Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pitch Trim tuning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Pitch Trim tuning Reply with quote

I am now in the process of final installation and testing the Elevator Trim system, and I could not find enough information on this.

Especially for those who finished building and are already flying, you probably already heard this question a thousand times, so please forgive hearing it once more.

When lowering the Pitch trim tabs, both go down simultaneously and both reach the bottom limit at the same time and angle.
But when they go the other direction, i.e trim tabs up, the right side tab goes till the limit but the left trim tab doesn’t. It goes up slower than the right tab, then stops moving and even reverses the movement, not reaching the upper angle limit.
Is this normal?

I did check all the Pitch trim system components, and they all seem to be installed by the plans.

Need help!
Carlos

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Lew Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Pitch Trim tuning Reply with quote

Hey Carlos,

I saved this from years ago. VERY common problem. I’ll attach as a PDF file.

Later, – Lew

Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2017 7:25 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Pitch Trim tuning

I am now in the process of final installation and testing the Elevator Trim system, and I could not find enough information on this.

Especially for those who finished building and are already flying, you probably already heard this question a thousand times, so please forgive hearing it once more.

When lowering the Pitch trim tabs, both go down simultaneously and both reach the bottom limit at the same time and angle.
But when they go the other direction, i.e trim tabs up, the right side tab goes till the limit but the left trim tab doesn’t. It goes up slower than the right tab, then stops moving and even reverses the movement, not reaching the upper angle limit.
Is this normal?

I did check all the Pitch trim system components, and they all seem to be installed by the plans.

Need help!
Carlos

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

El_trim.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  El_trim.pdf
 Filesize:  43.31 KB
 Downloaded:  322 Time(s)

NOW OFICIALLY BUILDER #40549
Fly off completed !
Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Pitch Trim tuning Reply with quote

Tim has an excellent writeup on his site explaining the issue and how to fix it:
http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/maintenance/20080622/index.html

It just recently saved my sanity trying to align my trim tabs after a trim bellcrank rework.
Lenny

On Sep 9, 2017, at 7:25 AM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Is this normal?

Need help!
Carlos

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Pitch Trim tuning Reply with quote

Excellent. I just did Bill's procedure to verify my trim. No need for digital level, nothing but Mk 1 eyeballs and a small ruler.

'My left tab was fine, my right tab needed one turn of adjustment. So I guess I will gain 5 kts on next flight. ;^)

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 5:40 AM, <lewgall(at)charter.net (lewgall(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Hey Carlos,

I saved this from years ago.  VERY common problem.  I’ll attach as a PDF file.

Later, – Lew

Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2017 7:25 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Pitch Trim tuning

Is this normal?

Need help!
Carlos 

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pitch Trim tuning Reply with quote

Not what you asked, but...
Most people find the stock trim speed about right for airspeeds less than 100 knots. For higher airspeeds it's nice to have a way of slowing the trim speed down.

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Pitch Trim tuning Reply with quote

Thank you Lew and Lenny

I will try to follow the documents you both sent/pointed me out, and see if I reach the right rigging.

But judging by what’s written on them, it seems that the correct position of the FULL NOSE DOWN is that the Right Tab is up (23-25 degrees) and the Left Tab is neutral, which seems odd to me.
It would appear that this position would cause some “distortion” to the tail ….!!?

What are everybody’s thoughts on this?

Carlos

De: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] Em nome de Lenard Iszak
Enviada: Saturday, September 9, 2017 2:13 PM
Para: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Assunto: Re: Pitch Trim tuning

Tim has an excellent writeup on his site explaining the issue and how to fix it:

It just recently saved my sanity trying to align my trim tabs after a trim bellcrank rework.

Lenny

On Sep 9, 2017, at 7:25 AM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:
Quote:

Is this normal?

Need help!
Carlos

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Pitch Trim tuning Reply with quote

Keep in mind that other RV models have only one trim tab.
What causes distortion is that at one point you can have one tab trimming up while the other is trimming down.

On Sep 10, 2017, at 2:33 PM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Thank you Lew and Lenny

I will try to follow the documents you both sent/pointed me out, and see if I reach the right rigging.

But judging by what’s written on them, it seems that the correct position of the FULL NOSE DOWN is that the Right Tab is up (23-25 degrees) and the Left Tab is neutral, which seems odd to me.
It would appear that this position would cause some “distortion” to the tail ….!!?

What are everybody’s thoughts on this?

Carlos

De: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] Em nome de Lenard Iszak
Enviada: Saturday, September 9, 2017 2:13 PM
Para: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Assunto: Re: Pitch Trim tuning

Lenny

Quote:

Is this normal?

Need help!
Carlos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: