Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleveland Wheel Bearings

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dave Saylor



Joined: 11 Jan 2015
Posts: 115
Location: GILROY, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings?  I found Timken nose bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is running about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be this way.  But my search for LM274949-2-629 is coming up short.  

Has someone had success with an alternate number?  Besides the Cleveland number?
Thanks,
--Dave


- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
--Dave
KWVI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Don Orrick



Joined: 08 Dec 2007
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Local auto parts store can order them or a local bearing supply co can get them

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Nov 7, 2017, at 6:26 PM, David Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings? I found Timken nose bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is running about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be this way. But my search for LM274949-2-629 is coming up short.

Has someone had success with an alternate number? Besides the Cleveland number?

Thanks,

--Dave




- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
toaster73(at)embarqmail.c
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

I'll second the possible auto parts angle the following is my order from a few years ago after hurricane high water got on my wheels and I couldn't get them apart in time to prevent corrosion.
These aren't the FAA/PMA flavor but they have been running fine for 300 hours and 4 conditional inspections. Double check the numbers and my research.
-Chris
N919AR

Quote:
Motion Industries
Release No:                             Date:         10/13/2011
F.O.B:        FOB ORG,FRT PP&ADD                 
Terms:        .         CASH                     
Delivery:     STOCK UNLESS NOTED                 
Qty    Description                                          Requested Date

  4.0    TIMKEN       LM29749 CONE                               10/19/2011
                    Item No..........: 00658750
                    Cust Stk No .....:
                    Price............: 15.120                      60.48



  4.0    TIMKEN       LM29710 CUP                                10/19/2011
                    Item No..........: 00658736
                    Cust Stk No .....:
                    Price............: 9.360                        37.44




                              SUBTOTAL                           97.92
                              FREIGHT*                            9.89
                              TAX                                 7.28
                              TOTAL**                           115.09




From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David Saylor
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 7:27 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings


Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings? I found Timken nose bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is running about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be this way. But my search for LM274949-2-629 is coming up short.


Has someone had success with an alternate number? Besides the Cleveland number?



Thanks,



--Dave


- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Tim Olson



Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 2702

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Yeah I've taken them in to a local place in town before
called "Bearing Headquarters" and they can get just
about anything.
Tim

On 11/7/2017 7:17 PM, Don Orrick wrote:
Quote:


Local auto parts store can order them or a local bearing supply co can get them

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 7, 2017, at 6:26 PM, David Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings? I found Timken nose bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is running about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be this way. But my search for LM274949-2-629 is coming up short.
>
> Has someone had success with an alternate number? Besides the Cleveland number?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Dave


- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kellym



Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 1464
Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Once you get replacements, be aware that Cleveland has changed their
grease recommendations. Aeroshell #5 is no longer 1st choice.
First choice is Mobil SHC 100, which is a red synthetic grease.
Skygeek carries an appropriate sized tube. The rest of suppliers, last I
looked only carry 5 lbs and up.
I do not know reason Cleveland changed their recommendation.
Kelly

On 11/7/2017 7:07 PM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:


Yeah I've taken them in to a local place in town before
called "Bearing Headquarters" and they can get just
about anything.
Tim

On 11/7/2017 7:17 PM, Don Orrick wrote:
>
>
> Local auto parts store can order them or a local bearing supply co can
> get them
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 7, 2017, at 6:26 PM, David Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings? I found Timken
>> nose bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is
>> running about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains. I'm pretty sure it
>> doesn't have to be this way. But my search for LM274949-2-629 is
>> coming up short.
>>
>> Has someone had success with an alternate number? Besides the
>> Cleveland number?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Dave
>>
>>





- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Saylor



Joined: 11 Jan 2015
Posts: 115
Location: GILROY, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Thank you Chris, that's just what I needed.  --Dave

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Chris <toaster73(at)embarqmail.com (toaster73(at)embarqmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I'll second the possible auto parts angle the following is my order from a few years ago after hurricane high water got on my wheels and I couldn't get them apart in time to prevent corrosion.
These aren't the FAA/PMA flavor but they have been running fine for 300 hours and 4 conditional inspections. Double check the numbers and my research.
-Chris
N919AR
 
Quote:
Motion Industries
Release No:                             Date:         10/13/2011
F.O.B:        FOB ORG,FRT PP&ADD                 
Terms:        .         CASH                     
Delivery:     STOCK UNLESS NOTED                 
Qty    Description                                          Requested Date

  4.0    TIMKEN       LM29749 CONE                               10/19/2011
                    Item No..........: 00658750
                    Cust Stk No .....:
                    Price............: 15.120                      60.48



  4.0    TIMKEN       LM29710 CUP                                10/19/2011
                    Item No..........: 00658736
                    Cust Stk No .....:
                    Price............: 9.360                        37.44




                              SUBTOTAL                           97.92
                              FREIGHT*                            9.89
                              TAX                                 7.28
                              TOTAL**                           115.09
 

 
 
 
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of David Saylor
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 7:27 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RV10-List: Cleveland Wheel Bearings

 
Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings?  I found Timken nose bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is running about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be this way.  But my search for LM274949-2-629 is coming up short.  
 

Has someone had success with an alternate number?  Besides the Cleveland number?

 

Thanks,

 

--Dave

 

 



- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
--Dave
KWVI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Request for background: What kind off experience have people had with
failing/damaged/rusting wheel bearings vis-a-vis maintenance of wheel
bearing?

I operate off a sometimes wet and mushy field where my wheels get quite
a dousing.  Each condition inspection, I've been repacking the
bearings.  So far I have seen any signs of rusting - is there something
else I should be looking for?

Bill "6 years and 900+ hours on same bearings, color me curious" Watson

On 11/7/2017 7:26 PM, David Saylor wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings? I found Timken nose
bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is running
about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains. I'm pretty sure it doesn't
have to be this way.  But my search for LM274949-2-629 is coming up
short.

Has someone had success with an alternate number?  Besides the
Cleveland number?

Thanks,

--Dave


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Dave Saylor



Joined: 11 Jan 2015
Posts: 115
Location: GILROY, CA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Right, SHC 100 looks a lot like Mobil 28 but it's lighter red IIRC.  I used it last year.

--Dave

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Once you get replacements, be aware that Cleveland has changed their grease recommendations. Aeroshell #5 is no longer 1st choice.
First choice is Mobil SHC 100, which is a red synthetic grease.
Skygeek carries an appropriate sized tube. The rest of suppliers, last I looked only carry 5 lbs and up.
I do not know reason Cleveland changed their recommendation.
Kelly

On 11/7/2017 7:07 PM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com>

Yeah I've taken them in to a local place in town before
called "Bearing Headquarters" and they can get just
about anything.
Tim

On 11/7/2017 7:17 PM, Don Orrick wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Don Orrick <don.orrick(at)yahoo.com (don.orrick(at)yahoo.com)>

Local auto parts store can order them or a local bearing supply co can get them

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Nov 7, 2017, at 6:26 PM, David Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings?  I found Timken nose bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is running about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be this way.  But my search for LM274949-2-629 is coming up short.

Has someone had success with an alternate number?  Besides the Cleveland number?

Thanks,

--Dave





===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========





- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
--Dave
KWVI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Saylor



Joined: 11 Jan 2015
Posts: 115
Location: GILROY, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Cleveland Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Bill,

I'll send some pictures of the bearings I'm replacing. The rollers and cones are pitted.
If what you're doing is keeping the bearings in good shape, just keep doing it. It's pretty obvious when they fail.  In my experience, once the cup or a roller shows even the tiniest pit/mark/dent/chip, it only takes a few hours of operation to go from "I could probably live with that" to "get that thing off my plane".
--Dave

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:59 AM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)>

Request for background: What kind off experience have people had with failing/damaged/rusting wheel bearings vis-a-vis maintenance of wheel bearing?

I operate off a sometimes wet and mushy field where my wheels get quite a dousing.  Each condition inspection, I've been repacking the bearings.  So far I have seen any signs of rusting - is there something else I should be looking for?

Bill "6 years and 900+ hours on same bearings, color me curious" Watson

On 11/7/2017 7:26 PM, David Saylor wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have a good source for wheel bearings? I found Timken nose bearings for about $40 but the my shopping cart at Vans is running about $650 for all 8 pcs for the mains. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be this way.  But my search for LM274949-2-629 is coming up short.

Has someone had success with an alternate number?  Besides the Cleveland number?

Thanks,

--Dave




---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
====================================
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
====================================
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================





- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
--Dave
KWVI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group