Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twinstar Mk I weight & balance?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Twinstar Mk I weight & balance? Reply with quote

Getting ready to weigh the Twinstar. Anyone have a clue what part of the airframe can be leveled, to put it in flight attitude? On this one, leveling the top tube gives about 5 degrees positive AOA on the bottom of the airfoil. Does this sound about right for doing W&B? Was there ever a preferred datum point on these old planes?

Thanks,
Charlie


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List



Kolb_complete_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  251.15 KB
 Viewed:  811 Time(s)

Kolb_complete_(Medium).jpg


Back to top
gdhelton(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Twinstar Mk I weight & balance? Reply with quote

Charlie, I’m pretty sure the wings leading edge is the preferred datum. On a level surface the bottom of the wing should be set 8 or 9 degrees by raising or lowering the tail. It’s looking pretty nice in your picture. 
George H. 
Firestar, FS100
Mesick, Michigan 
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 4:10 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Getting ready to weigh the Twinstar. Anyone have a clue what part of the airframe can be leveled, to put it in flight attitude? On this one, leveling the top tube gives about 5 degrees positive AOA on the bottom of the airfoil. Does this sound about right for doing W&B? Was there ever a preferred datum point on these old planes?

Thanks,
Charlie



--

Have a great day!


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Twinstar Mk I weight & balance? Reply with quote

Thanks, George; I appreciate it. 

My a&p buddy was guessing at 2-3 degrees of actual angle of attack, so I'll need to adjust a bit.

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM, George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Charlie, I’m pretty sure the wings leading edge is the preferred datum. On a level surface the bottom of the wing should be set 8 or 9 degrees by raising or lowering the tail. It’s looking pretty nice in your picture. 
George H. 
Firestar, FS100
Mesick, Michigan 
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 4:10 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Getting ready to weigh the Twinstar. Anyone have a clue what part of the airframe can be leveled, to put it in flight attitude? On this one, leveling the top tube gives about 5 degrees positive AOA on the bottom of the airfoil. Does this sound about right for doing W&B? Was there ever a preferred datum point on these old planes?

Thanks,
Charlie



--

Have a great day!


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
rickofudall



Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Posts: 1325
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Twinstar Mk I weight & balance? Reply with quote

Charlie, Set the horizontal stabilizer level. As for datum, it doesn't matter as long as you're consistent with your measuring and you don't get minus and plus measurements if your datum is somewhere in the middle of the plane. I use a point 20 inches in front of the nose, that way all numbers are positive. You could just as easily make it 20 inches aft of the tail. It doesn't matter.

Rick Girard
Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, George; I appreciate it. 

My a&p buddy was guessing at 2-3 degrees of actual angle of attack, so I'll need to adjust a bit.

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM, George Helton <gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Charlie, I’m pretty sure the wings leading edge is the preferred datum. On a level surface the bottom of the wing should be set 8 or 9 degrees by raising or lowering the tail. It’s looking pretty nice in your picture. 
George H. 
Firestar, FS100
Mesick, Michigan 
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 4:10 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Getting ready to weigh the Twinstar. Anyone have a clue what part of the airframe can be leveled, to put it in flight attitude? On this one, leveling the top tube gives about 5 degrees positive AOA on the bottom of the airfoil. Does this sound about right for doing W&B? Was there ever a preferred datum point on these old planes?

Thanks,
Charlie



--

Have a great day!





--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group