Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fwd: XP-82 Twin Mustang Project Tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jblake207(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Fwd: XP-82 Twin Mustang Project Tour Reply with quote

Folks,

I wanted to send one last notice about the fly-out planned for 19 August to tour the warbird restoration facility in Douglas, GA and get a VIP look at the XP-82 restoration project. See details below. This is an opportunity that doesn't come along often, so take the day off from honey-dos and come join us. Send Wayne Altman a note at waltman51(at)comcast.net (waltman51(at)comcast.net) if you are planning to attend. If you are planning to spend the night Friday or Saturday, here's a local hotel. I'll arrive Friday evening and depart Saturday afternoon following the tour and flying.

Hotel Information:
Holiday Inn Statesboro – University Area
455 Commerce Dr.
Statesboro, GA 30461
912-489-4545
Block Name: Red Star Pilots Association
Block Code: RSP
Online Reservation Link: Red Start Pilots Association Hotel Block
Cut-Off Date: 08/08/17

I'll send out a news update in a couple weeks, but until then be sure to mark your calendars for Swamp Fest October 12-15 in Waycross, GA (KAYS).

Stay safe my friends,
Saber

To: "Yak-List Digest" <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 8:20:21 AM
Subject: XP-82 Twin Mustang Project Tour

Fellow Warbird Enthusiasts,

I am very excited about the RPA's SE Region’s planned fly out event in Statesboro, GA (KTBR) on 19 AUGUST… Wayne Altman arranged an exceptionally interesting tour of a unique Warbird restoration facility in Douglas, GA including a meet and greet with renowned vintage aircraft restorer Tom Reilly and a walk around tour of his latest restoration project an XP-82 (see attached).

The op plan is to brief and have the first flight in the air by 1000 with a formation training hop over to Douglas, GA (DQH) for a tour of the XP-82 restoration facility, then formation training hop back to TBR for a quick lunch then back to flying. We’re gonna try to get in maybe three flights and wrap up about 1700. There will be plenty of water and soda to drink during the day as well as a $0.50 discount on fuel. If anyone wants to come in the day before or stay overnight Saturday Wayne blocked rooms at the nearby Holiday Inn express. Ask for the Red Star Pilot’s discount when you call 912-489-4545 to make your reservation.

Here’s a link to the backstory of the XP-82 Twin Mustang restoration project: http://airwingmedia.com/news/2013/north-american-xp-82-twin-mustang-restoration/

If you plan to attend, let Wayne know at [url=https://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/JAVASCRIPT-BLOCKEDwindow.top.ZmObjectManager.__doClickObject(document.getElementById(%22OBJ_PREFIX_DWT13914_com_zimbra_email%22));]waltman51(at)comcast.net[/url].

Stay safe my friends,
Saber

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

XP-82.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  404.27 KB
 Viewed:  2515 Time(s)

XP-82.png

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Fwd: XP-82 Twin Mustang Project Tour Reply with quote

Can't play. Wife has surgery on the 16th.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 8, 2017, at 3:21 PM, JON <jblake207(at)comcast.net (jblake207(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Folks,

I wanted to send one last notice about the fly-out planned for 19 August to tour the warbird restoration facility in Douglas, GA and get a VIP look at the XP-82 restoration project. See details below. This is an opportunity that doesn't come along often, so take the day off from honey-dos and come join us. Send Wayne Altman a note at waltman51(at)comcast.net (waltman51(at)comcast.net)  if you are planning to attend. If you are planning to spend the night Friday or Saturday, here's a local hotel. I'll arrive Friday evening and depart Saturday afternoon following the tour and flying.

Hotel Information:
Holiday Inn Statesboro – University Area
455 Commerce Dr.
Statesboro, GA 30461
912-489-4545
Block Name: Red Star Pilots Association
Block Code: RSP
Online Reservation Link: Red Start Pilots Association Hotel Block
Cut-Off Date: 08/08/17

I'll send out a news update in a couple weeks, but until then be sure to mark your calendars for Swamp Fest October 12-15 in Waycross, GA (KAYS).

Stay safe my friends,
Saber

From: "JON" <jblake207(at)comcast.net (jblake207(at)comcast.net)>
To: "Yak-List Digest" <yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)>

I am very excited about the RPA's SE Region’s planned fly out event in Statesboro, GA (KTBR) on 19 AUGUST… Wayne Altman arranged an exceptionally interesting tour of a unique Warbird restoration facility in Douglas, GA including a meet and greet with renowned vintage aircraft restorer Tom Reilly and a walk around tour of his latest restoration project an XP-82 (see attached).

The op plan is to brief and have the first flight in the air by 1000 with a formation training hop over to Douglas, GA (DQH) for a tour of the XP-82 restoration facility, then formation training hop back to TBR for a quick lunch then back to flying. We’re gonna try to get in maybe three flights and wrap up about 1700. There will be plenty of water and soda to drink during the day as well as a $0.50 discount on fuel. If anyone wants to come in the day before or stay overnight Saturday Wayne blocked rooms at the nearby Holiday Inn express. Ask for the Red Star Pilot’s discount when you call 912-489-4545 to make your reservation.

Here’s a link to the backstory of the XP-82 Twin Mustang restoration project: http://airwingmedia.com/news/2013/north-american-xp-82-twin-mustang-restoration/

If you plan to attend, let Wayne know at [url=https://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/JAVASCRIPT-BLOCKEDwindow.top.ZmObjectManager.__doClickObject(document.getElementById(%22OBJ_PREFIX_DWT13914_com_zimbra_email%22));]waltman51(at)comcast.net[/url].

Stay safe my friends,
Saber

<XP-82.png>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jblake207(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Fwd: XP-82 Twin Mustang Project Tour Reply with quote

Friends,

What a great weekend of formation flying and warbird fun! We met at Statesboro, Georgia Friday evening for a late afternoon / sunset photo flight then out to dinner. The next morning we made our way back to the airport where Wayne Altman had plenty of food, drinks and smoke oil to keep us going for the day. A special guest (not really cause he’s Red Star family) was Ahmed Ragheb who was stateside on business with Gulfstream and drove over Saturday morning just to say Hi and hang out for a few minutes before we departed for Douglas, GA.

We departed Statesboro as “Dog Flight” in honor of Wayne’s alma mater (Univ of GA) with five Red Stars… four doing some basic formation training enroute with “Dash Five” being the photo bird. Oh and we actually had a “Dash Six” counting the Bulldog piloted by Dewey Morgan acting as the recon bird launching 15 minutes before the main formation.

Upon arrival we did a couple of formation passes with smoke just to say hello to the crowd gathered for a local fly in… that we didn’t really know about beforehand. Here’s were a little confession may be helpful for my soul. In preflight, I briefed one formation and break to land upon arrival and then called for something else in flight. Considering how jammed the CTAF freq was, I should have stuck with the briefed plan, so our break-to-land formation could have been better… I take all the blame and will buy each member in the formation a drink of their choice at Waycross next month. STICK TO THE BRIEFING! (yelling at self here).

Upon landing, we were met by a couple other longtime friends who flew straight to Douglas, Tim and Craig. After a few minutes to speak to ole friends, we made our way over to the XP-82 restoration hanger where we were warmly met by Tom Reilly and Louisa “Weezie” Barendse who are primarily responsible for the restoration of the XP-82. They gave us a VIP tour and presentation on this very rare airplane. I don’t want to steal any thunder for future articles, so I’ll stop describing the visit here… suffice it to say, we were all overwhelmed with the scale and magnitude of this restoration.

I’ve included a couple pictures to give a shout out here to all those who attended and what they were flying… From left to right: I’m up front sporting the Army hat flying a CJ, Tom Reilly in the RPA Hat and RPA tee shirt, Louisa Barendse holding the new Swamp Fest tee shirt with Gator mascot (XP-82 restorers). Second row: Tim Williams in his T28, but also owns a YAK-52TW, Jimmy Burke YAK-52TW, Justin ? YAK and CJ expert A&P, Dewey Morgan in his Bulldog, Wayne Altman in a CJ-6 “Nail 29.” Back row: Hank “Hoot” Gibson in a CJ6, Garry Pope in a CJ-6 “Blackbird,” John “Gunny” Gibson as CJ6 GIB, Dr. Craig Winkelman in his Swift, but he also owns a CJ-6 and Ron “Jammer” Malec who is one of our longtime resident photogs and gets the award for longest drive. Behind the camera is Jay “Headset” Selman who was photog and CJ-6 GIB.

Thanks to all who attended and made the weekend memorable, but a special thanks to Wayne Altman for pulling all this together. As I always say, these airplanes bring us together, but it is the friendship and fellowship that keeps us coming back.

The invitation to Swamp Fest 12-15 October in Waycross, Georgia will be out in the next few days, so until then…

Stay safe my friends,
Saber

As always, if you’d like to be removed from this distro list just let me know.

To: "Yak-List Digest" <yak-list(at)matronics.com>

Stay safe my friends,
Saber

Shirt_presentation.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  802.56 KB
 Viewed:  2444 Time(s)

Shirt_presentation.png

Finger_Tip.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  877.41 KB

Finger_Tip.png

Stack.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 MB

Stack.png

Sunset.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  353.64 KB

Sunset.png

Underneath.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  305.3 KB

Underneath.png

XP-82.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  404.27 KB

XP-82.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: