Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glasair-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 10/25/17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Glasair-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 10/25/17 Reply with quote

Some builders believe planes fly because of air going over the top of a wing. Research has discovered the vacuum caused by air passing over the top creates less than 5% of the lift. The only reason for having a smooth top surfaces is to prevent bubbling turbulence from getting under the wing. You should also have tight clearances between the ailerons, flaps, elevator and rudder. And I have caulk in most of the seams. I also tape the bottom control surface gaps to have smoother air. The actual reason planes fly is air deflecting off the bottom at a near right angle to the bottom of a wing. Planes actually hydroplane through the air displacing the aircrafts' weight in air molecules. Formula One's find dull leading edge racers to be faster than shiny..go figure When a Glasair is at cruise speed only the first third of the bottom of a wing is deflecting air. With that in mind one should be careful about changing engineered wing incidence. I added a half degree to my stabilizer to avoid having drag creating down trim. When at cruise I can look aft and see that my elevator is lined up. The more down trim the more drag.  If you fly a fixed trike, draw a center line on the hanger floor and use it to align the wheel pants. Wheel pants off centered by only a degree or so can slow you way down. My biggest increase in performance was getting rid of a lot of weight that cause the nose to lift turning the front of the lower cowling into a battering ram and by converting to a symmetrical prop followed by scraping the factory power robbing exhaust to a NASCAR mechanic designed one that he now sells. While in the subject of exhausts, ..don't install a straight out version on a Two because the swirling exhaust gases will deform the bottom wing panel cover. Just talked to a builder that drilled three holes in carbon with out using a dust mask and has had a cough for two years!!
Charles Raymond
craymondw(at)aol.com

--

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: