Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final DAR or FAA Inspection Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duanefamly(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Final DAR or FAA Inspection Question Reply with quote

I had a quick question for mainly those in the USA that have had their projects inspected for their Airworthiness Certificate. How long did the inspectors take to perform their inspection and how invasive did they get past the normal inspection access covers being removed? My local inspectors have gone over my project once so far for about 1 1/2 hours and found about 6 items that they wanted modified. Two were good catches but minor (the rubber in a clamp was cracking due to age and a minor rub between the Stab and body), two were questionable (cleanliness of the rudder cables and the placement of an electrical tiedown), and no burn Certs for the material used for the cushions and the sidewalls (later found out that burn certs are not required for experimentals).
I have just rescheduled their return after finishing the list. They want to start at 9 am, want me to block out the entire day, and the whole next day, in case we need it.
My question….is this overboard? The inspectors are from the local FSDO since there is not a MIDO nearby. And they are inspectors for production aircraft. I hope they are versed in the regs for Experimental aircraft.
So just wanted to get a feel for the inspection timeframe.
Mike Duane
Las Vegas, NV

Sent from Windows Mail

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Final DAR or FAA Inspection Question Reply with quote

Mike,

We also used an inspector from the FSDO. He spent the afternoon with us. He didn't require anything opened except for normal access covers. He spent a lot of time looking at our photos and asking questions about the construction process. We think he was trying to assure himself that we did the build and had the necessary skills & knowledge. Like your inspector, he found two minor items (no rubber boots on battery terminal and labels for open/close on door latch) but issued the certificate that afternoon.

It does seem like they are being obsessive. But since they have started, we're not sure if you can ask them to stop and hire a DAR. From the experience of other builders in our EAA chapter, no one has had an inspection take more than a day. Not sure if you have any recourse or other options at this point.

Jim & Heather

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rehn(at)rockisland.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Final DAR or FAA Inspection Question Reply with quote

Duane
I think it must be different depending on FSDO office and inspector. I've had two airplanes inspected by the Seattle FSDO, both were more interested in proper paper work, the aircraft inspection was very fast, I recall about an hour or two for the whole process. You will at least get a good look over of your work, but based on my experience this seems excessive on their part.
Jerry

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 15, 2017, at 7:53 PM, <duanefamly(at)aol.com (duanefamly(at)aol.com)> <duanefamly(at)aol.com (duanefamly(at)aol.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I had a quick question for mainly those in the USA that have had their projects inspected for their Airworthiness Certificate. How long did the inspectors take to perform their inspection and how invasive did they get past the normal inspection access covers being removed? My local inspectors have gone over my project once so far for about 1 1/2 hours and found about 6 items that they wanted modified. Two were good catches but minor (the rubber in a clamp was cracking due to age and a minor rub between the Stab and body), two were questionable (cleanliness of the rudder cables and the placement of an electrical tiedown), and no burn Certs for the material used for the cushions and the sidewalls (later found out that burn certs are not required for experimentals).
I have just rescheduled their return after finishing the list. They want to start at 9 am, want me to block out the entire day, and the whole next day, in case we need it.
My question….is this overboard? The inspectors are from the local FSDO since there is not a MIDO nearby. And they are inspectors for production aircraft. I hope they are versed in the regs for Experimental aircraft.
So just wanted to get a feel for the inspection timeframe.
Mike Duane
Las Vegas, NV

Sent from Windows Mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: