between the two would be, but I saw enough of the wrapped plane to know it's not anywhere close to a good (or even bad) paint job. And I can't imagine its any lighter than paint.

I suppose they'd be fine for accents and stripes, etc. But a full wrap leaves a whole lot to be desired....... unless you're just looking to attract attention online and not really let people see it in person. Smile

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 5, 2017, at 1:35 AM, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi
>
> A chap on the local field is wrapping his RV with vinyl rather using paint
>
> Has anyone done this with a -10. If so was the result as expected? I'd be interested in knowing how long it took and what the cost was.
>
> I have tried contacting Aircraft Wraps in Florida but haven't been able to get them to return a call.
>
> Also, recommendations on a shop to see would be useful.
>
> Cheers
>
> Les
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471509#471509
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

tomhanaway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Paint vs Wrap Reply with quote

Yeah L.
Wink

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. The ones that I've seen don't rival even a poor paint job. For accent stripes, great, but anytime you plan to wrap it around something like the Cowl inlets, it's going to look like crap. The most I would do with vinyl is paint the airplane a single solid color, and then throw on vinyl striping. For that, it could be pretty nice. Especially for the N number, if you are like a buddy of mine who would really love to change his and number. Wink wink L.

Tim

> On Aug 5, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I have seen one and wasn't impressed. It looked great online and in person it was a different story. Kinda like online dating........so I've been told. Smile
>
> I don't know what the weight difference between the two would be, but I saw enough of the wrapped plane to know it's not anywhere close to a good (or even bad) paint job. And I can't imagine its any lighter than paint.
>
> I suppose they'd be fine for accents and stripes, etc. But a full wrap leaves a whole lot to be desired....... unless you're just looking to attract attention online and not really let people see it in person. Smile
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 5, 2017, at 1:35 AM, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> A chap on the local field is wrapping his RV with vinyl rather using paint
>>
>> Has anyone done this with a -10. If so was the result as expected? I'd be interested in knowing how long it took and what the cost was.
>>
>> I have tried contacting Aircraft Wraps in Florida but haven't been able to get them to return a call.
>>
>> Also, recommendations on a shop to see would be useful.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Les
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471509#471509
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Paint vs Wrap Reply with quote

I wasn't impressed by the wraps either. Looks great on pictures. Still have to paint it or at least prime it and every unevenness in that shows through the vinyl.
And yeah N numbers are easier to change if they are not painted on with one color and two different shadows. But who changes N numbers anyway Smile
And who is this L. guy? Smile
tomhanaway wrote:

Yeah L.
Wink

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Tim Olson <Tim> wrote:

Tim

kearney

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint vs Wrap Reply with quote

Hmmm,

I don't know how we got to online dating from a thread on aircraft wrapping but I supposed that is a topic for another thread.

I appreciate the comments. I may try to check out examples that have been done by an aircraft wrap shop. I need to find a paint alternative as there are no paint shops near where I am..

Cheers

Les

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Paint vs Wrap Reply with quote

So what do you prime it with?? 8^))
Do you do a prime and base coat, or a two step epoxy primer without a base coat?
Or can you just polish the bare aluminum and wrap that.
Which brand and type of primer? It has to be at least 10 years since
the last primer wars. Wink

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't impressed by the wraps either. Looks great on pictures. Still have to paint it or at least prime it and every unevenness in that shows through the vinyl.
And yeah N numbers are easier to change if they are not painted on with one color and two different shadows. But who changes N numbers anyway Smile
And who is this L. guy? Smile

tomhanaway wrote:
>
> Yeah L.
> Wink
>
> Sent from my iPad
> > On Aug 5, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Tim Olson wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. The ones that I've seen don't rival even a poor paint job. For accent stripes, great, but anytime you plan to wrap it around something like the Cowl inlets, it's going to look like crap. The most I would do with vinyl is paint the airplane a single solid color, and then throw on vinyl striping. For that, it could be pretty nice. Especially for the N number, if you are like a buddy of mine who would really love to change his and number. Wink wink L.
> >
> > Tim
> >
--------
Lenny Iszak
Palm City, FL
2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs

Quote:
_-

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Paint vs Wrap Reply with quote

I maintain a -10 that is wrapped. It is not as nice as paint, probably, although I have not seen it after being washed, which would make a difference. The compound curves would be really hard, and the one I'm talking about has a painted cowl. I think you would be happier with paint.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2017, at 1:35 AM, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi

Cheers

Les

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471509#471509

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: