Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADS-B "Saved" me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: ADS-B "Saved" me Reply with quote

On Sept 7 I was IFR westbound on V198 at 4,00ft talking to Eglin approach on my way to Milton, FL (2R4) when my SkyView display started giving me a "Traffic Warning". The ADS-B indicated I had traffic 3 miles out, approaching me head on at my same altitude. When the alert showed the traffic at 1 mile, still approaching me head on and still at my altitude I firmly pulled the nose up and turned to the right. A few seconds later I saw a twin engine airplane pass about 100ft below me to my left, where the ADS-B was showing.
When I got over the "scare" I told the controller, in a firm voice, what had just happened and that I was a little upset. The controller sheepishly told me it was a Seneca maneuvering in that area. Immediately after, a different voice came on the radio and told me the Seneca was behind me and no longer a factor. It gave me the impression the original controller, who was quite busy at the time, was a trainee.
You can see my "evasive" maneuver on the FlightAware Track Log from 20:56:21Z to 20:58:07Z. What you can't see there is the affect it had on my underwear. Wink
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N819PR/history/20170907/1830Z/KBQK/2R4/tracklog

When I got on the ground I filled out a NASA form just so my little grain of salt is entered into the system.

ADS-B is not a substitute for "see and avoid". But in this case I don't know if I would I have seen this traffic without the ADS-B "point out". Being able to know where to look was a significant factor in knowing what to do. I didn't actually see the other airplane until it was extremely close.
Remember, ADS-B "IN" is a re-broadcast (TIS-B) of traffic being sent to somebody with ADS-B "OUT". If you only have ADS-B "IN", the re-broadcast you receive is the traffic meant for the other guy, not necessarily the traffic near you. This can be VERY misleading and give a false sense of security for the person with only ADS-B in. I am so glad I have ADS-B "IN/OUT" in my airplane.
Smile

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Robert Reed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: ADS-B "Saved" me Reply with quote

Galin,
Glad to hear that everything worked out OK and that is positive confirmation of the value of the ADS-B IN/OUT System. Lot of plane owners upset about having to spend the big bucks to add to production aircraft but sounds like it just paid for itself in your case.
I am starting to acquire the components for a full Dynon based panel and while they are not "CHEAP" by any measure they seem to be much more reasonably priced than anything else when putting together a full panel. I know you got the Dynon Skyview system, are you pleased with it? Did you get the 10" display or the 7"? I am currently planning (if the money permits) on the 10" HDX to start and adding the 7" at a later date after flying. Also leaving panel space for Certified GPS/NAV/COM to enable IFR in the future. Already have the engine monitors, ADAHRS, and GPS-2020. Getting the components as needed and not before.
Bob
To: "kis-list(at)matronics.com" <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:03 PM
Subject: ADS-B "Saved" me

On Sept 7 I was IFR westbound on V198 at 4,00ft talking to Eglin approach on my way to Milton, FL (2R4) when my SkyView display started giving me a "Traffic Warning". The ADS-B indicated I had traffic 3 miles out, approaching me head on at my same altitude. When the alert showed the traffic at 1 mile, still approaching me head on and still at my altitude I firmly pulled the nose up and turned to the right. A few seconds later I saw a twin engine airplane pass about 100ft below me to my left, where the ADS-B was showing.
When I got over the "scare" I told the controller, in a firm voice, what had just happened and that I was a little upset. The controller sheepishly told me it was a Seneca maneuvering in that area. Immediately after, a different voice came on the radio and told me the Seneca was behind me and no longer a factor. It gave me the impression the original controller, who was quite busy at the time, was a trainee.
You can see my "evasive" maneuver on the FlightAware Track Log from 20:56:21Z to 20:58:07Z. What you can't see there is the affect it had on my underwear. Wink
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N819PR/history/20170907/1830Z/KBQK/2R4/tracklog

When I got on the ground I filled out a NASA form just so my little grain of salt is entered into the system.

ADS-B is not a substitute for "see and avoid". But in this case I don't know if I would I have seen this traffic without the ADS-B "point out". Being able to know where to look was a significant factor in knowing what to do. I didn't actually see the other airplane until it was extremely close.
Remember, ADS-B "IN" is a re-broadcast (TIS-B) of traffic being sent to somebody with ADS-B "OUT". If you only have ADS-B "IN", the re-broadcast you receive is the traffic meant for the other guy, not necessarily the traffic near you. This can be VERY misleading and give a false sense of security for the person with only ADS-B in. I am so glad I have ADS-B "IN/OUT" in my airplane.
Smile

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: ADS-B "Saved" me Reply with quote

I am SUPER pleased with my DYNON SkyView system especially their customer support. I have dual 7" displays with all the "bells & whistles". Here is a photo of my panel so you have an idea:

[img]cid:ii_j7mijgv90_15e87dd607508a73[/img]

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Galin,
Glad to hear that everything worked out OK and that is positive confirmation of the value of the ADS-B IN/OUT System.  Lot of plane owners upset about having to spend the big bucks to add to production aircraft but sounds like it just paid for itself in your case. 
I am starting to acquire the components for a full Dynon based panel and while they are not "CHEAP" by any measure they seem to be much more reasonably priced than anything else when putting together a full panel.  I know you got the Dynon Skyview system, are you pleased with it?  Did you get the 10" display or the 7"?  I am currently planning (if the money permits) on the 10" HDX to start and adding the 7" at a later date after flying.  Also leaving panel space for Certified GPS/NAV/COM to enable IFR in the future.  Already have the engine monitors, ADAHRS, and GPS-2020.  Getting the components as needed and not before.
Bob
From: Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)>
To: "kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)" <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:03 PM
Subject: ADS-B "Saved" me

Smile

N819PR_Panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.62 KB
 Viewed:  3949 Time(s)

N819PR_Panel.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: