Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wing center gap seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

I need to add the center gap seal to the (1st gen) Twinstar I'm restoring. The project came with a new, uninstalled, fabric seal with a zipper down the middle. I've already recovered and painted (latex house paint) the wings, & failed to mask off any fabric to attach the seal.

Looking at the way the seal is made, it appears to wrap around the motor mount at the top rear, and wrap around the leading edge tubes in front and extend back almost to the wing attach/pivot points on the bottom.
After a quick look around the interwebs, it would appear that several different other methods have been employed over the years, including a plexi seal offered by Kolb. I also remember comments about using aluminum. 
So, my questions: 
How far back must the seal extend on top? Is it worth the trouble to run it back past the front of the motor mount? What about under the leading edge? Does it help to carry it all the way to the wing attach points, or can it simply wrap around the leading edge tubes?
For attachment, should it be velcro'd to each wing along its entire length, or is it adequate to simply wrap it around the wing with attachments at the rear and under the leading edge (or at the wing attach)?
Thanks for your insight,
Charlie

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

On 10/5/2017 8:56 AM, Charlie England wrote:
Quote:
I need to add the center gap seal to the (1st gen) Twinstar I'm
restoring. The project came with a new, uninstalled, fabric seal with
a zipper down the middle. I've already recovered and painted (latex
house paint) the wings, & failed to mask off any fabric to attach the
seal.

Looking at the way the seal is made, it appears to wrap around the
motor mount at the top rear, and wrap around the leading edge tubes in
front and extend back almost to the wing attach/pivot points on the
bottom.

After a quick look around the interwebs, it would appear that several
different other methods have been employed over the years, including a
plexi seal offered by Kolb. I also remember comments about using
aluminum.

So, my questions:
How far back must the seal extend on top? Is it worth the trouble to
run it back past the front of the motor mount? What about under the
leading edge? Does it help to carry it all the way to the wing attach
points, or can it simply wrap around the leading edge tubes?

For attachment, should it be velcro'd to each wing along its entire
length, or is it adequate to simply wrap it around the wing with
attachments at the rear and under the leading edge (or at the wing
attach)?

Thanks for your insight,

Charlie
And, I forgot to ask; which material gets your vote?

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

I have always used the lexan gap seal and attempted to cover and block as much of the gap area that I can. MIne has a section of alum. bent to go over the leading edge tubes. I use a small bungee cord to keep it up tight against the tubes. the sides are secured to the wings with velcro. Most of the Mark III's make up a "hard" section that slides in between the wings that consists of a couple of ribs that the lexan is secured to.

The installation of the HKS presented a problem because of the location of the muffler. 
Larry 
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I need to add the center gap seal to the (1st gen) Twinstar I'm restoring. The project came with a new, uninstalled, fabric seal with a zipper down the middle. I've already recovered and painted (latex house paint) the wings, & failed to mask off any fabric to attach the seal.

Looking at the way the seal is made, it appears to wrap around the motor mount at the top rear, and wrap around the leading edge tubes in front and extend back almost to the wing attach/pivot points on the bottom.
After a quick look around the interwebs, it would appear that several different other methods have been employed over the years, including a plexi seal offered by Kolb. I also remember comments about using aluminum. 
So, my questions: 
How far back must the seal extend on top? Is it worth the trouble to run it back past the front of the motor mount? What about under the leading edge? Does it help to carry it all the way to the wing attach points, or can it simply wrap around the leading edge tubes?
For attachment, should it be velcro'd to each wing along its entire length, or is it adequate to simply wrap it around the wing with attachments at the rear and under the leading edge (or at the wing attach)?
Thanks for your insight,
Charlie

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

engine_front.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.4 MB
 Viewed:  11002 Time(s)

engine_front.JPG

engine_right_side.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB
 Viewed:  11002 Time(s)

engine_right_side.JPG

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

I restored my original Firestar earlier this year which originally used the zipper in the middle type gap seal. I talked to Brian at Kolb and he assured me that their new Velcro on gap would work just fine. I took his advice and had Helen at Kolb make me one . It was extremely easy to install and works great. I also built a Twinstar many year ago. This new one would have great on it. That just my experience,  I like easy and availability. I’ll attach a picture 

George H. 
Firestar FS 100
14GDH 
Mesick, Michigan 
gdhelton(at)gmail.com[img]cid:15eef1d42a36e63c7bd1[/img]

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I have always used the lexan gap seal and attempted to cover and block as much of the gap area that I can. MIne has a section of alum. bent to go over the leading edge tubes. I use a small bungee cord to keep it up tight against the tubes. the sides are secured to the wings with velcro. Most of the Mark III's make up a "hard" section that slides in between the wings that consists of a couple of ribs that the lexan is secured to.

The installation of the HKS presented a problem because of the location of the muffler. 
Larry 

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

So, my questions: 
Thanks for your insight,
Charlie

--

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

--

Have a great day!

2569DD2F-3B47-459B-A713-14D492D08747.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.92 MB
 Viewed:  10991 Time(s)

2569DD2F-3B47-459B-A713-14D492D08747.jpeg

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

Well shucks; more to contemplate. Smile

Looks like either option requires velcro, so  I'll get a roll of wide stuff on order while I contemplate materials.

Thank you for the pic, and the ideas.

Charlie

On 10/5/2017 7:37 PM, George Helton wrote:

Quote:
I restored my original Firestar earlier this year which originally used the zipper in the middle type gap seal. I talked to Brian at Kolb and he assured me that their new Velcro on gap would work just fine. I took his advice and had Helen at Kolb make me one . It was extremely easy to install and works great. I also built a Twinstar many year ago. This new one would have great on it. That just my experience,  I like easy and availability. I’ll attach a picture 

George H. 
Firestar FS 100
14GDH 
Mesick, Michigan 
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Larry 

Quote:

So, my questions: 

Thanks for your insight,

Charlie

--

--

Have a great day!

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

The one inch will be plenty. When you get ready to take which ever gap seal
you decide on, get yourself a couple strips of Lexan and slip it between
the two halves, and it comes off nice and easy.

Larry
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

[quote] Well shucks; more to contemplate. Smile

Looks like either option requires velcro, so I'll get a roll of wide
stuff on order while I contemplate materials.

Charlie

I restored my original Firestar earlier this year which originally used
the zipper in the middle type gap seal. I talked to Brian at Kolb and he
assured me that their new Velcro on gap would work just fine. I took his
advice and had Helen at Kolb make me one . It was extremely easy to install
and works great. I also built a Twinstar many year ago. This new one would
have great on it. That just my experience, I like easy and availability.
I’ll attach a picture
George H.
Firestar FS 100
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have always used the lexan gap seal and attempted to cover and block as
> much of the gap area that I can. MIne has a section of alum. bent to go
> over the leading edge tubes. I use a small bungee cord to keep it up tight
> against the tubes. the sides are secured to the wings with velcro. Most of
> the Mark III's make up a "hard" section that slides in between the wings
> that consists of a couple of ribs that the lexan is secured to.
>
> The installation of the HKS presented a problem because of the location
> of the muffler.
>
> Larry
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I need to add the center gap seal to the (1st gen) Twinstar I'm
>> restoring. The project came with a new, uninstalled, fabric seal with a
>> zipper down the middle. I've already recovered and painted (latex house
>> paint) the wings, & failed to mask off any fabric to attach the seal.
>>
>> Looking at the way the seal is made, it appears to wrap around the motor
>> mount at the top rear, and wrap around the leading edge tubes in front and
>> extend back almost to the wing attach/pivot points on the bottom.
>>
>> After a quick look around the interwebs, it would appear that several
>> different other methods have been employed over the years, including a
>> plexi seal offered by Kolb. I also remember comments about using aluminum.
>>
>> So, my questions:
>> How far back must the seal extend on top? Is it worth the trouble to run
>> it back past the front of the motor mount? What about under the leading
>> edge? Does it help to carry it all the way to the wing attach points, or
>> can it simply wrap around the leading edge tubes?
>>
>> For attachment, should it be velcro'd to each wing along its entire
>> length, or is it adequate to simply wrap it around the wing with
>> attachments at the rear and under the leading edge (or at the wing attach)?
>>
>> Thanks for your insight,
>>
>> Charlie
>>
>
> --
> *The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of
> others.*
>
> *If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email
> address before sending.*
>
--
Have a great day!

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon> Virus-free

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

Great! one inch is easier to get, cheaper, etc. I like the separator idea, too.

Charlie

On 10/5/2017 9:25 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:

Quote:
The one inch will be plenty. When you get ready to take which ever gap seal you decide on, get yourself a couple strips of Lexan and slip it between the two halves, and it comes off nice and easy.

Larry

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Well shucks; more to contemplate. Smile

Looks like either option requires velcro, so  I'll get a roll of wide stuff on order while I contemplate materials.

Charlie

Quote:

George H. 
Firestar FS 100
14GDH 
Mesick, Michigan 
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Quote:

Larry 

Quote:

So, my questions: 

Thanks for your insight,

Charlie

--

--

Have a great day!

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_-7813683466236448516_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

--

west1m

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

I went back to an aluminium gap seal after my cloth one shred it self. You can kind of see it coming apart in this screen grab form a video.
It was made of the same fabric as Quicksilver sail cloth. The Lexan would be nice as well.

gapseal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.14 KB
 Viewed:  10965 Time(s)

gapseal.jpg

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

Looks good, and relatively simple to do. The fabric just looks difficult to keep properly tensioned, so I think I'll try either the plastic or aluminum sheet.
Is your Lexan standing up ok to fuel exposure?
Thanks for both the info, and the pics.
Charlie
On Oct 5, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Larry
Quote:

So, my questions:
Thanks for your insight,
Charlie

--

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

If you get gas on it, it will be ugly. There is compensation in that my neck is so stiff that I can't see it when I am sitting down and I am old enough to forget that there is a problem quite soon after sitting.Larry
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Looks good, and relatively simple to do. The fabric just looks difficult to keep properly tensioned, so I think I'll try either the plastic or aluminum sheet.
Charlie
On Oct 5, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Larry 
Quote:

So, my questions: 
Thanks for your insight,
Charlie

--

--

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

I hear you. Sometimes my wife has to remind me about what I'm working on.
Charlie
On Oct 6, 2017, at 3:04 PM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
If you get gas on it, it will be ugly. There is compensation in that my neck is so stiff that I can't see it when I am sitting down and I am old enough to forget that there is a problem quite soon after sitting.Larry
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Charlie
Quote:

Larry
Quote:

So, my questions:
Thanks for your insight,
Charlie

--

--

Charlieoneseven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: wing center gap seal Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have one of the first Firestar’s and that gap doesn’t prevent me from flying without it. In fact since it is not part of the wing or fuselage I would not want to depart into my prop. Don’t ask me how I know that. I have wondered how others deal with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: