Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tight TP5 and TP6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n7188u

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Tight TP5 and TP6 Reply with quote

Hello Europa Forum Members,

I am reaching you today about a question I have regarding the construction of my Europa.

I am making good progress in the kit A291 construction, having completed the skins for the ailerons and flaps (at least considering I only have Saturday's to do skin layups due to work and family obligations). And since my goal is to finish these layup jobs during the summer, I think I am in good shape to reach it.

So I now started working on the tailplanes. These components were completed, to a point right before applying the skins, by the previous kit owner.

I began work on the tailplanes by inspecting all previous work and it has been found to be satisfactory. The only problem I found is that although the fit of the TP4 torque tube is excellent in the Port tailplane, it is a little too tight on the Starboard side (probably due to having sat for a long time in a position that caused a little creep of the parts). By tight I mean that if in the port side, the TP4 tube can be slid into the tailplane just by sliding it in axially, in the starboard side, a back and forth rotation motion is needed to slide it in. It's not necessarily excessive, but it could be an issue when the last few centimeters that engage the torque pin and bushings is reached. I did lubricate the TP4 tube lightly.

Something I noticed if that if I reverse the torque tube (insert the port side into the starboard tailplane) the insertion is much easier, so there is a difference in diameter (or concentricity) of the tube from one side to the other. Tomorrow I will pull out my micrometers and will check.

In any case, I have decided that the friction is not excessive enough to tear things apart, particularly considering that these tailplanes have the mod 10672 so I fear that any attempt to remove and realign the bushings will end up destroying the cores badly.

So, what options do I have. For now I have inserted the TP4 tube in the tailplane to let it sit there until time comes to skin that tailplane. It may not do anything but in the hot Florida summer I am hoping the few parts holding the bushings together will creep a little (or maybe they wont). I guess the other two possible options are to lap the tube into the bushings lightly or somehow bring the starboard side of a tube in similar diameter size as the port side (as long as the issue is not concentricity).

Well, in any case, just tapping into the collective knowledge base to see what you guys have gone through regarding this issue.

One last thing that maybe worth mentioning is that the TP4 tube assembly has been modified with large aluminum clamps, components such as the TP12 welded to the TP4 tube and large brass and plastic knurled bearings to be attached to the fuselage. It is quite a nice job, although it does look a bit heavy (which will be the subject of another posting in the near future).

Best Regards,
Chris Martin
7FL6, USA
Long-EZ "Race 25"
Kolb Firestar II
Europa XS A291
Cozy MKIV (that will probably never be finished)

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tight TP5 and TP6 Reply with quote

Chris,

We also had a tight fit initially. But we use anti seize liberally and have not had a problem.

Jim & Heather

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tight TP5 and TP6 (now outboard rib cap issue) Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply J&H. I now think that the bushing friction issue will be fine.

However, I have found that the outboard rib flange (or cap) is not going to pass my strict inspection criteria Smile so I may need to come up with a way to rebuild the rib cap with minimal damage to the foam cores.

This may end up being the subject of a separate post but, in a nutshell, the cap is not tight against the foam in a number of places places as the glass goes around the corner of the cap and the glass protrudes too much over the foam. Since I REALLY don't want bumps on the glass skins that have to be hidden by building up with filler then I need to do something about cutting down and replacing the caps. The good news is that the cores are not glassed so I feel they can be taken apart. The decision will be on how to do it to minimize damage to the cores. I think that separating the outboard core will be easy except for the hole for the TP4 tube because these tailplanes have the 10672 mod.

Regards,

Chris Martin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: