Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WON'T START
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jblake207(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: WON'T START Reply with quote

Thanks Walt. I won't attempt to speculate on the over priming, but because of the possibility of hydraulic lock from fuel I pull the prop thru about 3-4 times after each prime... even on thru flights. JB

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 5:51:57 PM
Subject: Re: Re: WON'T START
Hi Jon;

The CJ primer is essentially identical to it’s Russian counterpart. It is the CJ fuel system that is different in that the Emergency fuel supply is provided by a hand operated wobble pump. As a result there is no need for the second function of the primer unit (Emergency fuel pump). With the simple addition of a jumper line (by the factory) connecting the two output ports it became an engine primer only from either side. No, it does not change the output fuel quantity.

Could be converted to work in the ‘52 system by simply removing the jumper.

After reading about Bill Dykes starting problems I wonder if over-priming may have something to do with it and if everyone involved is fully aware of the danger of hydraulic lock from that source.

Walt

From: JON (jblake207(at)comcast.net) Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 1:13 PM
To: Yak-List (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

With all the discussion about the primer on a YAK... I have this question about the primer on the CJ: How does rotating the primer counterclockwise or clockwise on a CJ differ? I'd heard that clockwise doubles the amount of fuel...true? JB

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 2:52:40 PM
Subject: Re: WON'T START

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bill1200" <billdykes52(at)hotmail.com>

Update

Checked spark at ignition coil wire, great bright blue spark up to 1/2 inch away from engine block so don't think that is the problem. Cleaned all contacts inside the cap and points

So, now I will check the plug gaps as noted above. How do I check to make sure the spark from the coil wire is getting to the plugs?

Don't think it's a fuel problem either, gets plenty of gas coming out of intake drain after priming

Stumped!!!!!!!!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=473269#473========================

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dabear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: WON'T START Reply with quote

Pull the prop through about 9-12 times (3 bladed prop).
Then prime.
Then Start.

If you really want to get a work out...
Pull the prop through
Then prime one shot
pull a blade
then prime one shot
pull a blade
then prime one shot
pull a blade
Then start.

Either works if the engine is timed right and you haven't over/under primed.

The engine should start after two blades have gone by or you have done something wrong in the process/engine is not setup correct. 

Bear

On 10/3/2017 8:26 AM, JON wrote:

[quote] Thanks Walt.  I won't attempt to speculate on the over priming, but because of the possibility of hydraulic lock from fuel I pull the prop thru about 3-4 times after each prime... even on thru flights.  JB

From: "Walter Lannon" <wlannon(at)shaw.ca> (wlannon(at)shaw.ca)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 5:51:57 PM

Hi Jon;

The CJ primer is essentially identical to it’s Russian counterpart.  It is the CJ fuel system that is different in that the Emergency fuel supply is provided by a hand operated wobble pump.   As a result there is no need for the second function of the primer unit (Emergency fuel pump).   With the simple addition of a jumper line (by the factory) connecting the two output ports it became an engine primer only from either side.  No, it does not change the output fuel quantity.

After reading about Bill Dykes starting problems I wonder if over-priming may have something to do with it and if everyone involved is fully aware of the danger of hydraulic lock from that source.

Walt

With all the discussion about the primer on a YAK... I have this question about the primer on the CJ:  How does rotating the primer counterclockwise or clockwise on a CJ differ?  I'd heard that clockwise doubles the amount of fuel...true?  JB

From: "Bill1200" <billdykes52(at)hotmail.com> (billdykes52(at)hotmail.com)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 2:52:40 PM
Subject: Re: WON'T START

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bill1200" <billdykes52(at)hotmail.com> (billdykes52(at)hotmail.com)

Update

Checked spark at ignition coil wire, great bright blue spark up to 1/2 inch away from engine block so don't think that is the problem. Cleaned all contacts inside the cap and points

So, now I will  check the plug gaps as noted above. How do I check to make sure the spark from the coil wire is getting to the plugs?

Don't think it's a fuel problem either, gets plenty of gas coming out of intake drain after priming

Stumped!!!!!!!!

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=473269#473========================

Virus-free

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

javiercarrascob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: WON'T START Reply with quote

Also is probably a good time to get a mech. Involve before you actually damage something
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

[quote] On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:41, dabear(at)damned.org
<dabear(at)damned.org> wrote:

Pull the prop through about 9-12 times (3 bladed prop). Then prime.
Then Start.

If you really want to get a work out...
Pull the prop through
Then prime one shot
pull a blade
then prime one shot
pull a blade
then prime one shot
pull a blade
Then start.
Either works if the engine is timed right and you haven't over/under primed.
The engine should start after two blades have gone by or you have done something wrong in the process/engine is not setup correct. 

Bear On 10/3/2017 8:26 AM, JON wrote:
[quote] Thanks Walt. I won't attempt to speculate on the over priming, but because of the possibility of hydraulic lock from fuel I pull the prop thru about 3-4 times after each prime... even on thru flights. JB

From: "Walter Lannon" <wlannon(at)shaw.ca> (wlannon(at)shaw.ca) To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 5:51:57 PM Subject: Re: Re: WON'T START
Hi Jon;

The CJ primer is essentially identical to it’s Russian counterpart. It is the CJ fuel system that is different in that the Emergency fuel supply is provided by a hand operated wobble pump. As a result there is no need for the second function of the primer unit (Emergency fuel pump). With the simple addition of a jumper line (by the factory) connecting the two output ports it became an engine primer only from either side. No, it does not change the output fuel quantity.

Walt

With all the discussion about the primer on a YAK... I have this question about the primer on the CJ: How does rotating the primer counterclockwise or clockwise on a CJ differ? I'd heard that clockwise doubles the amount of fuel...true? JB

From: "Bill1200" <billdykes52(at)hotmail.com> (billdykes52(at)hotmail.com) To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 2:52:40 PM Subject: Re: WON'T START
--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bill1200" <billdykes52(at)hotmail.com> (billdykes52(at)hotmail.com)
Update
So, now I will check the plug gaps as noted above

Bill1200

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WON'T START Reply with quote

Update

Followed the starting procedure found in "the Definitive Pilots Operating Handbook" which is in part a translation of the Russian Handbook

Basically, one prime pump for every 10 degrees below 100 degrees C
So, this morning it was 68 degrees with an overnight low of 48

8 prime pumps while turning the prop, got in the plane, primed the system side 4 times, fired up immediately! Took 2 people but worth it

I also followed one of the responders suggestion to gap the plugs to .018

So, that would suggest to me that it is not a serious timing or bad component problem, more likely a fuel/air mixture, cold engine issue

Thanks to all

LawnDart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WON'T START Reply with quote

How was your last compression test(s)?

byronmfox(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: WON'T START Reply with quote

Last year on a particularly chilly California morning, (yes, we do have them) I had a terrible time starting my M-14P.  So seeking wisdom from the fount of all M-14P knowledge, I called Vladimir Yastremski in hopes of learning some crafty technique.

Upon hearing my problem, Vlad sighed wearily, "Bleetz, vat can I say? It'z pilot error. Book saz, below 53 degrees must preheat oil. Buy heating pads for sump and oil tank. Problem solved."
I did and it was.
On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Bill1200 <billdykes52(at)hotmail.com (billdykes52(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bill1200" <billdykes52(at)hotmail.com (billdykes52(at)hotmail.com)>

Update

Followed the starting procedure found in "the Definitive Pilots Operating Handbook" which is in part a translation of the Russian Handbook

8 prime pumps while turning the prop, got in the plane, primed the system side 4 times, fired up immediately! Took 2 people but worth it

So, that would suggest to me that it is not a serious timing or bad component problem, more likely a fuel/air mixture, cold engine issue

Thanks to all

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=473308#473308

====================================
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
... Blitz
[img]https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B_Mqbj1Pr-xVTXVKN0t1SlVGT2M&revid=0B_Mqbj1Pr-xVcW0vU2crV2hMeVBQdVBmYWlaT0w2cVF3K2xBPQ[/img]

Byron M. Fox
80 Milland Drive
Mill Valley, CA 94941
415-307-2405

Rob Rowe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: WON'T START Reply with quote

Also in the original manual it recommends, after cylinder priming, to wait for the fuel to vapourise for 1-2 minutes in summer & 4-5 in winter before starting from cold.

This pause makes it much more likely to fire up first time, as engines run on vapour not liquid, and the supercharger priming point is a long way from the cylinder heads.

Hence why pulling through per prime also helps as it provides a fresh impeller surface area to vapourise fuel from.

Don't forget to prime the system side again just before start, to purge any bubbles in the fuel system, as pressure carbs are akin to single point fuel injection systems in being intolerant of even momentary fuel pressure drops.

IMHO this is the most common cause of failed starts and the cheapest to fix Smile

Rob R.

Bill1200 wrote:
Update

Thanks to all
Code:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: