Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carburetor flange on 912S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenwpitt(at)me.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Carburetor flange on 912S Reply with quote

I am biting the bullet and renewing various items on my Rotax 912S.
I have kept photo records of the flanges at each service, and not noticed any wear as the carburettors and airbox seem well supported.
So what is the common view on changing the flanges as time expired products?
Rotax bulleting SB-912-030R1 seems to suggest only certain engines need changing but what is the perceived wisdom from the Rotax owners out there?
Also where does one acquire these at the eyewaterinw price that I have seen on the internet?
Thanks
Steve Pitt
912S on a trigear

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Burrilla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Carburetor flange on 912S Reply with quote

I think you’ll find that Skydrive source replacements direct from Bing and they are less eye watering in price.

I changed mine after they had done, according to the records more than fiver years and it may have been longer. They had no cracks even though I’ve prodded and poked them very well but changed them anyway as I have with a number of items since buying the aircraft to get a known vintage on life parts.

In MHO if you have the air box fitted and it is well supported then the carbs don’t move on the mounts as much as those who use the cone filters and relying on the springs Rotax put on the carb, hence putting less strain on the rubber flanges.

Alan
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 7 Nov 2017, at 21:28, Steven Pitt <stevenwpitt(at)me.com> wrote:

I have kept photo records of the flanges at each service, and not noticed any wear as the carburettors and airbox seem well supported.
Rotax bulleting SB-912-030R1 seems to suggest only certain engines need changing but what is the perceived wisdom from the Rotax owners out there?
Also where does one acquire these at the eyewaterinw price that I have seen on the internet?
Thanks
Steve Pitt
912S on a trigear

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Carburetor flange on 912S Reply with quote

Steve,
The carb flange life is dependent on care and how well your plane is tuned. A tuned Rotax places little vibration on the carbs. A properly supported airbox prevents any further vibration.  A bit of care during carb removal at a two year carb rebuild prevents damage also, so I too have a perfectly good set of 5 year old carb flanges on the shelf collecting dust as spares if I crack one of mine during maintenance. I won’t change the flanges on the carb until one gets cracked during a carb overhaul or service.

As for the other rubber. Heat and shielding and mechanical damage determines the mean time between failure. A Rotax, in-cowled, kept outside on a microlight needs a 5 year change for sure, as it is exposed to UV. The lower coolant hoses, just above the exhaust, I change at 5 years unless they are silicone and shielded, due to heat exposure.

The 914 vent tubes can crack in 5 years, so I bite the bullet and keep spare hose on hand and change it out at 5 years.

The oil sump line on the bottom banjo (even though it is shielded) I check every 25 hours, as the reflective heat on that stupidly close fitting makes it suspect. I wish that was a solid steel line. I may make one someday.

Otherwise, if you have rubber hoses on top of the engine, I think 10 years is a reasonable time change. If you have silicone hose, definitely 10 years. Proper silicone hose is very good, I even put a torch to one to see how long it would last at 1500F. It got white and held pressure.

That is my opinion after doing a few 5 year hose changes.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Steven Pitt <stevenwpitt(at)me.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:28:13 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Carburetor flange on 912S

--> Europa-List message posted by: Steven Pitt <stevenwpitt(at)me.com>

Thanks
Steve Pitt
912S on a trigear
===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: